1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Mindfulness during daily life

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Neil Von Schafft, Mar 28, 2015.

1. How do you do it? I keep drifting into thoughts all the time and forgetting my purpose.

2. bob789

bob789 Fapstronaut

Hello. I do the if then planning. I recognize my triggers then I say if x happens I will y. This helps in keeping me from going into habitual mode.

3. KeenEye

KeenEye Fapstronaut

Being aware every now and again during the day is one of the best thing anyone can do, for anything. When you are aware of something, especially something negative (why else would we need use techniques if we are not in a negative state?), you become separate from it and you no longer unconsciously do what it tells you to do, thus you become free and decide from there what you'll do about the the particular aspect.

shmoe2003 likes this.
  4. shmoe2003

shmoe2003 Fapstronaut

when you say "you become separate from it and you no longer unconsciously do what it tells you to do" i really agree - this is new to me but when i realize that i am having a withdrawal or craving and realize this is what i was preparing for the power of it immediately softens - nofap is very helpful to me - thanks for sharing

KeenEye likes this.
  5. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

Neil, this is completely natural. In fact it is part of the practice. No one can sit down and be completely still-minded right off the bat. Even the most experienced practitioner goes through this.

When you realize that your mind has wandered, acknowledge that fact and then gently return your attention to your breath. Don't get upset, don't cram the thoughts back into the box; recognize that they are there, and then let them go. Remember, you are working on being present at all times. This includes recognizing when you have drifted.

6. Thanks for the advice, man. I'm working on this and noticing tiny bits of improvement. I'm meditating daily now. I'm starting to notice benefits from nofap already, but getting into mindfulness is an unexpected gift. I'm somebody who sometimes reads pages of a book without being able to remember a single word, and who keeps forgetting directions to the nearest places just because my mind is always wandering. This could really make a difference!

7. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

This is really helpful. It turns the craving into something positive. It is like I strengthening who I am as oppose to always looking for something and never being fully satisfied.

8. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

You're very welcome. I wish someone had told me about it years ago, when I was just starting to grapple with my various issues. Incidentally, I was reading "Mindfulness in Plain English" this morning (the best book I've found so far on the subject), and Gunaratna reminded me that practice is just that...practice. The time spent sitting (or walking or however you like to do it) is training your mind so you can be mindful in the rest of your life. Baseball players take batting practice so they perform well in the game. We practice mindfulness so we can be mindful in our lives.