1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Maladaptive Daydreaming

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Dexter Moran, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Hi Everyone,

have any of you ever come across the phrase "Maladaptive Daydreaming?" Here is one definition of this problem:

"Maladaptive daydreaming is a behavior where a person spends an excessive amount of time daydreaming, often becoming immersed in their imagination. This behavior is usually a coping mechanism in people who have mental health conditions like anxiety."

IMO, this is a valid explanation for PMO addiction. Many people, myself included, find it very hard to maintain long term real life relationships. Therefore the escape into fantasy sexual activity is very appealing. Even though most people realise that it is an unhealthy activity!

I will expand upon what I've written by quoting the Irish writer C.Lewis;

"For me the real evil of masturbation would be that it takes an appetite which, in lawful use, leads the individual out of himself to complete (and correct) his own personality in that of another (and finally in children and even grandchildren) and turns it back; sends the man back into the prison of himself, there to keep a harem of imaginary brides.

"And this harem, once admitted, works against his ever getting out and really uniting with a real woman.

"For the harem is always accessible, always subservient, calls for no sacrifices or adjustments, and can be endowed with erotic and psychological attractions which no woman can rival.

"Among those shadowy brides he is always adored, always the perfect lover; no demand is made on his unselfishness, no mortification ever imposed on his vanity.

"In the end, they become merely the medium through which he increasingly adores himself…After all, almost the main work of life is to come out of our selves, out of the little dark prison we are all born in. Masturbation is to be avoided as all things are to be avoided which retard this process. THE DANGER IS THAT OF COMING TO LOVE THE PRISON!"

Please note, that the capitalization, and exclamation mark, of the final sentence, were done by myself. Please let me know what you think of this post.

Good luck folks!

2. Xue Hua Piao

Xue Hua Piao Fapstronaut

I have issues maladaptive daydreaming often sexual/romantic in bed at night and the morning or just when I’m not occupied in the day. I have some which aren’t sexual either which I get a lot whilst listening to music.
    It’s taken me a while but I’ve just started to realise how much this is slowly fucking up my life. I waste so much time to it. I mean honestly it just looks sad.

i think we do it to compensate for things a lot. For example (this probably won’t apply to you) but a lot of mine involve some level of violence or power which makes sense when I’m extremely non confrontational and have serious issues asserting myself (most likely from low self esteem).

Unless you’ve made another post on it, I’ve seen stuff on maladaptive daydreaming on nofap before so I think it must be common amongst us which to be honest isn’t too surprising.

have you ever managed to quit doing it? For me it’s an addiction in itself

3. Xue Hua Piao

Xue Hua Piao Fapstronaut

I feel like one of the best things to do is try and understand the daydreams

4. Hi Xue,
    I have never been able to quit maladaptive daydreaming. I too have fantasies of being an expert at physical and verbal self defense. But like yourself I don't do confrontation very well. Instead I create scenarios, in my mind, during which I am strong and assertive. Truth be told I have chronic low self-esteem!
    My PMO addiction is merely an extension of maladaptive day dreaming. During these sessions I try to convince myself; that I am making love to the world's most beautiful women. When I finish, reality hits me full in the face. I feel ridiculous and soiled! Which only restarts the toxic cycle once more.

What then is the solution? I'm afraid I don't know! If I ever find out I will post it on this thread.

Take care comrade!

Xue Hua Piao likes this.
  5. Xue Hua Piao

Xue Hua Piao Fapstronaut

Yeah, it’s rough. I see myself in the things you’re saying as well. It feels like a way to get away from low self esteem as a temporary fix. For a while I did it without paying much mind but, as a self aware person, I stopped and realised that I had an ego despite having literally nothing going for me. So the irony is, id grown that inseparable from the day dreaming that the version of me I dreamt up impacted me enough to think that I genuinely resemble them. In the long run it just put me off making changes in my life.

in regards to PMO i think it enables us to keep abusing the addiction. Every night my relapses would be forgiven as I had an imaginary partner lying next to me. The sad thing as well is that, due to unusual sexual and romantic preferences, the sort of relationship I wanted at the time just wouldn’t happen so I just kept dreaming instead which stopped me from finding an actual partner.

Dexter Moran likes this.