1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

rage

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by ALEX_88, Oct 5, 2018.

1. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

guys, how do you manage your rage? you explode? endured?

2. Everyone gets upset sometimes but rage is a learned behavior. I used to say I had a bad temper because I thought I had a bad temper but this was basically me picking up bad habits from my father. After making a concious effort to behave differently, I don't get nearly as upset over small stuff. When I get frustrated or deal with serious aggression I get heated but my responses are much more controlled.

3. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

but when one has moods that irritate you, how do you do?

4. Anger is natural. Depends upon the situation, how I channel it. I usually workout, or go do 500 soccer kicks and it goes away. But whenever I let my anger get the better of me, I have always came to regret it later on.

ALEX_88 and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Again, everyone gets pissed off sometimes and there are certain offenses that set people off even more but if youre somewhat mature, you do have some control as to how much you let that offense effect you.

I used to get really pissed off when someone cut me off while driving to the point of flipping out, cursing, handsigns and yelling out the window. At some point I realized getting pissed off and reveling in rage is hurting me 1000 times more than the person who offended. I'm raising my own blood pressure and ruining my day while the asshole who cut me off doesn't even know I'm mad.

I hate when people are intentionally disrespectful but I learned to stop taking everything so personally. I heard a pastor say "Hurt people hurt other people". Most of the ignorant shit people do is a result of their own disfunctionality and lack of awareness. It's almost like they're like babies and they cant help it so over reacting to stupidity is almost like going off on a baby for crying.

I'm black in the US so I've had plenty of practice applying this philosophy to real life. If I got all worked up every time someone said something racially insensitve or committed a micro aggression as the snowflakes would say, I would be upset all the time and thats no way to live. If you let some idiot or some minor incident ruin your day then basically you've failed and wasted a day of your own life. I someone didn't kill you livelihood, bang your wife, threaten your life or punch your grandfather in the nuts or something on that level then its not worth getting worked up.
    -

ALEX_88 and elevate like this.
  6. As much as I talk about leaving the church behind there are actually some verses from the Bible that I cling onto for help with my anger.

I have them memorized and meditate on these frequently.

Since this is a secular forum I'll paraphrase them to leave the religious parts out. So these verses aren't exactly as in the Bible:

-----Be ye kind one to another, tender hearted, forgiving one another...

-----The anger of man worketh not...righteousness...

-----A soft answer turneth away wrath

These have been big helps for me over the years.

ALEX_88 likes this.
  7. Meditation Monk

Meditation Monk Fapstronaut

lol y did you leave the church? i do not get that, but oh well, I move on, I am not too worried about that. I am still in church and I am 29 years old. And as for advice, try to stay busy and preoccupied with your life and you will "THINK" less about your anger, do some volunteer work at the animal shelter or at a food bank or go back to college and get your degree. The more preoccupied you are with your life, the better you will feel about yourself and your anger will be gone.

ALEX_88 likes this.
  8. I used to explode pretty often and I could go from mr nice guy to mr rage like a light switch. I found out it got me nowere I messed up some relationships because of it got fired from a few jobs because of it but that was before I had any respect for myself. Things still do upset me but I realized now that I am worth more than blowing up about something and rethinking it over and over ,my time and health are worth more .My guess anger problems and lack of self esteem go hand in hand.

ALEX_88 and elevate like this.
  9. I’m 51 years old. Grew up in church. Was very active in church until my mid-40’s. But now I think it was all a waste. Perhaps when you get older, cynical, and jaded like me you might leave also. When I was 29 I was excited about church and didn’t think I’d ever leave. Now I have no intention of ever going back.

——-

Out Bursts Of Anger also has a lot to do with pride. Having a humble attitude towards others help in the area of anger.

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. Meditation Monk

Meditation Monk Fapstronaut

That's your choice bruh. But if someone asks you to smoke with them would you do it? Or to sleep with women? Then no, well, it will be my choice to keep going even at the age of 51. Everyone can make their own choices in this life. Just like with smoking, drinking, attending AA meetings, etc.

11. Nugget9

Nugget9 Fapstronaut

Maybe he thinks church is all stories from a book and he has better things to do. They are just stories. But a lot of people have fun with church. Sheep follow sheep, it has always been that way. I used to be religious but have grown and used my brain and stopped following the masses, plus there are a lot of predators in church, it happened to me first hand which did start me to think that I did not need to be a follower. I am smarter than that and a lot of people need that which I do understand that it helps them. It did not help me.

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

No matter what happens in your life, it's your responsibility to choose how you perceive and react towards it.

Is the short term gratification of releasing that rage that causes long term negative consequences worth it?

Sure, attacking someone that wronged you would feel great, but being in jail isn't good. Telling your supervisor to fuck off sounds awesome at first... until you're unemployed and about to be evicted from your home because of late payments.

Is it better to channel that rage towards something more positive or just let go of it entirely and focus on things that will actually benefit your life? Do you choose a negative route or a positive one? Do you choose to hold on to bitterness or choose to get better? There's that saying that the best revenge is living a great life. Are the negative consequences worth limiting all the positives in your life?

There are better things to focus on in life. The potential for life to be better far outweighs the choice of flushing it all down the drain because of fleeting emotions that got the better of you.

Adults face consequences. You can't just do anything you want just because you felt like it.

By placing more value on things that are actually important.

ALEX_88 likes this.
  13. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

thank you all for the answers, they are really motivational