1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

NoSuffering: Ways to eliminate suffering in your life

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Aug 18, 2022.

1. By suffering i mean the Buddhist definition of it: frustration, desperation, unfulfillment

It's clear that PMO and just about anything sexually without love fuels our (sexual) frustration, keeping us unfulfilled all the time and just kind of irritated too (for more information go see my thread in the rebooting section)

But what about other things?

The same approach could be used to stop eating junk food. You can eat the best burger King meal ever, but you will still feel frustrated because you haven't tasted a wagyu burger yet. So there is no use feeding that frustration (and thus eating junk food) in the first place

Or caffeine. You feel tired because you drank caffeine. The energy boost from caffeine is the fuel for the caffeine crash afterwards. So it's pointless to keep consuming caffeine as it's making you feel tired, and not giving energy

But what about other things and other emotions, like anger and being irritated by others? Or sadness? Should we pursue stoicism? Is there anything else than stoicism?

What about other vices?

My goal is to just have a life feeling as little frustrated, stressed, anxious and irritated as possible

2. There’s an equation put by this Buddhist teacher:

S=PXR
    P= pain, emotional, mental or physical.
    R= resistance of the mind to what is experienced/perceived/made aware of.
    S= suffering.

In the practice of meditation, as one seeks to deepen his practice through longer sits, pain becomes inevitable. It is also impermanent. When you let go of all resistance to the pain, and merely give it distance through objective, detached observation, resistance is minimized, and thus becomes zero. Thus, suffering becomes zero.

I Hate PMO likes this.
  3. There is no need to act upon your negative emotions like anger or irritation, because this will definitely put you in a worse place mental wise

You can't afford to let those negative emotions rule over you, it's already exhausting enough to recognize them building up in your body

Servo_Operator likes this.
  4. Cool

How do you think this could be applied if you're confronted with annoying people? My grandma is annoying sometimes, asking me very irritating questions or behaving like a child.

5. Practice- I too have an annoying grandma lol. In The Mind Illuminated, there’s an appendix that discusses the concept of mindful review, where you look over the unskillful actions you performed over the day and think about the progression of emotions and thought processes leading to the unskillful action. Continually doing this makes you more likely to objectively observe your emotions earlier and earlier so you are less likely to perform that unskillful action.

6. So if you feel angry, for example, you wouldn’t think to yourself “I am getting angry” but rather something more objective like “anger is rising.” If you treat your body more like a complicated instrument with various parameters to be measured, it is easier to distance yourself from what you’re feeling and not identify with it.

I Hate PMO likes this.

7. [​IMG]

8. Misha_B

Misha_B New Fapstronaut

life without a gratuitous amount of suffering would be too easy

9. There’s pain, and then there’s suffering. There’s a difference.