1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening up

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Acky31, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Acky31

Acky31 Fapstronaut

There have been a couple of instances recently where I have come very close to opening up to my dad about what's going on in our (my and Tans) life, with regards to my PA and how it's affected us.

These have been at extremely low points in my journey, and I felt that if I told him, it would be a weight off my shoulders, but when it came to the punch, I backed out.

Has anyone experience of telling someone else (that is close to them, not just a counsellor etc) and how did it go/did it help?

2. NF4L

NF4L Fapstronaut

It certainly did help for me. I recently told my parents about my addiction, and wrote about it in my journal. The reactions were different, but I took different approaches to it with each of them. I think there were actually two of them. One was acceptance, the other avoidance.
    I think the situation has to be right, and I did mine all over the phone, which wasn’t the ideal. I forced my hand to do it and talk to them so I didn’t have the luxury of setting a neutral space and laying it all out.

Acky31 likes this.
  3. Acky31

Acky31 Fapstronaut

I would have ordinarily told both together, I didn't realise how reassuring it was to have my mam to talk to about things, until she wasn't there to tell.

I think telling him will have to be a joint decision between me and my wife as she is still uncomfortable with the idea of telling someone else about our situation.