1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsessive Compulsive Internet Usage

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by JustADude, Mar 5, 2020.

1. JustADude

JustADude Fapstronaut

My hope is that by writing about my Obsessive Compulsive Internet Usage, I can start healing and move onto greener pastures. I think many many (maybe even most) people use the internet in an obsessive compulsive manner similar to me.

"Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a common, chronic, and long-lasting disorder in which a person has uncontrollable, reoccurring thoughts (obsessions) and/or behaviors (compulsions) that he or she feels the urge to repeat over and over."
    https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml

For years, I use the internet multiple times throughout the day and each time, I repeat the same cycle. Just like some OCD people do with weird things like turning on/off light switches multiple times, or repeatedly tapping their fingers, or other strange OCD things.

My OCD internet cycle morphs a bit over time. But, here is my current cycle:

1. Grab my cellphone or laptop and open google chrome.
    2. Check forums.nofap.com for alerts, respond if I feel compelled to do so
    3. Google coronavirus news. Click any interesting links and read articles
    4. Check ebaumsworld for entertaining videos
    5. Check facebook for notifications, reply if I feel compelled to do so
    6. Read a couple pages of my facebook news feed
    7. Visit foxnews.com
    8. Visit www.yahoo.com (check the 5 top news stories and about 2 pages of news below the top 5). Click on any interesting articles
    9. Check youtube for interesting videos
    10. Repeat steps 2 through 9 about 3 times before closing my laptop or locking my cellphone.

I repeat that entire cycle throughout the day, probably 20 times. Lots of time is wasted throughout the day doing the same mindless twaddle. I am definitely being OCD about it. But, I am not very OCD about other things in my life... just my internet usage. My goal is to stop this stupid cycle and replace it with better things... reading books would be a great replacement.

Do you all have similar internet usage OCD issues? Anybody with a good story about how they walked away from this behavior? Other comments?

2. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

I have stopped opening laptop at my home. and another is stopped wathcing youtube for any reason.

and you'll see wonders in your life.. you'll have a lot of free time which I have started using in reading books.

JustADude likes this.