1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Men Have Missions

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by D_Y, Oct 14, 2015.

1. D_Y

D_Y Fapstronaut

Lately I've been thinking about what it means to be a man: at what point is one no longer a boy, but a man. At first I thought Independence:a man can live without the aid of others. Then it occurred to me that the writer who lives with his parents as he creates the next great American Novel and the cancer patient who relies on life support to breath are both still men even without their Independence. Next I thought strength: a man should be resilient and capable. Then it occurred to me that many of our greatest leaders, Gandhi, Steven Hawking, Franklin Roosevelt, and many others, were physically weak or crippled. Also, that emotionally, many of our greatest artists have been severely depressed. Huh? Not strength, I thought. Could it be Compassion? Boys have compassion. Honesty? Toddlers are honest. Being over 18? Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Then it hit me.

Men have missions.

A man has something that he creates or does that defines him and gives him purpose. All else is secondary.

A father can be a man easily by making his mission providing for his family and raising healthy children. A doctor's mission is saving lives. A artist's mission is the creation of art. It goes on.

The reason that certain people seem more masculine is because they appear to have a more defined purpose, or mission. The military man is a man because he has the clear mission to protect his country: he knows exactly what he needs to do.

The creation of a mission helps in every regard. No more will a male sit down on the couch and wonder what he could do; his mission is the ready answer. No more will a male sit around and wonder how he should act or feel insecure; he has his mission, whatever happens, the most important thing (the mission remains). For example, if a world class chess player looses a game of soccer with his friends, he is not bothered at all. Whatever happens, he is still a world class chess player and nothing can take that away from him. He has his mission. The indirection and doubt come from a lack of grounding. Having a mission solves this because it is something that clearly roots you in the earth as a man and not simply the owner of a dick and balls.

A man can confidently approach women because if he is rejected his mission provides him with the fulfillment that he needs. Women are attracted to a man with a mission because they know that he will not cling to her for meaning and that he can get things done.

Look to all great men. They have clear missions that define them. These missions allow them to do anything else in life with confidence because whatever happens, they have that mission that makes them them.

A mission is the solution to all of your problems. Find one and stick to it. Stick to it like the life boat in a storm, like the last piece of meat in a famine. If a mission comes to no longer suites your needs, discard it, it has lost its value. Still remember your masculinity comes from how much you embody your mission. So choose wisely.

2. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

I think you are hitting on important aspects for human life. Men (and women) need a mission in life, perhaps, to find true fulfillment - so that life is not just one cerebral existence, but it has some practical, active effect in the world, preferably making the world a better place. But defining a man by his mission is defining a person by his "doing" rather than his "being". It is often the trend in American culture to define people by their function and role in life - a certain American pragmatism even. But, I think the reflection might go beyond this, should you wish to take the meditation even deeper. On what level of being and existence does man find his true fulfillment and self-worth, even prior to doing? It delves onto a more existential level. An interesting reflection indeed. Thanks.

djonnyboy likes this.
  3. ds112358

ds112358 Fapstronaut

A bit too much masculinity and a bit too sexist for my liking, but you are essentially right.

"A goal without a plan is just a wish."

DS.

4. and can you imagine these men, that you speak of fapping? not a chance!!!!!

5. TheOneWhoNox

TheOneWhoNox Fapstronaut

Great post, I think it's important for everyone (but especially young men) to have clearly defined goals. This is a problem among my generation. Everyone has desires but few have a mission.

6. and few have a mission...do to fapping..to be redundant.