1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand Earthquake: Powerful Tremor Hits South Island

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by IGY, Nov 13, 2016.

1. IGY

IGY Guest

A powerful earthquake has struck New Zealand's South Island. The US Geological Survey said the magnitude-7.8 quake hit just after midnight (11:02 GMT on Sunday), some 95km (59 miles) from Christchurch.

A tsunami arrived in the north-eastern coast about two hours later. Residents were warned to head inland or for higher ground along the entire coast. "The first wave may not be the largest. Tsunami activity will continue for several hours," the ministry tweeted.

New Zealand lies on the notorious Ring of Fire, the line of frequent quakes and volcanic eruptions that circles virtually the entire Pacific rim. Christchurch is still recovering from the 2011 earthquake that killed 185 people and destroyed the city centre.

upload_2016-11-13_13-32-1.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37967178

I hope that any of our members that are directly/indirectly affected by this can post their perspective below. Meanwhile, my prayers and best wishes go out to all affected.

2. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

3. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

4. SyrusDrake

SyrusDrake Fapstronaut

I was fortunate enough to spent a few months in New Zealand in 2014 and also visited Christchurch. Seeing that wonderful city still struggling with the effects of an earthquake that happened three years ago left a lasting impression on me.

This time, when I read the tsunami warnings, I recognized many names of places. I hope it won't be as bad this time as it was in 2011.

Deadlihood likes this.
  5. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

6. SyrusDrake

SyrusDrake Fapstronaut

7. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut