1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My Journal

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. WalterDouglas

WalterDouglas Fapstronaut

Day 44

Massive assaults, flashbacks, all sorts of things during the last few days. So here I am amidst of all this, sitting on my sofa, weighing how much is at stake here. Then it hit me! What am I weighing it against? What has lust to offer, that I would put on the scales? I went over what is it that I used to find "pleasurable" in pmo. You see, I was even before, becoming aware of the fact that I am not enjoying it. With this in mind I was noticing, during "sessions", that I never smiled. Yes, never! I was, at one point, starting to consciously study whether I did or not. And there were only two occasions, were a grin would briefly appear, but it was the grin of psychopath whose mind is completely hijacked. The feeling is more of finding yourself, for whatever reason, in a middle of a bank robbery, and it's too late to back off, yet you certainly don't want to be there. Sort of a trap. And never was it happy. There was never joy.
    And I continued: I am a male in his prime, desire for intimacy and affection are genuine. Yes, it is, and it is unfortunate I have no outlet. But pmo is not an outlet and never was. You see, if you want a house, you can go to the bank, with your wonderful wife, and use the money you have earned to buy a new family home, or you can go the bank to rob it. Same trip, very different feeling. Plus, how will a house, bought with murder, be a home? And how can one enjoy it?
    You notice, I said murder? Yes, for adultery is in a way murder. And my theory is not far fetched. Proverbs makes the illustration, portraying lust as a harlot, who brings foolish men to the grave. But most importantly, it is the light that you reject in order to enter the darkness.
    See, our Lord is the Light.

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
    (John 8:12)

So, this darkness is in itself absence of life. And that is exactly how you feel.

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
    But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

(Matthew 6:22 & 23)

How can you enjoy anything in the middle of a murderous crime? "But", someone may say "the feeling is so strong!". True, if you smash your finger with a hammer, your feelings will be VERY strong, how does that change what I said? Can you enjoy this strong feeling? It is powerful, but brings you no happiness, no joy, no satisfaction. it's fake and empty, that's why it can not produce satisfaction of what is a genuine desire. That's why I said, yeah, it's unfortunate I am alone, but I can't substitute love for lust, because - A) it wont work, and B) it will bring me only pain and tangible death!
    My thoughts immediately brought me back in school. Am I remembering things, these days! I was only ONCE in love with a girl and that was then. I would love only to be in her company, I would make these little gestures to see her smile, I would feel myself at ease. I was more myself, when I was with her. I would mind to look good for her, and for all my insecurities, I felt like I did. I liked myself more, because of her! Mind you, we were not intimate at all, yet this level of romantic excitement I experienced no more.
    She was a normal girl, not the holywood supermodel type, but for me she was. She had this presence, kindness, inner beauty. Even if she was ugly, I wouldn't know it.
    When I think of it, there are two kids sitting through math class in my story. Yet, it's the real deal!
    You see, sex is great between husband and wife, who love each other. It has the potential to give life. While pmo is death and murder.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  2. WalterDouglas

The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
    . . .
    For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
    Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

(Isaiah 9)

3. A WIN! Sounds like you are reining in the body with your mind that is being renewed! Thanks for sharing this encouraging battle! And for sharing the Bible verses!

EastAnglian, CPilot, value and 3 others like this.
  4. WalterDouglas

Day 49
    Went back to the origin of sin and my study Bible said something very eye-opening. Adam and Eve already knew the good! That's so obvious, I don't understand how did I missed it! But they knew not the evil, so they were also not fully aware of the good. Therefor the knowledge of good and evil is in a way the discernment of the two, that goes through the knowledge of evil.
    It is written: lean not unto thine own understanding and also we walk by faith and not by sight.
    I wish I had someone to tell me that, when I was a kid. When I knew the good but knew not the evil. I needed someone to tell me: "do this, because this is the right thing to do" and "don't do this, because it is wrong".
    "But why?"
    "Because I say so!" - that's great parenting! That's a great answer. That should be enough. It must be elaborated further, at some point, that it's, most importantly, "because God says so!".
    What a bliss! To live in your ignorance of sin! As a child I was so blessed and I didn't know it. But if there was someone to tell me with authority and assertiveness. To set some non-negotiables that I would not question. That I would not seek to explore for myself.
    My parents are believers, but were somehow liberal and not very strict. I am not blaming them for anything! Is it realistic to think I could stay in my sterile bubble of childhood forever? Maybe not.

