1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Putting myself Down

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Runaway_Boulder, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Runaway_Boulder

Runaway_Boulder Fapstronaut

Hi All —

Anyone here find self-depreciation or putting themselves down comforting? For some reason a coping mechanism of fine whenever I do something I’m not sure is to tell myself “I suck, You’re stupid, No one likes me anyway, etc”. Even the smallest task like sending an email at work I tell myself “You don’t what you’re talking about”. I know this a bad habit but for some reason it reduces my tension/anxiety on unfamiliar things. But it also makes me feel inadequate with anything I do. It’s hard to explain the feeling I get when I do it. Maybe I tell myself all this stuff so when I do fail i won’t be surprised I failed b/c “I’m stupid”, it’s almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anyway, what are your guys’s thoughts?

2. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

I don't think it's a good habit because you're training yourself to not be confident. I sort of do the same thing you do but only in a joking way and to keep my big brain ego in check ;). Be adaptive for failure, but don't just default to it and accept it, the goal is success, so take the appropriate actions towards it.

Runaway_Boulder likes this.
  3. hey your listening to voice wo created the anxiety to begin with. If you tell you self you are capable and you can do it and you will. Easier said than done tho so my advice is treat yourself neutral. Dont talk down to yourself but dont compliment either (i know how uncomfortable that feels, wen u feel you cant do something just say instead i ont care the outcome ill do it anyway ride the rollercoaster but whatever the outcome doesnt matter. If its good nice but if i lose doesnt matter as i cant lose if i already think i dont care. Might sound negative sure but really ur just being neutral.Hope that helps for now untill u cant go the next step which is loving urself

Runaway_Boulder likes this.
  4. You are learning how to talk to yourself. Keep at it.

5. cresyhorse

cresyhorse Fapstronaut

Listen bro, once you feel above others, then you can use self depricating thoughts so you don't become haughty.

Other than that, in my opinion it's a bad habbit that leads to depression.

Imagine this: Now you feel anxious and for some reason self depricating thoughts make you less anxious but make you feel bad.. What if tha becomes a habbit and then one day you feel anxious and say that and the anxious thoughts don't stop! Then you'll be stuck with anxiety and feeings of desperation.

Stop doing this, but truly I tell you, search for the middle grounds. Don't become haughty but don't become desperate either.

6. I believe that this is a bad habit and can even affect your life, have you tried to make this habit the other way around? Like saying positive things about you

7. Randy Andy

Randy Andy Fapstronaut

I know a lot about this, at least I've paid attention to it in my self for years. It doesn't feel good to feel good. It doesn't feel good to have this kind of talk either but it feels familiar, like the saying "take the devil you know over the devil you don't know"
    What I heard in your description of it for your self was that it seems to feel good to say these things then it feels unhappy. I'm referring to "reduces tension... Also makes me feel inadequate."
    One thing that is interesting to me is whether there's a choice. Do you have to say these things out could you say whatever you want?