1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Maladaptive daydreaming (poll)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by DerSchütze, Nov 3, 2019.

How often do you daydream?

1. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Once a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Once a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Multiple times a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Every day

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Multiple times a day

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Just learned about this "disorder", and I think it's an important thing I haven't seen mentioned here. Not that I want people to start thinking they have some sort of illness, but it's something to be aware of.
    Maladaptive daydreaming is (from wikipedia
    • Maladaptive daydreaming, also known as excessive daydreaming, is a disordered form of dissociative absorption associated with vivid and excessive fantasy activity that often involves elaborate and fanciful scenarios. It can result in distress, can replace human interaction and may interfere with normal functioning such as social life or work.People who suffer from maladaptive daydreaming can spend more than half their days in "vivid alternative universes".
    • Maladaptive daydreaming is typically associated with stereotypical movements, such as pacing or rocking, and the need for musical stimulation.[4] One of the lead researchers of maladaptive daydreaming and the person who coined the term is University of Haifa professor Eli Somer.Somer's definition of the condition is “extensive fantasy activity that replaces human interaction and/or interferes with academic, interpersonal, or vocational functioning.
    This sums it up better than I could, and it matches my experience. Does anyone else here think they may do this, and does anyone have any solutions?

2. A lot of metal illnesses are caused by demons. Not saying all are but you got to be careful

DerSchütze likes this.
  3. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Lol what a start to this thread XD

Gmork, DerSchütze and Coffee Candy like this.
  4. Laugh all you want man. This is their world and they love to torment humanity with such things

DerSchütze likes this.
  5. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Yep, I've had this problem ever since I was a kid. I think that day dreaming can be healthy in some cases. Like for instance, I'm sure that highly successful people envision themselves in that role, such as a musician or a professional athlete. But you also have to be working towards that goal. If you're just sitting around daydreaming about being a rockstar when you have no musical talent or dreaming about a woman that you're never gonna have, then that's a problem. You're living an imaginary life and avoiding reality. The best way to address this is meditation. I think a good 15 min of meditation to start every day can help a lot in keeping you grounded and out of your head. It worked for me, although I've sort of gotten away from it.

DerSchütze likes this.
  6. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

I'm not sure I would consider this an "illness", but a very bad habit, and a hard one to break. The daydreams are almost addictive from the dopamine spike they give me, it gets even worse with music, so I try to only listen when I'm lifting weights, and daydream about lifting heavier weights in front of a crowd cheering me on. Other than that the daydreams only ever detract from my day.
    I mean, that can be a good viewpoint if praying to god helps you focus on what your doing, and not the daydreams.

Hold it in likes this.
  7. yourhomieishere

yourhomieishere Fapstronaut

I only really find myself daydreaming on the bus or in my bed before nighttime.

DerSchütze likes this.
  8. MaxB

MaxB Fapstronaut

I definitely do this. Never really thought of it as a problem though. But after reading your description I might need to reevaluate.

DerSchütze likes this.
  9. I'll just say this: we have enough problem in the world and in our head that arguing if demons are real or not is irrelevant and missing the point. There's a reason the expression 'inner demons' exist. The distinction, if any, is one for debates of theology and philosophy. The 'real demon' is our dark side, be it we believe its an internal force or an external force made internal. If there was a demon telling you to drink and beat your kids and you went and did it would it matter if it was a real, bone fide demon or just a figment of your own mind? Not really.

DerSchütze likes this.
  10. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I do this a lot. It feels good.

DerSchütze likes this.
  11. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Everyone daydreams, atleast I think they do, but for me it's a real issue, if I have some free time I can get drawn in for an hour or two, pacing around my house and talking to imaginary people. Of course I know none of it is real, and I know it isn't doing me any good, I want to stop, I want to do something else, but it just feels too good. It's a bad feeling, i feel addicted, and it takes up so much more time than PMO, and I always come out of it feeling worse.
    You may not have an issue with it, I don't know, but when I first looked into this I knew I had a problem.
    Unfortunately it does feel good, I need to get a shock collar to break these habits, but I'd probably just get addicted to shocking myself.