1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

question for christians

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 12, 2019.

1. What's interesting about that is words have power. Blaspheming for instance is not good. Prayers have power when spoken. The bible is more then an object in some ways because it contains those words. Does a bible have power or is it just a reminder of the words? It's an object but also more than that especially if you hold to it as the final authority on faith....just a thought.

need4realchg likes this.
  2. Personally, I don't think the Bible has power as an object. Like I don't think holding up a Bible to a possessed person, for instance, is going to cast out a demon. Words are different than objects. And honestly, I think we can even idolize words too.

3. Like I think the words of the Bible have power, but it's important to remember that that power comes from God, not from the words.

need4realchg and Deleted Account like this.
  4. Isn't Jesus the word made flesh? I think to some degree they are indistinguishable but I get what you mean.

5. It's hard to separate them, but I think it is an important distinction.

6. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

It does, actually, and it's not just about paganism - but as you stated, it's irrelevant to Christians who anyway don't follow old testament law.

7. I really don't think you're correct about that. But as we both said, it's not a command for us either way.

need4realchg likes this.
  8. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I was saying it as a Jewish person. I think we know a thing or two about the old testament. The verse speaks about any sort of tattoo - it's more about destroying your skin. But again, not a Christian commandment.

9. I would not say i am judging, simply pointing out his hypocrisy.

10. Well, I also know a lot about the Old Testament, so... I'm just saying, from what I've learned, I don't think you're right about that. Being Jewish doesn't mean you know everything.

It doesn't seem we are going to agree on this, but I don't think just because I'm not Jewish, I can't learn and know things about Old Testament texts. That's not true at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2019
    EthanW. likes this.
  11. LIF€ ₩ORRIOR

LIF€ ₩ORRIOR Fapstronaut

Well said on journey on this planet religious views & values have been so distorted cause many have their own interpretation of Gods words & use it for their own just cause...
    So my knee jerk reaction too these people are just go away God speaks to my heart not you...

12. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

That's great! The two of you should have lots in common then. We're all hypocrites my friend... the church isn't for the holy, it's for the broken.

13. Oh yah I agree, I simply wish for her to get that tattoo.

14. Latebloomer2017

Latebloomer2017 Fapstronaut

It always baffles me how people who claim to know the bible, haven't actually read it

Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved. So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!”MATTHEW 5:17-20

Yes the old convenant still applies. Everything in the old Testament is not to be disregarded according to your religion. Keep in mind you still have the book of Genesis, and Exodus. Oh and those lovely instructions by your "loving" god on how to treat your slaves

Stragler and need4realchg like this.
  15. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

I am, as a wretched sinner, right now, more righteous than the Pharisees because I accept Christ as the Savior, the Son of God, and the Intercessor between man and the Holy Spirit. That was Christ's point there.

It has nothing to do with tattoos or slaves or multi-fabric cloths or pork or anything else. God makes a new covenant for the express purpose of allowing salvation to be achievable by mankind through the sacrifice of his Son. The Old Testament is finished work, through the death and resurrection of Christ.

"When God speaks of a “new” covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear." (Hebrews 8:13)

So maybe don't try to be so grandiose when opening a discussion to hermeneutics and the application of theological concepts in the contemporary contexts, bruh.

Deleted Account likes this.
  16. Um... guys, bruhs, are we seriously (as Christians), arguing about the relevance of the old testament on this forum?

"Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven."

Reading this thread made me shudder. I pray victory over this vice does not convert me to an arrogant conqueror. If so, the Lord would surely fashion me a "new thorn" just rescue me from my pride.

17. BTW, I agreed with the comments above on the old testament; you don't need to be jewish to know that God's love applies to all as does his letter of Love (law).

Having one for Jews and another for non-jews would be like having a "whites only" sign on the new testament. But the world started non-jewish: Adam, Noah, Eve, Seth, Enoch, (weren't jews, but all followed God's laws). Technically Abraham, Sarah, Issac, Rebecca too weren't "jews. But I digress!

I'd MUCH rather encourage you all on your journeys and to esteem you to trust in the one who has kept you from falling, be blessed folks!

18. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Why did Christ say this last part? If Christ really wanted us to abide by old testament laws he would have simply said follow what the pharisees are telling you. However Christ is telling us to be more righteous then the pharisees, who mind you were amazing and keeping the laws of Moses. How often did we hear Christ warning people of leaven of the pharisees. You see the issue is the law was not sufficient for salvation. No matter how much we tried to abide by the law, we did not gain any life from it.

What Christ did was take the spirit of the law of give it life. It was by his love and suffering on the cross that we become truly righteous. We are no longer following a bunch of empty rules but we have become the living law. Christ himself broke the sabbath in order to heal people, showing that mercy supersedes the law.

And just a side note when it comes to versus regarding slavery, the bible was written by Jews for Jews who lived in antiquity. Owning slaves was a very common practice and economic factor, so it doesn't really surprise me that the Jews wrote about how to treat slaves in their religious books. However that does not mean that God approves it. In example of this was when the pharisees ask Christ when it was lawful for a man to put his wife away, and Christ told them that any divorced man or women commits adultery. When they asked him that this was lawful according to Moses, he told them that Moses only added this law because of their hardness of heart.

It is only through Christ we are called to a higher morality, so he is sufficient as an example for us.

need4realchg likes this.
  19. Um—- empty rules? Insert minion emoji “ whaaaa”?

what did you mean by Jesus broke the sabbath?

if Jesus broke the sabbath, then he sinned... for sin is a “transgression of the law..”. The sabbath is the fourth commandments which is not “empty” but gives life according to the psalmist: “if they call my sabbaths a delight, then You will delight yourself in the Lord, I will make you ride on the heights of the nations, Isa 58:13-14. That’s referencing the 4th commandment with a promise! Also “honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days will be long upon the land which the lord thy father give the thee...” here is another promise, I don’t think they are empty... what do you think?

My friend, Jesus did not break the sabbath according to God’s commandment; but he broke it according to their custom.

The difference is important. Customs are what the nation did as a means of culture, not necessarily fundamental or connected to the actual scriptures.

You are correct about the healing. Or even the disciples eating corn. But he went to temple and congregated on sabbath and rested on sabbath (according to the actual commandment).

Do you think remember when Jesus resurrects on the first day of the week (Easter Sunday) and Mary goes to touch him, and he tells her “do not yet touch me, for I have not yet ascended to see my father.” What the implication is that God had to review his Sons sacrifice to determine if it was without spot or blemish... this happened every Passover the high priest inspected the lamb then slaughtered it then entered the most holy place and if the sacrifice was not perfect (without sin) the high priest died at the altar. so if your original assertion about Jesus breaking sabbath were truly correct, then Jesus sinned and his death would have been in vain.

Again, He would not have been eligible for resurrection, if he had died a sinner for a sinner. Sinlessness or perfection was required for Christ to become the paschal lamb.

Maybe I didn’t understand what you meant but Christ didn’t “break the sabbath”...

Blessings my friend,

20. Yeah... I understand that, dude. I didn't say the entire Old Testament should be "disregarded." You want to explain to me, then, why we are all totally fine with wearing fabrics woven by two different cloths? There is context to be taken into account. I didn't say the whole Old Testament is garbage, but that part in Leviticus was not meant for us.

Trust me, I have read my Bible.

need4realchg likes this.