1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the NFL National Anthem Protests

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 25, 2017.

Should NFL Players have the right to "take a knee" if they choose?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. I totally agree with everything you've said here. Nothing to add, just agreement.

TheLoneDanger likes this.
  2. Well out of all the sports in the US, football would make the most sense for the anthem since football best imitates battle/war.

3. If you read my post carefully, you'd see that I didn't say a word about athletes sticking to sports. I was saying how I personally don't like how sports has become a political outlet. I watch sports so I can stop being bombarded with political issues.

CompulsiveCrab and SuperFan like this.
  4. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

I watch the NFL and will continue to watch it. Here's what Colin Kaepernick said about his decision to kneel during the national anthem:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Colin seems to think that it's the flag that he's protesting, not the national anthem. What does the flag represent? The United Sates of America. That flag in various places has born witness to terrible events both acute and chronic as well as many truly momentous historical events that have made the world a better place. The flag has always represented both good and evil - and often the good things have been brought about by protests.

I think it's a mistake to generalize with these NFL players - no doubt some are intelligent and have thought their actions through and some are not. Most weren't always rich, no doubt some have been personal witnesses to institutional racism. No doubt some recognize that the same flag they are protesting is the one that gives them the right to protest, and some don't.

I believe that it is appropriate for them to use their celebrity to protest. Kaepernick in particular took a risk in doing what he did - it may have contributed to the death of his career. It's up to the NFL to do something about it - but I think they're in a tough spot. I don't see it happening, when you have even Robert Kraft condemning Trump's comments. And I agree with those that don't like it and respond by turning off the NFL. There's always some other channel you can safely turn to and have your opinions reinforced rather than challenged.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    A leaf and Deleted Account like this.
  6. See, I agree with all of this as well. I can really see valid points on both sides, and idiotic points on both sides.

Spiff likes this.
  7. I agree. It seems odd to me that so many people seem totally fine with the idea of them being fired for this. To me that seems completely un-American.

Here--To--Heal likes this.
  8. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

It's not the same at all. People aren't talking about firing these players for having a belief. They're talking about firing them for the way in which they express that belief, which may still be troubling, but isn't the same thing.

Are bakers, florists, photographers, and t-shirt makers in this country being sued because they're Christians? Of course not. They're being sued because one of the ways they express their faith is by not serving same-sex wedding ceremonies.

9. You're not standing for the American Government (regardless of whether or not they're representing your values).

You're standing out of respect for those who gave their lives for freedom.

10. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

You must have missed what I said. If they get fired, it won't be for having beliefs about police conduct.

11. I don't get paid (at my job) to protest or state my political views. I get paid to do my job.

Similarly, the NFL players are being paid to entertain via the medium of athletics.

If they want to be entertainers while simultaneously stating political views or protesting, they should join talk radio.

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

Politics is for politicians. It's not meant to be in sport.

Not only that but kneeling for your own anthem is a disgrace

13. That's just not an equivalent thing to say at all. Nobody is asking you, at your job, to stand up for some political statement you don't agree with. At the NFL, they are expected to do that. It's not like they're going out of their way, bringing picket signs to the games and refusing to play. They're freaking kneeling instead of standing. I'm so sick and tired of people blowing this crap so far out of proportion. They aren't shirking any of their responsibilities as football players. They aren't being paid to stand for the anthem, they're being paid to play football, which they are still doing. This shouldn't even be a question in the first place. There's absolutely no reason for the anthem to even be played at football games anyway, as it has nothing to do with football.

14. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

Smh.....

NFL players are dumb sheep with group mentality. They have very few brain cells in the entire league based on recent events. Many of them have shown themselves to be beyond gutless.

As for the anthem, it's an American thing football. It's not a world wide sport. It's the main sport of the USA....if it has chosen to play an anthem at one game, every game, certain games.. then tough luck. They should respect it and get on with their job, like anyone else does during a job.

If you think making political statements is acceptable in any sport or job you are deluded!! They are sportsmen not politicians and it seems something you are finding very difficult to grasp!

Players are expected to respect their own anthem and the opposing teams anthem in other sports. If they want to be political then they can become politicians. They are NFL players with hardly anything going on upstairs just like celebrities. It's completely inappropriate and beyond laughable for sportsmen and celebrities to be making political statements. NFL is a joke. The way they've responded to it is laughable. Every player that kneels should be banned and if a team chooses to make their entire squad kneel (or not show up at all for the anthem) then they should be completely thrown out in my view.

I had to open a new tab and check your age before replying. Because after typing all this out I thought what's the point you're probably 15 anyway, but I was wrong.

15. I agree extremely disrespectful. Look at what people went through back in the day for this country. They had no lives because they had to work whether it be farming, building railways, ect and on top of the fought wars for there country to make it what it is today. Know you get these whinny spoiled brats that can't even be bothered to stand up for there national anthem. What an absolute joke nobody takes pride in there country anymore. I just hope this shit doesn't spread to Canada!

Mavricko likes this.
  16. You obviously haven't read my other posts, because I'm fairly certain I've addressed this several times. EVERYONE is making a political statement when the national anthem plays and they decide to stand. The men who are deciding to kneel just happen to be making a different statement, one that you disagree with and therefore are outraged about.

I addressed this too, but apparently you don't know how to read. They are human beings, not mindless goons created to run around on a field for your entertainment. They're allowed to have political opinions just as much as you are, since I'm assuming you aren't a freaking Senator. None of us here, presumably, are politicians, and yet we are all debating about politics. Huh, funny. It's almost as if you don't have to be a politician to have political opinions, and your job title doesn't define who you are in every area of your life.

You're not worth arguing with. Your points are incredibly rude, filling every other sentence with cheap shots at me or biased opinions about football players being dumb, none of which is relevant to this conversation.

17. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

18. Talking about it is one thing but doing it during a national anthem is another. There's a way to do it and not to do it. I personally liked the way the Dallas Cowboys did it. They whent to one knee before the national anthem but when the national anthem came on they stood up. That is a respectable way of doing it and that is the whole point.

Yes I don't like everything this country is doing and I would protest for a lot of it but I would never do it during the national anthem. The national anthem is a way to unite the people and respect everyone that has either worked their hands to the bone to make this country what it is or have died fighting for the flag. I don't mind the political statements but national anthems should always be left out.

19. and obviously with the amount of attention this story has been getting and the viewership ratings going down a lot of people think the same way.

20. It is absolutely equivalent. The only difference is we don't sing the national anthem every morning at work. If we did, and I chose to kneel, I'd be fired for unnecessarily disrespecting the veterans I work with and those who gave their lives for freedom.

How can you possibly think this way? You honestly believe the NFL football players are expected to protest? I'm trying to imagine you stating that argument in person to any football fan. I'm just blown away by the belligerence and ignorance behind this statement. Quite frankly, you're just wrong.

By "this crap" I'm assuming you're referring to the act of honoring soldiers who gave their lives for freedom (including your freedom to mouth off about them on forums like this)? Yea I can't imagine why anyone would be so concerned about that...

I don't necessarily disagree with you on this point. It's honestly simply a tradition of remembering that we live in a country where we can play/watch sports for entertainment. I believe it was first instituted so we never lost sight of how easy and good we have it in America. Which makes this whole protest somewhat ironic.