1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My vegetarian homies, food advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Thechosenone, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Recipe from last night:

Stuffed Acorn Squash + Wild Rice Medley
    Acorn Squash
    • 3 acorn squashes, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, divided
    • sea salt
    Wild Rice Medley
    • 1 cup rice, dry (I used half black wild rice and half long grain brown rice)
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 small red bell pepper, diced
    • 1 large shallot or small onion, diced
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
    • 2 large handfuls greens (I used a 5 oz. combo package of baby kale, baby chard and baby spinach)
    • 1 can cannellini beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
    • 1 tablespoon thyme
    • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
    • sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.In an oven proof sauce pan, fill half way with water and place on the bottom rack (this will give a little steam to your squash). Cut and seed your squash, place on baking sheet with cut side up. Season each squash with about 1/4 teaspoon thyme along with a few twists of the mineral salt grinder. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until tender…knife should easily pierce the flesh.
    Cook your rice according to package. Wild rice will take about the same time as the squash to cook, about 40-45 min. (Quinoa or quinoa/rice combo would be great too and add even more protein per serving.)
    Once the squash and rice are cooked, set aside to cool and begin with the vegetables.
    In large wok or saute pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and bell peppers, saute for about three minutes. Add mushrooms, beans, one tablespoon thyme, red pepper flakes, a few twists of salt and pepper, cook for another three minutes. Add leafy greens, stir frequently until they are wilted (you may also want to use a cover in between stirring to help soften the greens). Combine rice and sauteed vegetables in the larger of the two pots. Taste for seasoning adding additional salt and pepper as needed.
    Scoop mixture into each acorn squash half and serve with any additional seasonings. I like to top mine with some sriracha for that extra heat and flavor I love so much. So very good with this meal. Serves six, or three for the hearty eaters.
    Store leftovers in an air tight container in fridge for up to a week.

2. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

Super awesome ideas to start eating plant-based :D

Thechosenone likes this.
  3. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

That is utterly delicious man!

We should share recipes here!

Well then if this isn't the new official NoFap veggie thread!

HippyMinstrel and Thechosenone like this.
  4. Thechosenone

Thechosenone Fapstronaut

Wow that sounds heavenly! i'm inspired to start cooking! I love the organic sounding stuff, the mixing of all the types of fruits and vegetables to create a healthy meal that tastes good and nourishing with every bite! /salivates.

Calm likes this.
  5. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

:) Bros 2 Dead Prez songs I gotta share here :D

As I just stated in a music thread,

Ain't no man or woman ever reach the Jedi level in their NoFap progress by eating crappy, eat healthy yall! ;)

HippyMinstrel likes this.
  6. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

The only concern on a vegan diet should be cholesterol. That is a substance essential in hormone production. I don't know how you would get it. I'm not even sure if it's a myth, but the logic seems sound.

7. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

My Doc said my cholesterol levels are better than his :D Long time vegan.

Your body produces its own cholesterol.

That ain't no legitimate concern :p

:confused::)Your body doesn't need eggs for cholesterolo_O:eek::D

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100920135002AAgBuzR

8. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

9. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

10. Yes we should!

I was totally delicious! The sweetness of the squash mixes perfectly with the wildness of the wild rice.

11. Vitamin B12 is more the problem, but we can get that with vitamin supplements.

12. Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  13. A whole foods plant based diet is the way to go.

Your logic and viewpoints are lamentable, to be quite frank.

14. [​IMG]

I'm not a vegan activist nor do I hate meat eaters or try to push veggie info onto them.

But when you step into this thread with your pro meat eating criticisms I am not playing games here...gonna drop the logic like Spock up in this hizzy.

[​IMG]

15. Two oh so very delightful and superb vegan cooking channels, check 'em out even if nothing more than for fun :)

Mostly for fun but these are legit recipes haha:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VeganBlackMetalChef

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieGate

And a great lil cookbook video :)

And also if you might be into triathalon training Rich Roll is basically the cardio king of the plant based athletic world and has a great podcast and website if you may even remotely care,

[​IMG]

www.richroll.com

Did anyone read about Liam Hemsworth? Vegan.

