1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

No shirts & Yoga pants

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Reverent, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

I think I derived a correlation and comparison of the two.

Both Men and Women have attitudes concerning men without shirts, and women in tight yoga pants. I think we can understand eachother by these comparisons.

Women wear these tight yoga pants in public for many reasons.
    • They are comfortable
    • They are cute
    • Make them look good
    • Great to work out in
    • Setting such that it makes sense
    • They are casual
    • They are trendy
    • It's what she had to wear
    Men see women dressed in them and react in a variety of ways.
    • They are enticed
    • They are repulsed
    • They judge
    • They fantasize
    • They are indifferent
    • They appreciate
    • They oogle or stare
    • Or they don't notice
    He may think "Hot damn!" or "Thats Discusting!"

It can be obnoxious when a man creeps on a women just for what she is wearing. Women aren't necessarily dressing to show off, yet men feel it opportune to look. Often times judging the female body by what's packed into those pants. What gives men that right? Can't a woman just wear what she wants without being criticized or objectified?

Now similarly the same attitudes and opinions are expressed when Men go without a shirts.

Most men don't remove thier shirt caring what others will think. Men go without shirts in public for many reasons.
    • They are hot, it makes them more comfortable
    • Makes them look good
    • Great to work out in
    • Want to show off
    • Setting such that it makes sense
    • It's what He had to wear
    Women see men topless and react in a variety of ways.
    • They are enticed
    • They are repulsed
    • They judge
    • They fantasize
    • They are indifferent
    • They appreciate
    • They oogle or stare
    • Or they don't notice
    She may think "put your damn shirt on!" Or "Ooh La La!"

Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't react one to another in inappropriate or critical ways?

Men & Women aren't so different.

2. I personally don't criticize or judge anyone for doing what makes them feel happy or good about themselves, anyone should do whatever they want to do. But I also think some people are ignorant if they ignore the responsibility that comes with wearing or not wearing certain clothes, because putting on or removing clothes is a conscious decision. If I want to wear a low-cut shirt because I feel comfortable in it, fine, but that doesn't mean I'm not responsible for having people's attention on my cleavage. If I have the free choice to put on a regular shirt, then I will consciously choose that over a low-cut shirt if I don't intend to draw attention to myself sexually. Still, none of this justifies criticism or judgement and implies anything about me as a person, except that I don't mind showing off my body to other people and potentially triggering other people that way. Whether attention is intended or not, it is usually achieved responsibly and consciously. And with that in mind, I don't think there is a reason to tell other people what they should and shouldn't do, because we as human beings are able to and responsible for dealing with our own triggered-ness by something that catches our attention, and I think that should apply to both men and women equally.

3. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

Yes it would be nice. Nice thoughts.

4. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

If you saw this guy who routinely does not wear a shirt on my street you wouldn't call it triggering I am guessing. I also passed by a guy running without a shirt the other Saturday morning in a neighborhood and like I just could not picture someone being triggered by the sight.

5. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

A sign at some mechanic shop I ride by has been reading as follows recently:

Three things don't lie

*forgot the first one, something about kids, maybe just young children*
    Drunk people
    Yoga pants

I would add too:

Men without a shirt on

6. How is shirtless triggering?

7. I'm confused by that myself. I think what they are trying to say is that for a woman it might be easier to be enticing without a shirt because the sight of breasts is always naturally triggering to men, regardless of physical fitness. Whereas a man's natural physical sex appeal might depend more on physical fitness with the upper body signaling strength and therefore being able to protect his woman.

8. I assume you didn't think before you asked that question.

9. I'm actually a big fan of yoga pants and no shirts. I live wearing no shirt on a regular basis for a multitude of reasons. And yoga pants look cute on girls. They wear it bc they want to and they look great, I don't see a problem.

10. Well said.

11. How about men wearing yoga pants in public?

Why and with what reaction?

12. The thing is it doesn't matter if you're a fan of them, people can get triggered by it regardless. It's like a woman who likes to wear bikinis and her being confused why people are triggered by it. Maybe not everyone would be triggered by it but many would be. Not saying you shouldn't dress like that, at the end of the day people need to manage their triggers.

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

I didn't expect this thread to be so much about triggers but what @Sarah W. says makes so much sense.

I wrote this thread because I had a discovery of empathy. Often us PAs have a hard time understanding or feeling what the opposite sex feels or thinks. The yoga pants / shirtless comparison, to me, puts us on common ground and in similar perspectives.

I've heard women say everything from "I should be able to where what I want, get over it" to "gurl cover up ain't you got no dignity!"

I totally get that. As a man I have all the same objections and justifications for not wearing a shirt.

And neither wearing yoga pants or going shirtless are socially unacceptable or reasons for shame.

I personally am in the camp of wear/ dont wear it in the right time and right place and there should be no objections.

Maybe 1 objection @IGY, men in yoga pants is too much for my sensitive mind.

14. For many people, certain styles of clothing is much more sexually provocative than the bare body.

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. Agreed, some things were not meant to be seen ;)

16. lucentio

lucentio Fapstronaut

When I read "No shirts and yoga pants" I didn't envision an either/or thing. ;-)

17. Well said. I agree.