1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by vibemaker, Dec 18, 2017.

1. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Hey,

I sometimes have trouble finding peace in my own appartement, because of different annoying stuff going on around me. Like construction works, drunk people outside and so on. These circumstances have negative effects on my reboot and well-being.
    A few months ago I heard the first time about Noise Cancelling Headphones and you can use them not only to listen to music, but also just if you want to spend time in calm.
    There are a few out there, from cheaper ones to very expensive ones. You guys got any experience with these? I read the Noise Cancelling from Bose is the best at the moment, but they are really expensive, but I maybe would invest the money if they really help me. How do they work with f.e. loud music from neighbors with a lot of bass?

Thank you.

justafriend likes this.
  2. There are many Bose fanboys out there (In my opinion they are overrated), here's what I'd suggest to you: if you're using In-Ears, try using foam caps (Comply Foam for example). They will cancel out pretty much everything, but you will notice that the sound changes, because the bass will be more dominant, it can't escape the foam.

If your neighbors turn the bass up, you can feel it, no noise-canceling will avoid that.

Noise-canceling can be passive, with good isolation. Or active, with a microphone that listens to your environment and tries to actively compensate by adding certain frequencies to your music while listening.

In general I'd say the best way to cancel surrounding noise is to use the right caps.

If would recommend the RHA750, for the price you can't beat them, they come with all sorts of caps, so you can try what suits you best.

I'm now using Shure SE215, but have to say the RHA's were better and cheaper, they really have incredible mids and highs, crystalclear. And the bass is awesome too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
    justafriend and vibemaker like this.
  3. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Thanks Phil for your replay.

I wonder how comfortable these in ears are. To be honest I never was a fan of in-ears. At least not the 'cheap' ones they sent with mobiles or ipods.

Also I read an article that these in-ears can cause hearing problems over time and especially tinnitus. Of course this is the case for all one when we hear to loud, but I heard in-ears are the most dangerous.

4. Well... all cheap headphones sound horrific, in-ears are no exception. I just feel that if you'd want to not hear your surroundings in-ears would be the way to go. If you don't want in-ears I think you best go with overear headphones with active noise-cancelling.

Comfort with InEars is very important and especially the fit of the caps can change sound drastically. If you've got the right fit, they sound just as good as the bigger ones, if not better (but that's just my opinion). Depending on what you're listening music on right now, I would recommend different products.

I'm using an iPod classic 6th gen with my Shure's, sound is more than decent and I'm not hearing anything around me, people need to tip on my shoulder to talk to me if I've got these in.

vibemaker likes this.
  5. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Outside I usually only listen to music when I'm on the train for a longer ride. Then I'm using my phone with Sennheiser HD25s.

Do the in-ears also work without music?

It might be also cool to have something wireless for home when watching TV for example. I think I might have to go to a store and try different ones.

6. If you hit up amazon, there should be tons of user reviews to regarding the quality of the bose headphones or possible cheaper alternatives. I was thinking about getting some myself. My neighbors are inconsiderate as fuck so I understand what your're dealing with.

SilentJay313 and vibemaker like this.
  7. Just go from on-ear headphones to over-ear headphones, there's a great difference in environmental sound man. If that won't be enough try the sound-cancelling ones.

vibemaker likes this.
  8. completely missed that part of your question in the first post.

I don't know about that, my roommates just use ear-plugs if the neighbors get noisy.

In-Ears are definitely cancelling sound better than onear headphones if they are off, but if you aren't listening to music I don't know if that would help you much, so then I'd say active noise cancelling or normal earplugs.

vibemaker likes this.
  9. vibemaker likes this.
  10. I've never had noise canceling headphones that actually did a good job of canceling out outside noise when I had them off. Yes, things were quieter, but nothing that actually gave me a sense of peace and quiet. With that said, I'm going to recommend an out of the box solution and since it sounds like you already have a good set of headphones for music, I think you should look into getting some ear protection ear muffs if you want something to cancel out noise. Like the ones you would use at a gun range and etc.

Like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FPWTJBI/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

vibemaker likes this.
  11. I have done an insane amount of research into noise isolating headphones. I am a student, and you can't study with people making inconsistent noise around you.

Let me start by saying you may want noise isolating headphones instead. Noise canceling is better, but ONLY for consistent noise (like an airplane engine). Any sudden noise (like a nearby hammer strike) won't be masked as well by the active circuitry.

The best answer I have for you are Etymotic headphones. From my research, those have the best combination of price, noise isolation, durability, and sound quality. I saved up for their flagship model, and aside from the discomfort for the first month (adjustment time, now they are extremly comfortable), I am extremely satisfied with the noise isolating capabilities.

Shures/Westones are OK, but have worse SQ and noise isolation (very mid centric/dull sound signature). Honestly, you'll have a hard time beating Etymotic for their isolation, because you are shoving a literal christmas tree to your eardrum.

To give you an idea....Etymotic flagship model is rated at 42dB isolation with proper insertion. Shure is rated at 37dB. Both of those are INSANELY high, considering average in ears with silicon inserts isolate 26 dB. Every 3dB is a doubling in isolation, so Shure isolates about 16 times as well as average headphones, and Etymotic isolates roughly 4x as well as Shures, or a little more than 40x as well as average headphones. (Rough dB calculations, but for all intents and purposes they are accurate enough).

Let's see what else...Comply foam tips will provide slightly less noise isolation than Shure Olives, comfortable for larger ears. That's pretty much it really.

Honestly, with music playing, Etymotic/Shures will block out any noise caused by construction/music. No device in your ear can block the physical shaking effect of bass though. And no device (currently) will allow you to experience absolute silence as if you were deaf (that would be awesome though, I tried finding such a product to no avail).

Hope this helped

vibemaker likes this.
  12. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Hey thank you a lot for your very detailed answer. I will definitley check this stuff out.

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

I had a ex who LIVED to tune out the world... And play his games.
    We had kids, including a autistic.
    He wanted to play his Wow game and I wanted to entertain guests.
    He was simply never present.
    Anyways he could never hear the world around him.
    I know he went through several pairs but he considered his games a art or whatever.
    I think his were Turtle Beach?
    Yeah. Pretty sure.
    Anyways, these work.
    Whatever your purpose.

20171222_175137.png

vibemaker and Deleted Account like this.
  14. Ooh, save $30.00! Such turtle -much savings- wow

vibemaker and Kenzi like this.
  15. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Lol, I didn't even see that!
    I just thought a picture might help

vibemaker and Deleted Account like this.
  16. Happy Man

Happy Man Fapstronaut

I like memory foam buds. It's cheap as well.

vibemaker likes this.