1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Paradoxes

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by scote73, Feb 25, 2018.

1. scote73

scote73 Fapstronaut

A counter-intuitive way to finding peace and joy is to be comfortable with paradox.

For instance, the one floating around my head right now is, in order to make any sustainable change in your life, you first must love yourself and fully accept where you are right now in this very moment.

"But if I love myself, why would I want to change?"

The same way you'd want your addicted loved one to change.

Of course, it's not important to have to solve every paradox you come across. However, once you learn to accept that paradoxes exist, and become comfortable with them, is when answers just seem to come to you. Like magic.

I think paradoxes are fun to think about, though. Can anyone think of any others?

MRCRYPTIC likes this.
  2. MRCRYPTIC

MRCRYPTIC New Fapstronaut

True independence is dependence on a higher power. I used to think if you believed in anything thing else other than yourself you were weak. Turns out dependence on God (Good Orderly Direction) is true independence.

scote73 likes this.
  3. tweeby

tweeby Banned

https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-riddle-nobody-can-solve.153603/

4. I've been reading some of Carl Jung's writings recently, he had something to say on paradoxes..

and (T.S. Eliot)
    I agree that putting our mind in that place where a logical answer is not forthcoming, often we can get a higher insight or perspective.

MRCRYPTIC, scote73 and tweeby like this.
  5. tweeby

tweeby Banned

^^Excellent.

6. UDK

UDK Fapstronaut

If you wanna achieve better things in life, you just gotta strive for it! I aint gon settle with something ordinary, Im going to work to get better and do extraordinary things.I love myself for having the potential to do so and for the things I've achieved so far. Small things or bigger doesn't matter.
    You just gotta motivate yourself and love yourself while progressing (changing). That is my solution to this kind of paradoxe

scote73 likes this.
  7. scote73

scote73 Fapstronaut

That is super interesting, I love it!

I've heard of Carl Jung, and these quotes have me interested in reading him as well. Would you recommend his works?

That was inspiring to read, I've no doubt you will manifest great things in life, keep moving forward my friend!

UDK likes this.
  8. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Any direction you take to get away from something is the continuation of that thing.

Trying to reach abundance in order to get away from scarcity is the continuation of scarcity. Trying to improve yourself in order to get away from not being enough is the continuation of you not being enough. Trying to be happy in order to get away from unhappiness is the continuation of you feeling unhappy.

Abundance / happiness is the starting point. From there you do what you're inspired to do. Rather than reinforcing scarcity / unhappiness by trying to get away from it. You're already there / enough / complete. Society made you forget that.

Happiness can be defined as reality meeting your expectations. It's in consumerism / marketing's best interest to raise your expectations higher so that reality can never meet those expectations without whatever product they're selling.

Like with nofap relapsing... people relapse because they focus on it and reinforce it by trying to get away from it. When they should really be focusing on a life that they actually want to live.

9. I've only recently started reading him. So far I'm finding it interesting, especially the anima/animus and possession. Worth to have a look if you're interested in psychology and self development.