1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by WuTangFinancial, Jul 18, 2017.

1. One of the most common experiences that almost every single person who practises meditation will experience is this frustrated feeling like it isn't working or like they're doing something wrong. Naturally we're told how meditation quietens the mind, so when we sit to meditate, and find ourselves caught up in constant thought, it leads to frustration.

However you do not meditate by quietening your mind. You meditate by placing your focus elsewhere, typically on your breath. The quiet mind is a side effect of practice, but not a measure of "how well" you're meditating. When you start meditating, particularly if you have quite the busy mind, you'll find that you constantly turn to thought, and have to make a continued persistent effort to keep bringing your attention to your breath. Your attention might only remain on your breath for a couple of seconds before the process starts over, thoughts appear, and you have to divert your attention back to your breathing yet again.

You may find yourself doing this over and over, and it does feel frustrating, and it does feel like "Maybe I'm doing something wrong", but as long as you are returning your attention to your breath, you are meditating correctly. Do not worry about whether your mind is loud, quiet, or somewhere in the middle. Just remember your goal, to be aware of your breath and continually return your attention there any time you find your attention wandering elsewhere. Do this, and you're meditating correctly!

The harder or more frustrating it feels, the more you have to benefit from meditation, since difficulty in keeping focused during meditation is usually the result of a very busy mind - one of the things meditation helps us resolve. :)

2. plant goodness

plant goodness Fapstronaut

I agree. Written how it is. As a Master I follow often says, meditation is necessary to put the reins on the monkey mind. Taming the monkey mind doesn't happen easily. But there are many methods to tame it.

Many people meditate for benefits. They want tot gain something.

I've begun to see that in order to truly benefit, one needs to let go of greed for benefits.

WuTangFinancial and JesusGreen like this.
  3. plant goodness

9 times out of 10 I relapse because of the monkey. Monkey needs a leash put on him! Morning and night that monkey is getting tamed. Some people's monkey's are wild.

[​IMG]

WuTangFinancial and JesusGreen like this.
  4. plant goodness

Practicing off and on for years would certainly be less fruitful than practicing daily for years.

Even with daily practice it is going to take a long time to change, the change is a gradual process. But surely I would be lost without daily practice.

WuTangFinancial likes this.
  5. plant goodness

I have a question for you WuTang. How did you learn to meditate?

6. plant goodness

Just curious. Many people people turn to books, videos, apps and the like. Was wondering if you go to a meditation center of some kind and learned in person?

I have a feeling finding a local community of some kind that offers education on how to practice can be supremely beneficial.

It's quite hard to face the ego without someone to guide you, if that is why one meditates. To reap more than just benefits.

Well either way meditation is a wonderful practice!

7. Just Rose

Just Rose Distinguished Fapstronaut

Thanks a lot! I didn't give up and today I did so much better, even in a less silent space. It feels great, reconforting, just the sort of feel I was looking for with MO. Thanks to you all, there's such nice people over here :3

JesusGreen and WuTangFinancial like this.
  8. WuTangFinancial

WuTangFinancial Fapstronaut

Well I read a number of books about Taoist and Buddhist philosophy to learn more about the mind and many of them describe, in detail, the approaches of different meditations and relaxation exercises. I also used Youtube to get a more tangible understanding. Along with that, I have been traveling for a while and during that time I was able to get hands on experience in the various places I went. Still learning but I have friends that are experienced and I have been gaining much from their knowledge and understanding. As I said before, I am not an expert but these ideas and practices have really sunk in and I only wish to further understand and share this with others.

At this time though, I believe I need guidance from a particular person (Master, Guru, Teacher, whatever name one may use) to really break through some of the barriers I struggle with.

9. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I totally agree but I do find I get much more enhanced benefits with sitting upright. Lately I have been in the dreaded flatline and feel blah, so I may lay down. Just taking it a day at a time for now. Keep up your posts and Thank You!

Eleanor likes this.
  10. WuTangFinancial

WuTangFinancial Fapstronaut

Yes, it would be more beneficial to keep your back straight without help because you will train your muscles. I tend to get cramps in my groin so I end up having to adjust usually. I imagine it has to do with my lack of full relaxation.

Sorry to hear that brother, those feelings are difficult to handle. I feel like I am experiencing a minor version of that today and it is stressful. For me, it helps if I keep reminding myself why I feel the way I do. To know that it is temporary and also something you can control seems to soften the blow. That may just be me though...you will make it through brother, let us know if you need something! Stay strong!

11. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Thanks for the kindness. I hear you on all that. Trying to stay very mindful, realizing it is just part of the process and the treasure is on the other side!

WuTangFinancial likes this.