Other than prayer what can be done to get God's attention so that I can have a wish granted?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Tiredanddepressed, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Tiredanddepressed

Tiredanddepressed Fapstronaut

If their God is a supernatural entity that can grant their wish like an angel or demon then their 'god' does actually exist but not exactly how the person praying expects their 'god' to be like. It would be "obvious logic" if the god doesn't actually exist but given the number of people from non Christian religions who have had their wishes granted then it's possible their 'god' exists. I'm actually pretty suprised you didn't go with 'the demons granting the wishes' angle. Anyways, the fact that many non Christians pray to their supposedly non existent gods and get wishes granted doesn't necessarily affirm the so called 'obvious logic' of coincidence, since it very well could be the case that their 'god' exists but not in the way that the person expects, as a supernatural being that's not God but that's powerful enough to grant wishes - that is obvious logic, so yeah, it really doesn't seem to matter which God is prayed to.

2. Tiredanddepressed

I'm not referring to that, forget about my previous post to you, I've said too much.

dethly likes this.
  3. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Dude, you clearly have no idea what I'm saying and didn't understand my first post. I never said anything about Christianity being true or that it's impossible that any other God is real. That is what i believe, but that have absolutely nothing to do with what I said here, at all.

I simply said that it is impossible for the Christian God and, say, the Buddhist or Hindu gods, to all exist simultaneously, because they completely contradict each other. Regardless of what religion your believe in, that logic should not be hard to follow. A God that says "I am the only God" cannot exist if other gods also exist.

SuperFan and dethly like this.
  4. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I'm honestly done trying to explain this. You're making a ton of false assumptions about the point I'm trying to make, because you assume that since I'm a Christian, I'm trying to argue you into believing in Christianity. That's actually not at all what I was saying, but you don't seem to understand what I'm saying. If anyone else has a better way to explain it, have at it. The logic of believing any and all gods are real is not logical at all, because they all contradict each other. So unless they're all lying, they can't all exist. If a God says "I am the only god" and another God says "there are tons of gods" then one of them is wrong.... that's just logic. There's nothing religious about this statement. It's pure and simple logic.

need4realchg likes this.
  5. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

What you can do is read this verse over and over until it makes sense:

"When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." James 4:3
    If religion doesn't matter, then you could always ask Satan to grant your wish. Just be careful ... you'll likely find that the cost is far more than you were ready to pay.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    need4realchg likes this.
  6. Tiredanddepressed

I know that, I had no issue with this point. I wasn't arguing against that point.

I didn't misunderstand anything. I'm not arguing against any of that. I agree with what you've posted here. I think it's you who's misunderstood me. I was arguing against you saying that it matters which religion is true or if any of the Gods of any religions exist. You claim that it matters whether or not a religion is true or if the God of a religion exists when it comes to praying to that God because if they don't exist then nothing's gonna happen because they don't exist... that's what I was arguing against and took issue with since there are many personal stories of people who have prayed to the Gods of their specific religion and had wishes granted and prayers come true, to which you then proceeded to call coincidence since all those Gods can't exist, and I acknowledged that coincidence could be one explanation but so too could the possibility be that it's some other supernatural being that's not a God that is granting them their wishes so in a sense their 'god' does actually exist. Besides at the end of the day there's no way to tell the difference between an actual prayer being answered and a coincidence. The issue I had is with you saying that "nothing's gonna happen if you pray to a God that doesn't exist" when that doesn't seem to be the case.

need4realchg likes this.
  7. Tiredanddepressed

What I'm wishing for is pretty selfless though.

Noted.

8. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Okay. Well, that's still completely illogical, but whatever. Of course if you pray to Buddha and Jehovah hears you and decides to answer your prayer anyway, sure, that might happen. But praying to a God that doesn't exist is like talking to a brick wall and expecting it to talk back to you. That makes zero sense. It's completely impossible for something that doesn't exist to respond to you.

need4realchg likes this.
  9. Tiredanddepressed

Well tell that to the people from non Christian religions who have had prayers answered or wishes granted, it's not illogical to them and like I said before it's not easy telling the difference between a prayer being answered by an actual God and a coincidence. It's also possible that they're not actually talking to "a brick wall" but a supernatural entity that isn't God but has enough power to answer prayers, just saying.

need4realchg likes this.
  10. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I will gladly tell anyone that praying to something that doesn't exist is silly and illogical.

need4realchg likes this.
  11. Tiredanddepressed

Their prayers get answered somehow so they can't be blamed for doing it and like I've said before many times now it's possible that it's not nothing and that there's something there, maybe not their God but a fairly powerful supernatural entity.

need4realchg likes this.
  12. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Sure, I already conceded that another supernatural entity could answer a prayer even if it wasn't directed at them. Still doesn't make it any less silly to pray to something that doesn't exist.

Also, you're messing with some dangerous stuff here. Demons have power, as does Satan. But you don't want to give them power over you. That's incredibly dangerous.

You can find everything you are looking for, and so much more, in God. He may not give you exactly what you're asking for, but if you trust that the One who created you knows what's best for you, He will give you something even better. I can't Express his many times I've asked God for something I thought I needed, He said no, I was angry or confused or sad. And then I later discovered that what I really needed was what He gave me instead. Because He knew what was good for me more than I did. This happens all the time, and it's why when you get closer and closer to God, you stop praying for what you want, and start praying for Him to guide you and give you what you need and what He thinks is best. The arrogance of assuming you know what's good for you better than God does is stripped away, and you pray for His will to be done, because you know that is the key to lasting joy in this world.

I hope you find what you need.

need4realchg likes this.
  13. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

I think what he wanted was attention. Mission accomplished.

14. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

No, I don't think so. He sounds like he's in distress about some things and needs the joy and peace of Jesus. As we all do :)

SuperFan likes this.
  15. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

You have more grace than I do. :p

Castielle likes this.
  16. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Lol honestly some other users here are humbling me and reminding me to be more kind and less argumentative. It's not always my strong suit on the internet.

need4realchg, Hros and SuperFan like this.
  17. ⏳⏳⏳

⏳⏳⏳ Fapstronaut

A proven way of getting God's attention is sodomy so you could try that. But that works just on the Judeo-Christian-Islamic one.

Since you need others I recommend blinding a Cyclops or giving fire to the humans. I'm not an expert on Krshna but you can ask one of the many Indians on this site.

There's a few Swedes and Norwegians here too so you can ask them about Thor and Loki. But I can tell you that reaching out to Buddha will be difficult. The guy just doesn't give a damn.

need4realchg likes this.
  18. jarvyjarvison

jarvyjarvison Fapstronaut

Well, one can certainly earn God's favor through virtuous living -- just like Noah and Lot. Another thing you can do is ask over and over, day after day. (Read the Parable of the Unjust Judge and you'll understand). But I think God answers our prayers mostly as an act of grace (undeserved favor) more than anything we do on earth.

And BTW, if you're willing to ask any old diety to grant your prayer, then your heart is not in the right place.

19. Hold it in

Hold it in Fapstronaut

In my own life, I have found the favor of God comes around and gives you the desires of your heart when you are aligned with him. You can't live like hell and expect God to fill the room and listen to you however

He can't help but be around, and pour out a blessing that you cannot contain if you walk in the presence of the Lord

God also isn't some Genie though. Just remember that, ;)