1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: What to do after a relapse?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. GetFreeStayFree

GetFreeStayFree Fapstronaut

Recently I relapsed....

What works for you after a relapse to stand up and get going again? (Not to fall for a relapse vicious cycle if you know what I mean).

Do you have any tips?

control your life likes this.
  2. Pray and ask the Lord for forgiveness. Admit your weakness and ask for His strength. Do not make promises; this leads to the cycle of shame and abuse.

3. Restart, be aware that anywhenn you will succeed. And that works only if you go back to fight everytime seriously. Never give up.

GetFreeStayFree likes this.
  4. Soy

Soy Fapstronaut

1. repent
    2. Immerse yourself in the presence of God. He will show up.
    3. Worship him! This way you will remove shame and guilt from the throne of your heart. Thank him for who He is and realize that his grace is sufficient.
    4. Identify where you went wrong and make sure that mistake doesn't happen again. Remember, Satan also learns from your mistakes. So don't fall into the same trap twice.
    5. Forgive yourself. That's it.
    6. Find something to fill the void.

Maxmitu and Azzure like this.
  5. There are many great pearls of wisdom above (and no doubt more to come). One thing I have learned to do is show myself mercy. Just like our Lord will do to us. He's not frustrated with us, he's not angry with us, he's not about to walk out on us, and he's not going to torment us. So why should you or I do that to ourselves? He'd want us to learn from our relapse, gain experience and keep trying to overcome.

Nowadays, I simply pour out my soul to Heavenly Father in prayer and recommit to trying again. I don't get all depressed or disappear into the underworld. I face it like a man and get back to working towards overcoming my weakness. If a man struggles throughout life and tries to sincerely and genuinely overcome a sin then the Lord will surely apply His grace and offer His enabling power to help that man to eventually overcome that sin.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Mr. McMarty likes this.