Prayer group

Discussion in 'Accountability Partners' started by DudeFromAfrica, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Roland3115

Roland3115 Fapstronaut

The Nag Hammadi Scriptures, The Gospel According to Thomas, 29

Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, that is a marvel, but if spirit came into being because of the body, that is a marvel of marvels.

Yet I marvel at how this great wealth has come to dwell in this poverty."

You carry so much potential. Do not fret and do not be ashamed for the light within you is great and will help you succeed.

2. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Thanks Roland,

Although we must be careful with the gospel according to Thomas because no Christian denomination recognised it.

3. @Mr Eko did you pray for me :)
    Im still here

4. danges

danges Fapstronaut

@Mr Eko - I'm currently fine. I try to pray more often. Currently I don't have much trouble, and I have filled my free time with other activity. It's actually day 4 for me, I found this community on day 3 while looking for help. Having my focus on God lessens my propensity to think towards lustful things, but I do fear a relapse could happen within a few days, given what usually has happened before this. In any case, I am thankful to God for this day.

jesusmysaviour likes this.
  5. Roland3115

Roland3115 Fapstronaut

I recognize it as Truth. I'm not going to be careful. Can you accept that? This is not a safe space where we will agree. This is a place for self realization to the potential of what we could be if we shoulder our sin. Many denominations may not accept the gnostic texts as the word but I do not belong to a denomination. I belong to the church of Christ. I'm trying my best to center myself within Christ but I hope not to impede on your progress. The gnostic texts have inspired me to understand Christ and I will be using the scripture as a center for some of my prayers. Let me know if you find this acceptable.

6. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Lonelylife,
    Because you promised God, I am praying for you and will be praying so long as you are on this forum. But again - change your promise to a realistic one,
    Ask your pastor for permission for a lifelong promise and I'm sure he'll say that you will be in danger to break it.

Danges,
    In order not to give up take carefully the second promise, this time somewhat longer because you kept the first one.
    I suggest a promise for 24 hours, but you decide not me. Write what did you choose.

Roland,
    I accept you, follow Christ.

7. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Hi AfricanDude,

What means are you using in your recovery nowadays?

8. AfricanDude

AfricanDude Fapstronaut

Hi Mr Eko,

Honestly, the reason I fell and reset was because I just stopped caring. I stopped wanting to change and wanting to help people, I lost sight of my ways basically.

What helped me do so well last time round was because I consistently wanted to help others get through the same thing I was going through. Support from brothers and sisters on here was a major benefit, but supporting my brothers and sisters was what really got me through it. I'm doing much better, mentally, right now, since I've reached out to a few people and started getting support going again. That's something I'm sure you are familiar with, since you are still on this site and still helping other people get through this yourself.

God is awesome, I had lost my joy last year. Now that I'm getting closer to Him again the joy is coming back into my life

9. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Because I very often gave up my recovery in the past I know what this lack of joy and sadness is.
    It's nothing good and very dangerous because it's the weapon of evil spirit. He knows that human soul can't live long time feeling sadness about lost past achievement. It's our pride too. The pride is hurt because we aren't so strong as the pride thinks.

We must fight such feelings and thoughts but how?
    For sure not with our will because our thoughts and feelings are beyond our power. We must pray every time when such feelins and past thoughts come then God will give us healing and joy.

Don't think AfricaDude about record achievements and how many clean days
    will you collect because future doesn't belong to us.
    What we have and what God gives us is now and today. We must focus on now and today. The past and future are only imagination. God wants to give us joy now and today. Tomorrow it can be a war and we can be dead. The grace can come now if we don't resist it and stop it with our thoughts about future. Do what God said in the Bible now and you experience joy now, as a free gift of God.

