1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

OVERCOMING DEPRESSION

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

It is ten times harder to fight off temptation if you can't get out of a depression. The first step towards success is to change your emotions. This is done by giving thanks. Firstly, think about what Jesus has done for you and thank Him. Don't rush through this. Remember, part of all of our problems are caused by the fact that we don't spend enough time with Jesus.
    Next we give thanks for things like homes, cars, jobs, and especially people. Note: If your wife, brother, sister, don't seem perfect - you are probably correct. But I am not perfect either.
    When I give thanks for my wife, brother, sister, and friends great qualities - I realize. I am lucky to have them.
    My dad was a broke preacher with a tiny church. But he "always" gave thanks for everything. When we got a flat tire he thanked God. One vacation we had 5 flats (I'm really not making this up - it was when radial tires were not yet perfected in about 1973). I watched him very closely on flat #5. He gave thanks yet again. Not only that, he proceeded to spread the gospel to the guy who fixed the tire - and he got saved.
    The Bible commands us, "In everything give thanks." My dad made this a daily, hourly habit. I never remember him being depressed - even for one day.
    So if you want to be happy like my dad was, take up a new challenge and do what he did. He focused on hells flames and treasures in heaven. He made his thoughts Biblical thoughts.
    Jesus saw his effort. And neither depression or addiction ever ruled his life.

Mara43 likes this.
  2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Yesterday I had a bad day. It did not take me long to realize that a big part of the problem was that I was not exactly doing things God's way. But, despite my struggles, I tried to be in God's will and do something to help others. Doing that did lift me out of depression a bit. Then later I started working on my “wrong road” issue in prayer. That helped me see that I had set up a bad day yet again by going my own way.

I believe that doing God's will is very important. But I still believe that other things are very important as well and that gets me and all of us in trouble yet again.

We often believe that things like pleasure in excess, money in excess, things in excess, drink in excess, and many other things in excess are very important. But, the more we study Solomon's writings that “All these things are vanity,” the easier it gets to start doing God's will which starts to lead to joy.

Instead, we can choose to start to know God's will. We can take important Bible verses and we can #1 read them, or #2 study them, or #3 meditate on them, or #4 memorize them. We can do the same with Nofap articles, and the more often we get to #3 and #4, the quicker we will be free forever.

Pray: “Father, please show me which verses I should study, meditate on, or memorize.”

Pray: “Father, please show me which Nofap articles I should study, meditate on, or memorize.”

My dad always had a pretty good idea of what God's will was, and he was almost never depressed because he was willing to try to do it. Learn how to know God's will, and live a great life like my dad did.

Mara43 likes this.
  3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

To overcome depression we need to identify what caused it. Once we do that we need to identify what scriptures we need to print out to overcome the depression, so we can read them daily. If anger or alcohol caused your depression, finding 30 verses to study daily for one month is a simple solution. But what if there are several factors, what if the problem is complex and the solution seems a million miles away?

In complicated situations, it is best to pray 5-10 minutes daily about what scripture search you need to do in Google. It may take a week, or even a month of prayer to figure out the scriptures that you need to “pound out” what is causing the depression.

Why does “it” need to be pounded out? When sin or things like that lead to depression, the problem is usually not the events that you are going through. The problem is that there is something in you, which came out because of certain events, and “it” needs to be pounded out or it will cause problems again.

We think wrong and that causes massive problems. When we study Bible verses on lust we finally start to think right about lust.

When we pray enough, the Holy Spirit will show us what verses we need to use to pound out what is causing the specific problem regarding depression. Then, when we study and pray over the verses, the problem will begin to be pounded out.

Psalm 25:9 ESV
    He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.”

Consider praying:

“Father, help me to be humble so I can find what is right. Show me Your way.”

Psalm 119:105 ESV Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
    Work daily on this and insist that this verse is true. Work daily until that depression is lifted, and until you are a shining light in a dark world.

Mara43 likes this.
  4. Thank you for sharing this
    I've had depression for most of my life... Not a single cause, I think, but maybe several overlapping factors...
    God bless!

timcia likes this.