1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Powerlifting Fapstronauts

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by BeardedBerserker, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Holy hell, those are some really, really solid numbers for that BW. Hoping you get healthy!! Those sound like some nasty injuries.

I've been curious about strongman, to be honest. Mainly because I think it would switch up my training a little bit more, and maybe just get me to try some things I haven't before. How did you get started with it?

2. PALM

PALM Fapstronaut

thanks my man!

My coach always competed both in PL and Strongman and so I just tried it for fun...now I co own a PL Strongman gym:)

I suggest you try to find a Gym in your are that has Strongman equipment and then just try to compete as fast as possible.. I think that way you get to know people/gyms and become part of the community...

and just for know if you want to switch up your training to more in the direction of Strongman I suggest you do alot of Overhead work, alot of hard Cardio (Strongman need to have really good stamina and speed) and do more of dynamic lifts aka Olympic lifts

Cheers

BeardedBerserker likes this.
  3. Definitely good tips, man! I appreciate that. Although I'm not very excited to potentially do some cardio :emoji_laughing: I'm sure it really will help me, but man I don't wanna do it. Haha

4. Chazz1111

Chazz1111 Fapstronaut

Heyy I’ve recently taken the gym seriously and over the past month seen gains I would’ve expected to take over a year for because of my new diet!

I’m doing an upper lower body split and was just wondering if u guys had any tips on routine or what the difference between bodybuilding and powerlifting is?

Also if u have any good calorie dense meal plans pleeeassseee hmu

5. PALM

PALM Fapstronaut

Powerlifting is strength based..so your main goal is to increase your strength..with bodybuilding your main goal is to increase your muscle mass..
    as for the diet focus on calorie dense foods;)

On both topics there is a lot of good info on youtube:)

just watch and read alot...

I recommend T-nation as a starting point...there are thousandsof articles

6. Hell yeah man!! That's awesome to hear! It sounds like you're starting out strong, which is awesome. Keep it up!!

So bodybuilding vs. powerlifting is always an interesting topic. Bodybuilding you're really focused on just maximizing the size of the muscle while keeping your body fat as low as possible. There are tons of ways you can do this, and everyone thinks their way is the best, but it really depends on what works for you. The biggest factor there is diet, since cutting away the body fat is really what brings out the definition in the muscles (which is why you see bodybuilders doing anything they can to shave off the last bit of fat before a competition).

Powerlifting, on the other hand, is focused on strength and lifting the most weight you can. Competition powerlifting is usually the "big 3" lifts: squat, bench, and deadlift. There are rules and weight classes and they vary based on the powerlifting federation, but the basic idea is the same: lift the most weight in each of those 3 lifts.

As for someone just starting out, I'd highly recommend focusing on building strength in those 3 main lifts (I guess 4 if you include overhead press). Make sure you're doing those lifts with the proper technique, and then focusing on adding weight to those. I'd recommend following something like GSLP (Greyskull Linear Progression). It's a good way to get introduced to the main lifts, get a bit of accessory work to work on the "beach muscles" (bis and tris), and also progress steadily while you're still in the period of "noob gains".

If you're trying to eat more, the best way is to eat more often throughout the day (or at least that's what I've found). So eat 5-6 meals a day, and include food like peanut butter, oatmeal, eggs, milk, etc. to up the calories. Also, eat as much protein as you can. That will help fuel the muscle growth. Chicken, red meat, eggs, milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, those sorts of things can be used to hit the protein goals. You can also use protein powder if you need a bit more.

Lastly, don't get discouraged when the noob gains start to wear off and you don't see yourself progressing as quickly as you did when you started. It happens to everyone. That just means you're starting to become a more seasoned lifter. Keep pushing forward, and then when you hit a plateau, that's when you think about changing programs or other things in your workout.

Welcome to the club, man! Props to you for starting in on the gym journey. Keep on trucking. I'll echo PALM's advice and say read some T-Nation articles. Also check out Jeff Nippard on YouTube. It's a bit nerdy in that it focuses purely on science and peer-reviewed articles, but his information is good and not clouded by some of the "bro science" that's easy to find on the internet.

