Question about Black People concerning racism

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Pureheart, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

I am from Europe and sometimes watch famous prankvideos on youtube, which mostly happen in America.

Something I see very often is that young black people get very aggressive if they are called "Ni**er"
    by white people but happen to joke with that to each other - "Yo my ni..." for example.

I always feel like these people indirectly say "White people are stupid for bying in our victim-crap"

Now, I don´t mean to offend anyone or play down the hardships black people had to go through and may still have to go through in parts of the world.

But I think it´s really impudent that some cry if they are called that and joke around with that word themselves.

Can some1 explain this to me?

again no offense here from my side, just curiosity.

2. JustADude

JustADude Fapstronaut

hahaha, that is an American mystery. You will get different answers depending on who you ask in the African American community.

3. SkyDoge

SkyDoge Fapstronaut

I think only a black person can answer this question. You can't know what it's like to be black unless you are.

I think in the beginning they were being called that a lot, and rather than letting it hurt their feelings, they decided to steal it and use it over and over until they were immune to it. It also probably helps them remember that even though it's not as bad (or at least as open anymore), there's still racism everywhere and they deal with that every day. Kind of like "if my best friend calls me the N word as a joke or nickname I get used to hearing it and it no longer has any power over me."

4. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Fapstronaut

Bonjour @Pureheart

I'm black so I can answer this question. It pretty much has to do with how you say it. In most cases it's OK to say “my nigga" which nowadays means my friend or a close friend, but still some people might not be OK with that. On the other hand, “nigger" is bringing it back to the slave times, its a insult.

Hoped this helped,
    Ace

5. Zerg Prosecutor

Zerg Prosecutor Fapstronaut

What angers me thou is that blacks call each-other niggers all the time but when a white dude does it everyone explodes.

BlackVelvet likes this.
  6. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Fapstronaut

It's pretty stupid but that's just how it is. They feel as if the white people don't deserve to say it because of slavery and stuff. If you watch the news nowadays racial tension is growing due to the police killings. Everyone is looking for something to freak out about now b.

Pureheart and Zerg Prosecutor like this.
  7. IGY

IGY Guest

Here's another: people explode if you say someone is coloured. Yet "people of colour" is OK? :rolleyes:

8. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

In my country some people say "dark pigmentet people" because they are afraid to refer to them as something else

9. DudeFromAfrica

DudeFromAfrica Fapstronaut

I find that funny, because in South Africa coloured is what we call that race, you'd probably get punched for calling a coloured guy "mixed race" here haha

10. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

I am not black but I heard Jay Z explain this on Oprah. Oprah confronted him on his use of the word especially since so many black slaves died hearing that name called at them and the suffering so many have had to endure under that term. Yet Jay Z and others use it nonchalantly in conversations and song lyrics. He explained that it was a way to take "the power back" from the slavery days and use it instead as a term of endearment to other black people. It is a way that some feel they can make the word lose it's power within the black community. A white person saying it is still too painful which I agree with. There is just too much history and we cannot erase it in just a few generations, especially when racism is so alive and well today.

There was a similar idea to take back the original meaning of the swastika. Originally it was the symbol of the red cross. So some thought that if we take the original meaning back the hated swastika will lose it's negative power. Of course that never happened but it is an interesting idea.

11. Calvinklein

Calvinklein Fapstronaut

Really good question dude..
    My opinion is it depends on how much you knw them
    For eg
    Friends call each other "hey a$$hole!!"
    Ive heard best girlfriends call each other person..
    People call each other moron and all that and laugh about it..
    Imagine if someelse said the same thing

12. MyNameIsX

MyNameIsX Fapstronaut

13. GrandMaster

GrandMaster Fapstronaut

@Pureheart Interesting thread. My take as a black person whose lived in many major cities with other blacks is below.

Yes. my friends and I use to use the N word(nigga) with each other back in the day. It was just a word/noun for us. But if a white person or anyone of any other race says it its an issue because its perceived as disrespectful no matter if they say nigga, or nigger(which is really disrespectful). But as I became educated and matured I realized though we use it as a term of endearment and just everyday use its very hypocritical for us to say it and be fine and not expect others to say it and then we became livid. Made no sense.

Hence, you will see a lot of black people using the term NEGUS. I recently started myself in college. Negus translates to King and I believe it has Ethiopian heritage. I think blacks, African Americans and Africans (no they are not all the same ) lol....Realized that we were being hypocritical and perpetuating slavery and Jim Crow and thinking it was cool but its not. Like @Limeaid said about Jay-z on Oprah "taking the power back" we thought we were but we really weren't we were kind of oppressing ourselves I think. So now we are using a more positive term. Though Negus sounds like Nigga its the exact opposite. You might have never heard a black person use the term though, but it is emerging.

A fellow Negus @KingRecover15 might be interested in this convo.

14. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

@GrandMaster thank you for the insight! After reading the books "Roots" and "Malcolm X" and learning about black history I was quite perplexed by black people using the term because it was used in such horrible ways. I used to think that some of the people who died for black freedom would roll over in their graves if they could hear some of the lyrics in popular songs. Of course it is not my place to judge any of it but I can understand both sides much better now. I think after his talk with Oprah, Jay Z changed his mind about the word and stopped using it.

15. GrandMaster

GrandMaster Fapstronaut

@Limeaid it is your place to judge. You don't have to be black to judge black people. Trust me you have a well defined opinion based on your experience and upbringing that needs to shine. And your right. It does not make sense, we were mocking insults and calling ourselves the same thing our oppressors called us. of course our ancestors were turning in there graves, it's like we spat in our own faces. But pop culture / music is another Conversation. Some of my favorite lyricist/hip hop artist use it, even one who has a B.S. Degree from a great school and I don't understand why. but the hip hop game and music labels are controlled by a certain class of people who don't look like black people and they know if they endorse these rappers and hip hop artist to feed the young minds violence, sex, money, clothes , and hoes then the status quo can some what remain the same. That's why conscious rappers never make it to the top because they speak the truth whereas the rappers who talk about violence and women and drugs are being pushed on tv and in the mainstream. But that's totally a different tangent lol.

HippyMinstrel and Limeaid like this.
  16. Homosexual people have adopted the word "fag" in a similar situation. As a white person, of course, I don't touch the N word with a ten foot pole. I certainly wouldn't use it to African-American friends. I can see the value in adopting the word and "taking it back," but sometimes I think that forces the word to use its symbolism and historical connotations, which can lead to a forgetting of those awful centuries of slavery.

Interestingly in Tanzania the same sort of thing happened. When I went to Tanzania it was a huge offense to point at someone with your index finger and call them "boy". You couldn't do that even to male children. That's because "boy" was the term the English used in colonial times to call their servants, often by pointing at them first. But in Tanzanian hip hop (bongo flava) they call each other boy all the time.

Pureheart, Limeaid and GrandMaster like this.