1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

On being single in a world built for families

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by bigredswitch, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Hello! With this thread, I'd like to narrow down the focus a bit: the additional challenges, material or otherwise, that one faces living as a single adult in society, and ways to deal with these challenges.

I'll start with a set of governing questions for this thread. I intend these to be fundamental questions that apply to most people dealing with single life that they can answer with specific examples. If the questions we're asking and answering evolve into something else, that's OK; I've created this so we can learn the right questions to ask as well as the best answers to those questions.
    • If you are single: How does not having a steady partner make living and working as an independent adult more difficult for you than for someone like you who has a steady partner?
    • If you have always been single: How does not having the past experience of being with a partner make living and working as an independent adult more difficult for you than for someone like you who is single right now, but who has had one or more steady partners?
    • If you feel difficulty with yourself from being single or always having been single: Do you find that dealing with such difficulty impedes your career, your life as an independent adult, and your relations with other people?
    • If you've been through any of these and learned how to deal with them while remaining single: How have you dealt with these challenges at the time you've faced them, and what do you wish you'd known then that you know now?

2. For a start: I've always noticed that without a partner, the range of ways I can spend my free time and enjoy it is very limited. For example, there's a play in my area that I'd like to see, but where I live, plays are typically activities for date nights. What this means is if I were to go by myself, I'd be by myself surrounded by people on dates, and I'd not be able to enjoy the play. Similarly, at least three of my coworkers went on trips to the mountains this fall with their partners. I enjoy hiking in the mountains, but going on a long hike by myself would be somewhat dangerous, I wouldn't be sharing the experience with anyone, and I'd be paying the full cost of driving to the mountains by myself. I haven't gone to the mountains for the past few years since I there haven't been enough single people I knew who were interested in going.

And something I learned recently: headphones and a good set of music playlists for various situations are a helpful tool for living and working. Often while I was in a group doing something (such as with coworkers taking a lunch break), people would start talking about living with partners and having families, and I'd be disengaged from the conversation at best, and miserable, unfocused, and unproductive for the rest of the week at worst. Now, music in such situations not only allows me to remove myself from a difficult situation (but it's not always an appropriate response), but also it distracts me from negative thoughts and feelings so that I can readily return to work or whatever else I'm doing.

Abel100% likes this.
  3. PsyMon

PsyMon Guest

I can relate to feeling limited in how you can spend your free time. Often when I want to go to concerts I end up not being able to go because I would have to go alone and usually its too far to drive alone at night. In fact, I don't go out very much because most of my friends are either in a relationship (and would rather spend time together as a couple) or aren't really the types of people with whom I would go out by myself.

Being single is quite depressing for me at times because I see so many people around me all the time who are in a relationship and I just want to experience what they have.

As such, I used to deal with feelings of loneliness with PMO. Needless to say, that affected my life to an extent as I wasted a lot of time browsing for P and watching it. I feel like I wouldn't have the need to PMO if I was in a relationship.

4. Kyoheix

Kyoheix Fapstronaut

Not having started a family affects my professional life because my opinion is always down rated at the office for "I don't have children and don't know about responsibilities or having to work to take care of loved ones or a household".
    It is also extending the amount of time I have to share the house with my parents. I'm not able to get a house or anything because people with children or married couples have priority over single people. (Getting a place to live is different here than in the US for example. It takes over 20 years of savings to get an apartment, with no access to credits).
    It also raises all kind of questions about myself from my coworkers who find it weird that I have no GF or that I live with my parents just because they grew up in a different situation, in a different time or they inherited a house.
    It is worth noting that I'm the youngest at the office.

5. J_ATX

J_ATX Fapstronaut

To start off I want to mention that I am not single, I'm married. Hopefully that doesn't dismiss me from the conversation and I have no intention to preach, gloat, or appear to be some magical married sage. If anything, my interest in this thread and overall category is to share and maybe encourage because being married isn't a magical spell that wipes your mind of what it was like to be single.

I often think back on my single days, not because I'm unhappy with my marriage or lack any freedom to come and go, but because I know I didn't properly appreciate and live in the moment of my single days. I, like others here, and probably others elsewhere spent so much time looking out the metaphorical window, wondering where "she" was and if I'd ever find "her". I often battled, and sometimes still do battle insecurity. For me, P was and sometimes is an escape, and a poor substitute for companionship and human connection (Note: I work an odd job with odd hours and have a lot of lonely hours to myself).

I also sought out friendships and others just because, often bending to their likes and desires rather than my own, believing it was better to be with someone or a group doing something I didn't like rather than being alone... even if that meant sometimes being that odd numbered wheel.

Oddly enough, it wasn't until I started to step out on my own (and had pretty much taken a vow of celibacy on dating or thinking about dating) did I meet my wife. Not to say that's the 1-2 step process for finding a mate, but I think it was about being comfortable in my own skin and not waiting on the sidelines.

One of the moments I do recall well is going to a concert alone because none of my friends or roommates wanted to go. For an insecure, hopeless romantic introvert, it was rough, but I went anyway. Did I meet some girl and have the night of my life or get asked to tour the country with the band? No. Did I have moments where I looked around and wondered who was looking at me and thinking how pathetic I was to be at a concert all alone? Hell yes. Did I still have a good time and am I glad it did it? Definitely.

Honestly, I think most stages in life are rough, but in different ways. And I don't say that to minimize being single or feeling lonely, but a reminder that wherever any of us are at, it's okay to seek out that "light" at the end of the tunnel, but also be aware and appreciate the good that is around us now.

_MustNotFap_ likes this.