1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

LOVE CHANGES EVERYTHING

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We were created to love God and to love others. A focus on increasing in love for people (platonic) is a key for quitting. When we replace our unhealthy thoughts with love, we make progress. Love is doubly important because when we are weak with it, isolation increases and addiction thrives in isolation. But when we fight to increase in love we start to reverse the tendency to put “something” as more important than people or God.

To begin, we focus and pray about making love a priority.

Pray: “Father, take away my spirit of lust and fill me with a love for others.”

Love is patient. Pray: “Father, help me to be patient and help me to care about people.”

Love is kind. Pray: “Father, take away my spirit of lust and help me to increase in kindness.”

Love does not envy. Pray: Father, help me to be content with the pleasures that lead to joy. Help me to not envy pleasures that lead to destruction.”

It is impossible to pray: “Father, fill me with Your love,” too often. God is love. Increasing in love starts to force our bad stuff out. Praying about love is a powerful tool for fighting habits.

Tao Jones likes this.
  2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

A lack of love opens the door for addiction wide open. In my past, I would sometimes “Shut people out and retreat to my addiction.” The problem with that type of behavior is that what comes around goes around. Often these people start losing interest in my happiness as well. And later they might not treat me so perfect either.

This is why we need to pray: “Father, take away my focus on pleasure and fill me with Your Spirit of love.”

Next, we need to realize that we need to fix some of the problems we have created in the past with spouses, coworkers, friends, and family members. We need to focus on how we mistreated them first, instead of how they are mistreating us now.

If we fail to increase in love for others we are disobeying one of the two most important commands (Jesus said this) in the Bible: “To love your neighbor as you love yourself.” On the other hand, when we do increase in love we are welcoming the Holy Spirit to fill us with His power and love.

Next, it is wise to imagine how great our lives could be if we would increase in love and increase in obedience. Here is the thing. It does not matter if you believe a word I say. It matters if you try to do the things the Bible says and see if they work.

Lastly, watch that person at church who has that love and joy. Try what they are doing. In all likelihood, you can have a great life as they have as well.

WilliamJ.F. and Tao Jones like this.
  3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

A huge key to change is to know someone who can help you. Maybe you grew up in an environment where everybody gave in to lust to some extent. Maybe that is still the case. But, if it is, it is vital to change that. If you could start being around someone who passionately loves and obeys God, they would undoubtedly influence you. So... find that person and become their friend. People like this are trying to fulfill their purpose. They want to help you.

Maybe that person can help you with lust. But, even if they can't, they can show you how they are living a great life. A life of love, not lust. You can watch how the way they live allows them to be happy. How their great love of Christ gives them everything they need. How their commitment to doing God's will almost always gives them something to do.

These people can sometimes be found at Church, in Bible studies, in 12-step programs, or even in normal places. Sometimes a Priest or Pastor is willing to be that person. So, find that person, watch them, copy how they live. It might be one of the smartest things you ever did.

Tao Jones likes this.