10. AfricanDude

AfricanDude Fapstronaut

Thanks for your insight! Apart from anything else what I took away from that is that we are in the now. It applies to many parts of our lives too wouldn't you agree. We get so caught up looking at the future and trying to analyse the past that we don't end up doing God's will in the now

11. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Yes,
    It's impossible to contact with God in the past or in the future, and it's impossible to do God's will in the past or in the future. It's impossible to experience His healing and power in the past or future.
    He is not in the past or future, and we arr not in the past or future.
    It is NOW. He lives in NOW. He said -
    I AM
    Not I was or I will be.

AfricanDude likes this.
  12. danges

danges Fapstronaut

@Mr Eko - I haven't promised long intervals yet. I have had trouble with more than a week, and it's been some 5/6 days, so I'm treading more carefully. I've currently promised a day, and praying more. I'm still hesitant to promise a more extended period. Overall though, I'm doing relatively fine.

13. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Danges,

One day promise is still a very good promise. I'm very glad that you are very careful with promises because you don't want to offend God.
    The most important thing is not to break your promise. When you are too weak and it's too difficult for you to stay clean you can act out but only after you have completed the promise.
    Next time you can promise for more time.
    Remember, we are not sportsmen. What counts it's not a record of clean days. What counts is a number of clean days in a month and a progress.
    For example in May there are 16 clean days.
    In June there are 19 clean days.
    In July there are 21 clean days....and so on.

What counts is the progress. We can't be perfect after many years or decades being heavy addicted Nobody can be clean for many years after being addicted from their childhood.
    The healing needs time and patience.
    The most important thing is prayer exactly at the time of temptation. God heals when you pray and reduces the power of your weakness and gives you peace. Do not fight temptation alone without God because you will give in without His power.

AfricanDude likes this.
  14. Roland3115

Roland3115 Fapstronaut

Thank you Mr. Eko. That means a lot to me. I hope I can live up to the goals I set this week. I've come very close to failing but I've come through for now. Today will be be my fifth day and Saturday will be the first time I've gone a whole week without PO since I can remember. Any words of wisdom will help. Christ is here to help but sometimes I fail to listen to the actions I should take and go with the overwhelming feeling that comes along with relapsing.

AfricanDude likes this.
  15. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Roland,

Do you pray when tempted?
    Do you take even for short time promises to God?
    What do you do to live according to God's will?

If you do these 3 points above you will have to succeed.
    I have been doing these 3 points for over 3 years and as you see I am free for the same time.

Nothing more is needed for a believer. I do nothing more than these 3 points.

16. Roland3115

Roland3115 Fapstronaut

17. Roland3115

Roland3115 Fapstronaut

Thank you Mr.Eko i have practiced these three points and I have gotten through another day. I am very joyous of the family and friends that surround me currently so I am confident that I will make it seven days. After this I will make a goal for 14 days. May I great Christ with the willingness of my soul!

18. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Excellent Roland,

For how long did you take your current promise?

19. Roland3115

Roland3115 Fapstronaut

I promised to get to seven days and then I promised if I got to seven days I would get to 14. It sucks to admit but I relapsed again last night. I think I can make it to 14 days now though. Seven was hard, but now I know I can do it.

20. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Roland,
    You promised for too long. I said first some hours, then a day, then 2 or 3 days... very carefully.
    And you can't keep a promise if you don't pray every time when tempted and if you don't do everything possible to not to give in.
    The most important thing - no promise can be broken. Why did you promise for so long at first, without any experience, it's not sensible.
    Ask God for forgiveness.
    My tip is either you promise very carefully for short time now or give up promising althogether in order not to offend God by breaking it.
    You must change in prayer your promise for 14 days before you break it. In your case it's far too long. Change it to 1 or 2 days and only if you keep this promise carefully for, say we 2 or 3 days. No more. Changing a promise you must give God something in exchange for these 14 days unrealistic promise. For example a regular 30 minutes prayer every day for 14 days. Or anything else what according to your conscience can recompense God for this unwise 14 days promise .
    Do not do anything on your own. This approach with prayer and promises I have been doing for 4 years and have experience. Why don't you first consult with me, have you more experience on this way? Do you want to give up PMO ? If yes, listen please to people who habe done it.

LavaMe likes this.