1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My posture is soooo bad. Anybody with amazing posture here?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Bluffy, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Bluffy

Bluffy Fapstronaut

I have literally have a 45 degree bend in my neck. If I stand up straight, it still won't go completely straight. I hunch over a lot. When I try to stand up straight, my abs and lower back and neck are in sooo much pain. Any tips?

2. AgentShadow

AgentShadow Fapstronaut

I couldn't really give you advice because as I type this. I am slouching down in my chair. XD But this definitely seems like something Google could answer. ;)

3. chucknorris

chucknorris Fapstronaut

Clinch your buttocks and roll your shoulders back when you walk. You will feel a little bit weird at first, but eventually your back will get stronger and your posture will improve.

4. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

5. nfprogress

nfprogress Fapstronaut

Deadlifts and squats did more for my posture as I was growing up than anything else.

6. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Go see a physiotherapist. They'll straighten you out. Literally! :p

Your back and neck are sore because they are weak and therefore overworked due to your hunched position. When you hunch (back arched forward, shoulders rolled forward, neck arched forward), specific muscle groups in your body will stretch. Muscles that are stretched for long periods of time with weaken. Opposing muscle groups to those that are stretched will become tight and uncomfortable (like your abs). Most people think that going for a massage is the solution to this problem, and that's half right. A massage can loosen up your tighter muscle groups, but it will not solve the problem that your overstrained muscles are weak.

Go to a gym and try doing some exercises. Monitored training is best, which is why I suggested seeing a physio about it. Focusing your training on strengthening your trapezius, latisimus, rhomboids and middle and lower back muscles will have the greatest impact on improving your posture. Maintaining good posture is mainly about strength, and only a little to do with vigilance in reality.

7. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

I recommend reading how to be a supple leopard by kelly starrett also watching videos on his channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnnB4zDBqZHhQ4uLTAX8eYA . I recommend buying a foam roller and doing mobility work every day on your torasic spine and genrally muscle groups which are tight. Just read the book wtch videos everything is explained there. having good posture requires alot of willpower and determination.

8. bomonti

bomonti Fapstronaut

Check out, Eric Goodman and foundation training. It solved my posture issues like in a year. Here is the starter pack:

9. Lunar Devil

Lunar Devil Fapstronaut

Donate your pillows to your neighbours and get a stool instead of a 'normal' chair. I have done both and its amazing!

10. William Kim

William Kim Fapstronaut

I do martial arts and before my posture was really bad, I was slouched over in a subconscious attempt to look smaller( I'm six foot to compare to my mates 5'5" average), my instructor saw this and just hit me every time I slouched in his lessons, that straightened me up real quick. I'm not saying to get someone to hit you but get someone to correct you whenever you slouch, soon you should build the schemas for good posture.

11. AF910116

AF910116 Fapstronaut

That neck thing sounds serious, so I'd have that checked out by a doctor of some sort asap.

Other than that, I'd advise sitting straight up in chairs and looking straight ahead while walking.