1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

"OK... but it won't make you feel better..."

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Green Monstah, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Green Monstah

Green Monstah Fapstronaut

What does this story have to do with NoFap? Nothing... and everything!

One Friday night in college, I was hanging out in my dorm. I was taking it easy, having a few drinks and watching a movie. A friend stopped by after a night of partying. He definitely was out drinking, but not really drunk. I offered him some food and we took a shot together. We were both just winding down before calling it a night.

We started talking and the conversation then turned to how he was getting so worked up about a girl. He really thought he had something going with this girl he liked. And just like that, out of nowhere, she got a bf. That night he was really depressed about it.

So we continued chatting for a little while. Then in the middle of the conversation, he asked "Hey man, you think I can get another short?"

I never drink when I'm upset. From experience, it has never made me feel any better. I said to him, "Sure bro, I can give you a shot, but it won't make you feel any better..."

That's all it took for the realization to hit him. He then said, "You know what? You're so right. That's what I needed to hear. What the hell am I doing? Of course it won't make me feel any better. I'm gonna call it a night and sleep it off. We'll catch up tomorrow friend! Thanks!" And just like that, he shook my hand then left for his room to get some sleep.

Here's what I am hoping you can takeaway from this.

1) My friend was seriously going to take another shot while being all depressed. All it took for him to not take another shot was for me to make that one comment about how it won't make him feel any better. I didn't have to ask twice or argue with him! Just goes to show how one little comment can go a long way! :) Let's find support as we're trying to quit PMO, whether it's here or a really trustworthy friend. PS be careful who you tell these to. I'm definitely not ready to reveal it to anyone I know, but I definitely got some great support here. In the same time, be there for each other! You can have a greater impact than you might think. As you can see, one comment can go a long way!

2) When tempted to PMO, listen to those voices that tell you "It won't make you feel any better". While I have relapsed, there were plenty of moments I could have done relapsed sooner. I did remind myself that I won't feel better after PMO-ing, and boy did my relapses confirm it...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017