[​IMG]
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-22291/hunger-games-star-liam-hemsworth-goes-vegan.html

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  16. Alright, I have all day. I have the day off and was meaning to get active in this thread here.

You certainly were advocating against a plant based diet subvertly so with the vitamin and nutrient comments (which you make seem logical and like you are knowledgeable on nutrition) and quite outright with the fake chicken statement.

It can be done much more than 'adequately'.

Shall we begin with the following:

'The vitamins/minerals of concern in a vegetarian diet would be B12, iron, zinc, and vitamin D (which is of concern in any diet since it is not very widespread in food). Vitamins are essential (meaning, once again, cannot be produced by the body). Other nutrients possibly of concern would be n-3 (omega-3) fatty acids since the end products in this pathway are found primarily in fish. Honestly, a lot of people plan vegetarian/vegan diets so poorly that the list of potentially deficiencies long-term can be quite long, but if planned properly they can be adequate. It's not simply a matter of eating no meat/fish/dairy. A diet of potato chips and soda is technically vegan. A vegan/vegetarian diet is no guarantee of healthfulness; I actually dislike most vegan products for the extensive processing they undergo to resemble their non-vegan counterparts.

Honestly, if you've got such a hankering for chicken that you need to buy a vegan chicken substitute, just eat the freakin' chicken. It's more than likely got better nutritive value than whatever fake meat.'

This is pseudologic twisted with biased opinion, your own personal experiences and viewpoints, not facts. Those vitamins and nutrients can be had easily, and in adundance, eating 100% plant-based. I'll post RDA charts later.

Allow me to present my argument later this afternoon.

A video in preparation of the plethora of nutrition information being presented later :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  17. Well turns out I had other stuff to do on my day off than whip together a fucking thesis on plant-based nutrition.

Firstly, as should be common knowledge, the only concern of going vegan should be B12 (granted if you are eating a healthy, whole foods based diet) yet I get well over 100% of the RDA for my size every single morning in my spirulina drink. I will delve more into B12 another day as not everyone can afford or will want to get spirulina, but it should not even be a concern, as it was discussed and referenced above in this thread already.

As for omega 3 that should also not be a concern. Walnuts, flax seed, and chia seed provide incredible amounts. I personally eat freshly ground flax seeds daily either in a bowl of morning steel cut oats or a shake. Tons of fatty acids coming into my body from more sources than those 3. Will also dedicate a post when I have some more time off in the future to omega fatty acids, 3-6-9 style baby, might even delve into 7 if we are feeling jubilant. Sea buckthorn berries and hemp seeds, oh my.

Another video until then.

Lol of course this thread had to turn into a nutrition rant, ah well we will get back to uber tasty recipes in the near future along with general food discussion.

See yall soon.

Thechosenone likes this.
  18. King of Thorns

King of Thorns Fapstronaut

19. Interesting article I just came across called The Future of Protein Will Not Be Animal Meat, http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/411802/our-meatless-morrow/

Awesome video featuring James Hamblin. Discussing plant-based meats, truly the future for a healthy & sustainable people and planet is plant-based.

Cannot embed the video it is only available on The Atlantic site, saw it on facebook.

'IF OUR BODIES COULD TALK
    The Future of Protein Will Not Be Animal Meat
    Oct 22, 2015 | 34-part series
    Video by The Atlantic

The average American eats 80.6 pounds of beef very year. Since farming cattle is water and land-intensive—and responsible for between 18 and 51 percent of greenhouse gas emissions—companies like Beyond Meat are racing to diversify protein sources that will feed the world's population for as long as possible. In this feature episode of If Our Bodies Could Talk, senior editor James Hamblin travels across California to learn about the science and psychology of diversifying people's protein-intake portfolio.
    Authors: Nicolas Pollock, James Hamblin, Jaclyn Skurie'

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  20. I am literally going to try this today, thx for posting it!