1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Non religious fapstronauts out there?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Gleemonex95, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Distinguished Fapstronaut

I guess it depends how you define 'religious'?

Middle English: from Old French, from Latin religiosus, from religio ‘reverence, obligation’

I have reverence for 'life' and the creative/energy/force that animates/creates/destroys everything which is WAY beyond human comprehension however much human arrogance will insist it can and does comprehend it (look up the Chinese concept of the Tao) and we are all completely at one with/part of this 'process' regardless of how disconnected/fragmented we have allowed ourselves to become and I for one feel no 'obligation' whatsoever to any 'organised' set of beliefs/dogmas.

And we are so disconnected/fragmented…

“Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us, even now in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to church, when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage... born into a prison that you cannot smell or taste or touch. A prison for your mind.” - The Matrix

“None are more hoplessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” - Goethe

So I guess I'm not 'religious' if by that we mean somebody who is tied/obliged to follow the idiosyncrasies of any particular 'religion'.

But am I 'spiritual'?

Absolutely! And physical! And cerebral (left AND right of course!)

"We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey."
    - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

"Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God."
    - Lenny Bruce

Aaaaargh!!! And there's that word 'God', probably joint first with 'love' in most used and abused words in the history of mankind?!?!

And why joint first? Could it be because they mean the same thing?!?!

“All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves...” - Bill HicksAnd to me 'love' (in it's ‘truest’ sense?) is simply the state of 'no vibration' which is the source of all things (that 'vibrate') Maybe?

But ultimately I guess it’s a mystery and I have to say I don’t care for labels because they tend limit possibilities and so I don’t identify with ‘religious’, ‘atheist’, ‘agnostic’ or anything and I love the opening lines of the first chapter of the classic Tao Te Ching...

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named is not the eternal name

The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
    The named is the mother of myriad things

Thus, constantly free of desire
    One observes its wonders
    Constantly filled with desire
    One observes its manifestations

These two emerge together but differ in name
    The unity is said to be the mystery
    Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

And on that note here’s some of my favourite ever lyrics…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7m5lBGf13c

“I believe in love and I live my life accordingly…”:eek:

I sincerely hope all that confused the 'shit' out of you (literally!!;)) because confusion/dis-illusionment might just be the first stage of enlightenment?

Maybe???

P.S. Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac? He lay awake in bed all night, wondering if there really was a dog!!:D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014