1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Unworthy_cuber, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Unworthy_cuber

Unworthy_cuber Fapstronaut

i wanna know how meditation helps in recovery, cause i need a promising reason to start meditation, i know i want to, but my mind comforts itself by asking why i should meditate, and what are the benefits, can anybody help?
    Thank you

2. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Helps you to become more aware of your thoughts and emotions. You will start to see what leads to a relapse and how to prevent that.

3. I can help, but I think its important to point out that the way I understand meditation is inseparable from Buddhism.

Here's the short version.

Pain, suffering, stress et cetera have causes that can be eradicated completely. Those causes are completely inside your mind and directly connected to what you personally chose to think, say, and do. Those causes can be eradicated completely and permanently by seeing your actions clearly enough to drop the ones that aren't working.

If you are still with me, if you can take that much on faith, at least for a moment, then the only important remaining questions are about exactly how to change your actions. If you want me to go into the details or have other questions send me a PM.

4. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

@Unworthy_cuber
    Why don’t you try for yourself and share your benefits, if any, with us?

Perhaps you will be able to imagine a cube in front of your eyes, and eventually end up solving it in 13 moves?

5. billyballer

billyballer Fapstronaut

Meditation greatly helps mindfulness and in many ways helps to fully integrate yourself (tear down the internal walls of separation inside yourself). It gives you the space to allow for difficult emotions and feelings without attaching to them. It also gives you the space to connect more greatly to the joys of life that we are living right now.
    If you are interested I would recommend The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It's not about meditation directly but captures the essence of part of it, which is the only moment we truly have is this moment right now. So how can we live more fully in this moment.

I just started reading a book called Good Morning, I Love You, by Shauna Shapiro. She is a scientist/researcher and provides plenty of evidence for the benefits of meditation in terms of change. Also in terms of being able to reset our "happiness set point". She worked with inmates and war veterans with PTSD. There is lots of science to support it's benefits.

My advice as someone who is relatively new to meditation is don't over think it. Just commit to trying it for a month. download an app, like Calm app that has short guided meditations and just do it every day. Many days will feel like it's not helping or doing anything, but like all things it takes time.

A big part of this journey of life is learning about ourselves and becoming better friends to ourselves. For me meditation has been super helpful with that.

6. damnnbruh

damnnbruh New Fapstronaut

Im still with you so, what must I do? Im scared everytime I close my eyes in attempt to meditate and its so hard to shut my mind up for more than 2 seconds

7. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

There was a study that showed benefits after just meditating for four days. Four days.

8. Start with walking meditation. Breath meditation is the capstone on Buddhist practice, not the foundation. Clean up your speech so that you aren't saying anything that isn't true, ever. If you can't control you mouth you don't have any shot at controlling your mind. Find a nice park and go for a walk. Think thoughts of goodwill. Start by asking yourself what it actually means to be happy. Let that question roll around in your mind while you go for that walk. Don't rush to any answer in particular, just have the conversation with yourself. If at some point, you feel like sitting down in the grass beneath a tree or on a rock and letting yourself breath for a few minutes that's a good thing. You don't have to close your eyes, just sit comfortably and keep allowing your mind to roll around with that question and your breathing. When ever you've had enough come back to this board and let us know how it went.

9. Josphat

Josphat Fapstronaut

There are some nice meditations in the book Sensei of Shambala book One by Anastasia Novyck or Spiritual Practices and Meditations by the same author.
    Read the book, it explains all you want to know plus more you want to know but don't know you want to know.

10. a9cb

a9cb Fapstronaut

Worth giving apps like Calm or Headspace a go. They offer free trials, so if you feel like it's not for you then you can always cancel. I use Calm and it is great. They have a variety of meditations on there, plus morning/evening stretching exercises and talks about particular subjects (including addiction).

If you want, I think Calm offer a free 30 day trial code which I can provide as an existing user. Drop me a PM and I'll send one over if I have any spare.

11. To answer your question it will not help you recover from PMO addiction. In my experience it make you prone to relapses. Meditation is a some kind of self-hypnosis, it is the poor men's drug. Meditation "turns off" your posterior cingulate cortex brain part, and weakens its connections with other brain parts. I do not think it is a good idea.

12. billyballer

billyballer Fapstronaut

I can’t speak to the research on the PCC as it relates to meditation and addiction.
    But what I can say is that there is a lot of research on meditation as a form of brain integration.

Check out the work of Dr. Dan Siegel and his wheel of awareness practice (just google it). He is a highly respected researcher and his work in this area is not only fascinating and has shown great promise and impact in physical and mental health, but has helped me greatly.

13. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Is there any evidence the OP knows what the posterior cingulate cortex is? Since you are mentioning it what is the import and relevance of this detail? What specifically does the research behind this shows, using what kind of meditation, with what population? It's one thing to state your opinion but mentioning this given the information the OP stated doesn't follow. I don't imagine most people walking down the street knows the function of that brain structure, though in the context of this communication maybe to lend authority to the position without explanation. And why bold a general statement like "a some kind of self-hypnosis" which is non-specific? And then following it up with a reference to the brain with no explanation?

thinking_differently likes this.
  14. billyballer

billyballer Fapstronaut

15. Meditation is a way to see reality as it is, not as you would like it to be. By observing unpleasant sensations without reacting, we eradicate aversion. By observing pleasant sensations without reacting, we eradicate craving. By observing neutral sensations without reacting, we eradicate ignorance. The real kamma, the real cause of suffering is the reaction of the mind. So yes, with time and work, this practice will help in more ways than you can ever imagine. Liberation is in the mind. It can not be found in anything outside of you.

Unworthy_cuber and billyballer like this.
  16. Interesting point of view

17. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

18. Crownyourdreams

Crownyourdreams Fapstronaut

Meditation helps a lot for everything. I used to meditate when I had sleep problems and it really helped me. It helped me to go trough a lot of different problems during my life, but also with problems of myself. It is something you will never regret doing.

19. Unworthy_cuber

Unworthy_cuber Fapstronaut

Well I started meditation 2 days ago, cause I relapsed:(, and it's pretty good, I know it's a short amt of period but it's feels kinda good and sorry for the late reply cause I didn't check the forum for couple of days;)

thinking_differently likes this.
  20. Meditation helped me discovered what I call “Uncharted Territories” of myself. In other words, characteristics which may lead to power that I had NO idea I have. I meditate on what made me feel the way I feel and then my mantra was the word ‘why’.

-Hope this helps with a better understanding for you.