PALM likes this.
  7. Chazz1111

Chazz1111 Fapstronaut

Thanks man!! Really appreciate your reply deffo learnt loads :))

with being in lockdown and all I’m doing upper push then pull and then lower push pull to keep getting the gains and it seems to be working ok

I think I’d deffo be more into the bodybuilding aspect of things but I incorporate bench press deadlift and squats into my workouts already and am doing that progressive overload thing so am hopefully gonna see results with that when I head back to the gym after rona :)

8. Strength is the foundation to basically any type of training you want to do. For example: if you're an athlete who needs explosive power (football/rugby player), you develop the strength in those muscles you need for explosion. If you can squat a lot of weight, you can keep your legs moving and run through a tackle.

Bodybuilding is the same way. The best way to start is to get a base of strong muscle, then use your diet and other training to cut away the fat and make the muscles appear larger. Plus, the big 3 compound lifts work multiple groups of muscles at the same time, so you maximize the effectiveness of your training.

Cheers brother, and keep it up!!

Chazz1111 likes this.
  9. Been working on my squat form lately. I have a tendency to fold forward on heavier weights, and while I can still stand it up, anything above 350 starts to turn into a squat-morning, if you will. Dropping the weight, and focusing on keeping a tight upper-back, chest proud, and keeping the weight right over the mid-foot.

Bench has also been progressing nicely. I've found that the more uncomfortable the starting position is, the easier the weight comes off my chest. So if I really squeeze my shoulder blades together, force the arch up, flex my lats and try to bend the bar all before lowering the weight, it basically coils my body up like a spring to force the weight up off my chest, and the rest is history.

Lifts are feeling good this year lads. Let's keep it rolling.

PALM and Chazz1111 like this.
  10. PALM

PALM Fapstronaut

Nice progress dude..if you have a ssb you could also try to cycle that in it really helped my upper back strength in the squat oh and do them with a tempo and paused..for the extra gains and pain haha

Lets keep it going
    Im still in a reha block hopefully then I can get back into some honest and hard training... it sucks seeing all guys in my gym going hard and I am basically foamrolling hahah

11. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

Ugh man that's the worst! I would add to it though, once you notice your gains slowing down, make sure you are focusing on form over weight lifted. I realized once my noob gains stopped that my form wasn't great on a few lifts and I ended up getting hurt because I thought I was still progressing but really I was just using bad form.

If any lift has you feeling like you're going to break form, stop and lower the weight. It hurts your pride a little, but that's better than tearing yourself up because "you can get one more".

12. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

I did that a couple months ago and tore a back muscle lol. So painful. All good now though, ready to get back into it.

13. My lifting has been going well on this streak ( day 89 currently) hoping to get a 500lb deadlift soon

14. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

Hi!

Haven't read the whole thread but here are my numbers. Still, a novice(?) but the novice effect is over, I can usually pr once a week now on my lower body lifts. Upper body I'm lagging, but that is because I'm on the shorter end.

5'9 170 (Was 140 when I started)

OHP - 125
    Bench - 185
    DL - 340
    Squat 290
    Power Clean - 140 (I don't train it)

Does any powerlifting here run too? For the job, I want to go for I have to run, but I love lifting so much that I refuse to stop. It's hard to balance the two, but I believe it's possible.

I lift four days a week, each day based on the main movement. I try to run on my upper body-oriented days, but I'm stumped on how I should program volume and speed.

Zephon likes this.
  15. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

350 deadlift this week!

Went up like a pillow : D

Surelight likes this.
  16. Nice. Don't think anyone posts here though, not often anyway. I just logged in and got alerted of a post here (yours). i have plateaued since my post. Getting nearer 405 squat at least. My deadlift is stuck around 460lbs. I managed 470 recently but it's dipped back down slightly.

ByTheRiver777 likes this.