1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Movies convey unrealistic ideas about dating

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MrDetermination, May 8, 2020.

1. MrDetermination

MrDetermination Fapstronaut

I've seen this video lately. It's about all the cliches of romance in Hollywood movies. What do you think about that? Is Hollywood responsible for problems people have in their dating life?

Fenris the Dread Wolf and cd013 like this.
  2. I don't know that I would say they're "responsible." The individual is responsible. They can choose not to watch those things, or watch them and know that they aren't real.

But yes, I do think fiction, especially romance novels or films, can give people really unrealistic expectations of relationships. I don't think it's necessarily wrong of the people writing the movies though. I mean, fantasy and sci fi are also unrealistic. They're not supposed to be taken as a real guide to how life is going to be. They are idealized versions of life. They're a fantasy. If people reading or watching them don't understand that, then I think that's kind of their own fault.

I'm a romance author myself, and while I do like to show the struggles of relationships and try to be as raw and real as possible in some of my books, I also like writing books that are just fun and fluffy and lighthearted, where everything works out. Because it's a fantasy. It's a bit of a psychological escape to read a book like that and just enjoy the fun of it, especially if you're having a rough time in real life and need a little distraction.

3. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

unfortunately very little works in real life like it does in the movies.

GottaBFree likes this.
  4. If you think one can portray real life in a 100 minute flick, then you need to think it over. We all are adults, so how about we act like one too and take responsibility for what works and what doesn't.

Just my two cents. o_O

5. Akiro S

Akiro S New Fapstronaut

I'd mostly agree with the opinion of our fellow fapstronauts here. At the end of the day, you're the one in control of your life. I admit though, that your life is affected by your upbringing, society, people you interact with(especially long term relationships), and many other things but it's still possible to change for the better. I'd personally want to believe that we're the writers of our own destiny, despite our past, all the conditions we might have, etc. The only relatively true thing from that video is that Hollywood/any other form of media/pop culture etc create trends, stereotypes, conveying some ideas into the public but it is us, who decide to consume or ignore.

6. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

It's a great video, really makes some great points. Actually Charisma on Command is a great channel, usually some food for thought in their videos even if I don't agree with it all.

I think an important point, and a mistake that I and many people I know have made, is that if a person isn't interested in you and has to be seduced/won round/persuaded, it doesn't mean that they are 'high status', it means that they aren't that interested in you and it will probably not be a very good relationship.

Another thing - I am married 3 years, and happy endings don't exist - you have to work on your relationship to keep making it work, otherwise it will fail.