But the real point is faith, and trust, and firm belief, and depending on God with complete confidence, even when you don't see, understand or know. There can be many assaults against our bodies, souls or minds and that's when we should fall back to the non-negotiable truths and have faith!

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

(Proverbs 3:5 & 6)

Wilderness Wanderer likes this.
  5. "Because I say so" is only a good answer if you are trusted by whomever you are speaking to. "Because God says so" is only a good answer if the person you are telling trusts him completely. So, by themselves, I do not think these are great answers. They must also be predicated on "...and is completely trustworthy". :)

6. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I was blessed with faithful, loving, intelligent albeit strict parents. They were great but not perfect. They were very good to us but they were also human with certain flaws and without perfect foresight.

God the Father is like my own father but He is the perfect Dad where no human can be. I think it is helpful to consider the way that Christ viewed The Father. In my view and the view of many others, Christ saw the Father as wonderful Dad or Papa. Although God is the most powerful being in the universe, He is also the most loving. God is an authority figure who guides us solely out of concern for our safety, not to bolster His pride nor for His own glory. Christ spoke of the Father as a loving authority who knows all and sees all, thus someone to be obeyed not for His sake but for our own. When I view God in this way, I feel I am learning to love Him and to fully trust Him.

Life can be bewildering and overwhelming when we view it as orphans. When we see that the Father is always there watching out for us, guiding us, teaching us, life is no longer overwhelming. As we aim to grow this view of the Father as Christ views Him, we aim to grow our love and our trust in the Holy Trinity. Trusting God when times are tough and acquiescing to the knowledge that God has a plan for us, even though we frequently cannot see it, is to know peace and happiness.

WalterDouglas, Tao Jones and value like this.
  7. WalterDouglas

Day 52
    I was reading Saint Augustine and he said exactly what I tried to say, but could not.

But what was it that delighted me save to love and to be loved? Still I did
    not keep the moderate way of the love of mind to mind--the bright path of
    friendship. Instead, the mists of passion steamed up out of the puddly concupiscence
    of the flesh, and the hot imagination of puberty, and they so obscured and overcast
    my heart that I was unable to distinguish pure affection from unholy desire. Both
    boiled confusedly within me, and dragged my unstable youth down over the cliffs of
    unchaste desires and plunged me into a gulf of infamy.
    . . .
    If only there had been someone to regulate my disorder and turn to my
    profit the fleeting beauties of the things around me, and to fix a bound to their
    sweetness, so that the tides of my youth might have spent themselves upon the
    shore of marriage! Then they might have been tranquilized and satisfied with
    having children, as thy law prescribes, O Lord--O thou who dost form the offspring
    of our death and art able also with a tender hand to blunt the thorns which were
    excluded from thy paradise!
    . . .
    But, fool that I was, I foamed in my wickedness as the sea and, forsaking
    thee, followed the rushing of my own tide, and burst out of all thy bounds. But I did
    not escape thy scourges. For what mortal can do so? Thou wast always by me,
    mercifully angry and flavoring all my unlawful pleasures with bitter discontent, in
    order that I might seek pleasures free from discontent. But where could I find such
    pleasure save in thee, O Lord--save in thee, who dost teach us by sorrow, who
    woundest us to heal us, and dost kill us that we may not die apart from thee. Where
    was I, and how far was I exiled from the delights of thy house, in that sixteenth year
    of the age of my flesh, when the madness of lust held full sway in me--that madness
    which grants indulgence to human shamelessness, even though it is forbidden by
    thy laws--and I gave myself entirely to it? Meanwhile, my family took no care to
    save me from ruin by marriage, for their sole care was that I should learn how to
    make a powerful speech and become a persuasive orator.

[Saint Augustine, "Confessions"; Book 2, Ch. 1 & 2]

Back in the day the parents arranged the marriage, not rarely, even by request of the children themselves. And that's how it was for centuries. Also, life was tied from an early age with hard work, fulfilling God's commandment to cultivate the land and have dominion and stewardship over creation.
    Now we have education, careers, success . . . vanity! All is vanity!

value likes this.
  8. And here I thought all was Christ!

