1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Poetry as a "tool" for rewiring your thinking?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by WHMvsPMO, Feb 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

I thought of this after watching a short clip by David Whyte on imagination, in which he says there's a part of us that knows exactly what to say and the right person to say it to and so on, that was on imagination that isn't fantasy but actually some way of tying together and making sense of everything you see in the world. The title of another longer video I haven't watched yet is "language against which you have no defenses". Certainly the PMO habit has defenses against efforts to undermine it, we often hear people becoming discouraged after a relapse and the kind of rationalization is rather different than when they are on a streak.

As an aside humor is another channel where it catches you off guard, I suppose whereas poetry is the channel of beauty (seeing it in life, nature etc.) humor is the channel of joy and laughter.

Obviously it doesn't work in a linear cause and effect way, but with both there's really a way where things "click" and I'm thinking a regular diet of that kind of content is a good idea.

The emperor and kropo82 like this.
  2. The emperor

The emperor Fapstronaut

Poetry is the language of the heavens.

I mean, have you seen the Sacred Books?

For example, the Bible was written in the elevated and pure language of poetry.

Personally, I've had tons of benefits from writing/reading poetry.

It cleanses my mind!

I just made a Poetry Book.

I couldn't be happier than that!!!

3. Poetry comes from the heart and uses heart, not mind logic.
    Every form of art is always beneficial to our heart and soulside.
    It just helps us to wake up our different side of personality.

Strauss music is itself poetry for me, uplifts my spirit so much.

4. I like poetry, too. I think it would be nice if this forum had a section devoted specifically to it. Not finding one, I added my contribution here in the self-improvement section.

https://forum.nofap.com/index.php?threads/purity.295985/

Poetry does communicate to a part of the mind that nothing else does, in my opinion.