1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Music sounds better now!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Peacekeeper, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

Hello, have you noticed that when you abstain, improve you life, get a clear mind and so on, music starts to sound better? I study music and listen to music almost all day so my hearing is very good, and I've realized when I get a period of anxiety or depression it's like music sounds like shit. Like it sounds more distorted, less clear and bass is no as present as before. At first I thought it was my earphones that they were not too good or they were broken, but now that my mental health is improving everything is sounding like it should! A clear and present sound.

Quiver and MANJ33T like this.
  2. CrumplyCrumps

CrumplyCrumps Fapstronaut

I would totally agree with this. When I once when on a 42 day streak, the difference was night and day. Music had so much more emotion to it, like it did when I was a kid. What I have found in my own experience, is that pmo has conditioned me to look for the biggest hit of dopamine. This carried over to music and I would constantly change the songs to find a song that would have a really good solo, melody, or drip in the case of electronic music. When on a long streak of abstenance I can let a whole playlist go and enjoy the entirety of the song, as well as the emotion of it, not just the release of chemicals in my brain. I feel that it will only get better as I continue to de condition my mind to this awful thought process.

3. Larophile

Larophile Fapstronaut

I totally relate to you both. Nothing is worse than enjoyment of music totally changing from one day to the next, due to addictive behaviors. I'm really wondering about how the great musicians managed this phenomenon in their lives?

4. Quiver

Quiver Distinguished Fapstronaut

I noticed that. I think it has something to do with your fixed dopamine system

5. Yes, it must be that. When you have a great taste in music, as you do @Quiver, it is sooo rewarding! :)

Quiver likes this.