Colossians 1
    15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

WalterDouglas likes this.
  9. WalterDouglas

Yes!
    Too much overthinking leads nowhere. I often tell myself not to look back, lest I become a pillar of salt.
    We must look forward and focus on Christ, surrendering ourselves to Him completely and serving Him wholeheartedly and diligently.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Tao Jones likes this.
  10. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

St. Augustine was a true genius. Such an intellect with the ability to deduce so much wisdom that frequently eludes the rest of us. He was a non-believer and guilty of sins of lust for many years but his mother, St. Monica persevered, praying for Augustine's conversion for 15 years, ultimately God answered her request (more proof of the power of prayer).

During a particularly difficult period in my career and faith, I began listening Augustine's book, "Confessions" on tape each morning as I drove to work. It helped me greatly.

value, Tao Jones and WalterDouglas like this.
  11. WalterDouglas

St Augustine is indeed great. The culture in which he grew up and lived was strikingly similar to ours. Paganism, materialism, shamelessness. Very few things were taboo in the Roman world. He is speaking to us directly and sometimes, I feel like he is verbalising my own thoughts. And is it any wonder, that Christians from all nations and ages speak like one?

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
    (Galatians 2:20)

12. WalterDouglas

Day 53

Now after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,
    . . .
    Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.
    Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper withersoever thou goest.
    This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
    Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

(Joshua 1)

You see, we are called to a fight, a battle. There is a lot of military language and terminology in the Bible. This is why I wanted to look into it as a man with zero military experience and learn a thing or two. Here's what I got.
    You see, the job of the soldier is not to save his skin, but to complete the objectives and the orders of his commander. Then, of course, watch over his skin in addition. Not - "I had a great day today, lying face down in my foxhole, afraid to stick out my nose. No one fired at me!"; "Oh, great job soldier! We need more like you!"
    Our enemy is cunning and the battle is so much more like today's asymmetrical battlefield, than what I used to picture. It is not stationary, positional, fortified warfare, but highly mobile, swift, and full of unpredictable surprises. You either answer with vigorous determination or you bury your head in the sand and wait to be overcome.
    Look at the armor of God. The shield was as much defensive as an offensive piece of equipment, while the sword is exclusively offensive. Remember "the gates of hell shall not prevail"? When are the gates part of a warfare? When you storm them! When you attack them!
    Fighting is different than other activities. If you are building a house and you stop for some period of time, you can continue from where you've stopped. Well, if you've stopped in the middle of pouring concrete, there will be some setbacks, but still. Yet if you stop fighting, not only you will lose all progress on your objectives, but will suffer losses and casualties, and you'll be back to square one, but worse than you were before. I should add, you don't have to stop. It's enough to lose the initiative. To become slack, less watchful, less diligent, less vigilant, less zealous and more lukewarm
    . . .

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    EastAnglian, CPilot and Tao Jones like this.
  13. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

When I think of the wars which the Hebrews fought for the promised land, I am reminded to consider that David consulted the Lord before each battle. David advised us to consult the Lord before the battles began and not to wait until they were in the heat of it.

Sometimes God told the Hebrews to be courageous and go up against their enemies and sometimes they ignored this direction because of fear. One such occasion resulted in 40 years of wandering in the desert as God prepared the next generation to take the promised land. On other occasions, God advised restraint and told the Hebrews to spare their enemy. I take from these events that perhaps one of the most offensive sins to God, is failure to trust in Him.

In my life I can see that when I failed to pray and consult Our Lord, soon afterwards I succumbed to temptation. When my life is going well (before the battle) and I am happy, that is a reminder to thank God and to ask for His continuing grace and care. Waiting until the heat of battle puts me on that slippery slope.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  14. WalterDouglas

Day 55
    The words from a sermon I watched still ring in my ears. The pastor was telling about his time in South America: "I met 15 yo men there, when I came home I met 35 yo boys!"
    The whole sermon made me feel awkward and ashamed. It's so true looking at what I consider problems and struggles.
    Someone says: "I'm at the limits of my endurance". Oh, dear friend, your endurance is a vast country! Set on a journey and after days of travel the border will still not be at sight. We know nothing about the limits of our endurance.
    You know few times a year my job gets pretty intense - both physical and mental stress with sleep deprivation, heavy labor and much responsibility. I find something there, that is a bit liberating. Don't declare me crazy, just yet! Liberating, i say, because you come to the awareness of your fragility and weakness. And you accept it. This is, sort of an execution of your pride and ego. You're not so big, after all! You're not so tough, are you? You, almost, look pathetic in your own eyes. But what can you do, other than to just accept the facts and be humbled by the circumstances, embracing the reality of your weakness. May I say it's liberating?
    And though I might be under pressure every now and then, I still know nothing about suffering and pain. I know so little about struggling in life. Praise be to God!
    Little food for thought: Do I express my gratitude for the graces showered upon me? Do I think often about the things I am spared from? Am I living up to what is expected of me - to be responsible, reliable, disciplined man? Man! With the appropriate mentality of one.

