1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriotism

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 21, 2018.

1. What do you think about the idea of "Nationalism" or "Patriotism"?

In my view, I think patriotism has been repeatedly used as a tool to incite emotions in the public and escaping from addressing issues intellectually.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I agree with it.

Lt.dan likes this.
  2. Lt.dan

Lt.dan Fapstronaut

3. 5speed

5speed Fapstronaut

How so? Despite the utopia dream that we are equal all over the World the truth is we are not. There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from and appreciate the sacrifice of people who died so you can have the freedom to post any nonsense that comes to your mind. There is nothing wrong with culturing your old ways of life and limiting access to people who want to bring their own, radically different change. Alternatively anarchy and pacifism are objectives that do not have actual value in our society.

4. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

My political beliefs are what some would call "far right"(the whole reason I am here). Nationalism is nothing more than tribalism, it's neither positive or negative it's simply elemental. Like fire, it can warm us and cook our food or burn us all alive. It is a natural state of living and surviving. Tribalism gives us our unique cultures, for people in the US this might seem very alien. The US has no culture and tribe other than corporate consumerism. You're taught to abandon real culture and tribe because when you have a real identity you're no longer interested in Nike, Coca cola, and MTV. Your traditional food is McDonald's, your traditional music is Miley Cyrus, and tribal dances are twerking. The native Americans are extreme nationalists(tribal) and it is beautiful and their culture should be celebrated. It doesn't matter how much you abandon tribalism and talk about how you're a beautiful citizen of the world, the group who decides to act tribal and band together under one ideology and goal will eventually conquer you and you will be a slave to that group. Whether it is a tribal group united under a religion(Islam, etc) or a group united under one nation(the Chinese, etc). Continuing to ignore this is like seeing a man with his fist cocked back and then you close your eyes and pretend that if you can't see it then he won't punch you in the face. It's a very naive way of viewing the world.

5. "Before the camps, [Soviet Gulags] I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn't be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps, one learns: if you belong to a successful nation, you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity, too bad for you." - Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Two Hundred Years Together

6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Being proud of your country and wanting it to be successful are ideas I wholeheartedly support.

I’m right-wing, which is quite uncommon where I live, and depending on who you ask, I am a “xenophobe” due to me wanting to put my compatriots before foreigners (no matter what race or colour in either group), and me believing that anyone who wants to be here should conform into the ideologies we love and cherish (although I don’t have any hate for foreigners). I want my nation to have order; to obey laws meant to protect us and our ways of life, and I’ll take any silly name that anyone throws at me if I can at least aid in that.

When you know where you came from, you can better relate to the struggles of your ancestors, and you can also relate more to your fellow citizens. This is why whenever a disaster occurs, people say “But we’re [Nationality]; we can get through anything.”

5speed, Gotham Outlaw and guy_376 like this.
  7. Paperweight

Paperweight Fapstronaut

Who is "we" and what are your cherished ideologies?

8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

"We" are patriots and those who don't support globalism and the "multiculturalism" pushed on us, while our beloved ideologies are free enterprise, our other freedoms and the ability to practice our customs.

5speed and Gotham Outlaw like this.
  9. 5speed

5speed Fapstronaut

How will you accomplish that? Civilization has moved forward
    DING DING DING! No multiculti BS in America, if anyone ever wants to see how this works go to Paris, anywhere in bigger cities in Sweden, Belgium, parts of London or perhaps Germany soon and see that you will be treated like an outcast, targeted for beating or death strictly on religious grounds. If you are coming over to USA we don't want to you to influence our life style with your religious beliefs or other radical perspectives on how we should be dressed, act or behave, otherwise pound sand wherever you are already pounding sand and don't come to USA, we have enough people here already. GO USA! And do not PMO wherever you are :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    MLMVSS and ClaudeDuval like this.
  10. 5speed

5speed Fapstronaut

Nonsense, only nationalism will preserve civilization as we know it, if you remove those boundaries with the systematic sysification of a white males you will be hanging on the light post for not loving Allah enough. Like it or not but the whites have driven civilization forward, this isn't about being racist but stating facts.

ClaudeDuval likes this.
  11. This is exactly the view point our leaders will continue to spout off to shove gloablism down our throats going forward. I believe the various nations and leaders need to cooperate on issues like pollution and resource management but you can do this effectively without dissolving national soverienty like the globalist want to. Globalism benefits noone but these shady leaders of the most developed nations and their corporate overlords.

Anyone in the US can already look at how free trade agreements like NAFTA literally single handedly fucked GDP and the american worker and its effects are still felt. Our shady US congress tried to pass the Trans Pacific Partnership right under our noses and almost succeeded.

I live in a liberal state and being anti Illegal immigration is terrible but everybody in their right mind know its all about disempowering the american worker and our leaders bending over for corporate america.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2018
    MLMVSS and 5speed like this.
  12. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Don't conflate the two. These aren't the same thing.

From the great George Orwell:

"Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. Both words are normally used in so vague a way that any definition is liable to be challenged, but one must draw a distinction between them, since two different and even opposing ideas are involved. By ‘patriotism’ I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality."
    Form whatever opinions or conclusions you'd like about either term, but don't make the mistake of pretending they're the same thing.

Deleted Account likes this.