15. I did not become an adult until I truly put foolish lusts away. How can anyone claim to be mature when he hides in darkness, pants around ankles, pleasuring himself to pixels on a screen? It is folly of the highest order!

Hard work and coming to the very end of my strength has been a great help to me, too. God have mercy on us all.

16. value

value Fapstronaut

Amen!

17. I've been enjoying your journal. I've just come to say that I really enjoyed this metaphor.

value and WalterDouglas like this.
  18. WalterDouglas

That's going to sound very silly.
    So, after a shower, I start shaving myself with one of those disposable plastic shavers with I don't know how many blades, that's supposed to be an innovation. I can't remember how many times I was so frustrated with those! So, I decide I'm done, I'm buying a razor. like a grandpa-type, folding straight blade, belt-sharpen, all that stuff. Then I think: "dude, you gonna kill yourself with this thing". And I pause for a moment. But, that's how it was always done, until recently. Am I the dumbest man on earth to think this an issue? I looked up some videos on the subject and got very sad. For some strangers were teaching me, what my dad should have had. Not this particular type, but in general. I had to figure out shaving on my own, because my dad was never around. There are so many things he didn't teach me.
    But, along side, there are these other things I need to re-learn. Or learn. Like fishing, building fire, setting up a tent - I have done all of these, perhaps once or twice. Reluctantly. And I received surprisingly little instruction on those. I'm such a city guy, but even among those, I think I'll stand out as the most incompetent.
    I am not pointing fingers. It's no one's fault, but mine - if I wanted to, I could have taught myself these. Or gone hunting, riding a horse, whatever. I wasted so much time and energy to stupid things, but not to teach myself basic stuff?!
    Thanks be to the Lord! I feel like waking up from a bad dream. And it's a beautiful morning! And I just don't know where to start with all the wonderful things I could do. I just wish I do them in service of Him. Through His grace and for His glory. Not another selfish pursuit.
    O, Lord God, Thy will be done! Teach us to discern.

19. I feel similar. My father was never really that close to me. I didn't learn so many things from him that I could have. In terms of shaving, I used a double edged safety razor. Shaving that way is pleasant and works much better than the other stuff. But it's also time consuming, so I haven't done it in years--I use an electric shaver, just to save the time, even though it irritates my skin.

WalterDouglas likes this.
  20. value

value Fapstronaut

Yea, that pain, anger, & frustration from not having received a legacy of spiritual & practical wisdom from our parents is something I know very well…

I’ve been on a long healing journey, and I have been able to forgive them from the heart, knowing that Jesus covered all wrongdoing and mismanagement of my heart under his blood (that being more than just a declaration but I went through a process of repentance & growth).

While I’m waiting at the table of reconciliation for them to join me, I’ve come to experience the Father as a God of generations: even though the land of Canaan was promised to Abraham, he only ever experienced it as a nomad, never fully living it. It was ‘his land’ but only centuries later did his descendants actually claim that inheritance and even then, seasons of peace were always short-lived, and then the exile, roman occupation, etc.

The same is with me: the work I do, whether it’s on my heart or in the natural, even though I might get a taste of it in this age, the real fruit of what I do will probably only become fully ripe in the generations after me.

Realistically, most of our work is so that they can stand on the shoulders of our revelation and manifest the truth of Jesus more clearly to the world before he returns.

The real joy in this life, I think, comes from experiencing Jesus in building that legacy now, with or without having received skills from our parents.

Many blessings,
    value

p.s.: Personally, I’ve been shaving for years with double safety razor and lather from soap & brush.

• Blades from Feather are the sharpest ones on the market (change blades every shave or every 2nd)
    • Soap brushes from animal hair are best (badger preferred, but boar also ok) (will be smelly the first week of use, after that, no smell)
    • Do 2 passes for regular day (1st pass with the grain, 2n 90° against grain) for special occasions, you can do a 3rd pass against the grain, but don’t do every day, otherwise not good for skin.
    • Argan oil or cold-pressed virgine olive-oil is good for aftershave (don’t use products with alcohol, use oils)
    :D