1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last book you read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview Fapstronaut

Halfway through the Nakano Thrift Shop by Hiromi Kawakami. Enjoying it, a simple slice of life with a bit of romance. Edited weirdly though. Sometimes the dialogue is in speech marks, sometimes not. Odd.

183.204 g/mol likes this.
  2. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
    Very interesting read about the dynamics of introversion in a culture that encourages extraversion. She talks a lot about the benefits that both personality traits have. I'd call it a must-read particularly if you're introverted. I'd give it a 4/5.

3. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman: 3/5

4. Daniel Plainview

Finished the book. A good read. Next up, The Best of Richard Matheson, a short story collection from the writer of such works as I Am Legend and Nightmare At 20,000 Feet, which was adapted into the Twilight Zone episode of the same name.

5. The Goblet of Fire is one of my favorite Harry Potter movies, but man alive, this book has put me in a slump. Lol I'm still only a few chapters in. It's just a challenge to get into for some reason. Hopefully it'll get more interesting soon.

engelman likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Sounds interesting, what is it about?

7. One thing I've noticed about the difference in the Harry Potter books vs the movies is that the books really dug deeper into the issue of racism and classism. I'm kind of disappointed that the movies glossed over that so much.

Basiclsly the entire motivation behind Voldemort and the death eaters is racism against muggles and against wizards born to muggle parents. That point is only barely mentioned in the movies. It really makes you dislike Draco even more, because he is not just a bully, he's a racist bully who repeatedly says that he hopes Hermoine will be killed for being a "mudblood." That was barely brought up in the movies at all.

I think they did a fairly good job in the movies when the issue of house elves was brought up, with Dobby, but it was really more about the Malfoy family in that movie. Like the movies framed that issue as if the Malfoys are just rich jerks who treat their staff poorly. But in the books, it's a much more serious issue.

I just read a scene last night that really hurt my heart and that I wish would have been included in the movies. There was another house elf (not Dobby) that Harry and Hermoine and Ron met, and it was being treated very, very poorly, not only by her master but by others as well. She ran away from her master's tent, because the death eaters were storming the place and everybody was running and screaming in fear, and her master said she would need to be punished for that (fired, essentially, from being his slave, which to her was a deeply sad thing), because he hadn't given her permission to leave his tent.

That scene where the elf was being interrogated for something she didn't do, yelled at by some man accusing her, and then punished by her master for fleeing for her life, really turned my stomach. It makes me glad to know that so many young people who love Harry Potter are getting much more than just an entertaining story about magic. And I feel like the movies dropped the ball in this regard. They really cleaned all that up and made it seem like only the Mafloy family, and other really evil people like Voldemort, had problems with being racist or classist.

engelman likes this.
  8. Oh, and this makes me extra sickened by all of the people who "ship" Draco and Hermoine together. That's super gross. That would be like reading a historical novel in the days of slavery and shipping a black person with a slave driver. I don't understand why anyone would think Draco and Hermoine would be a cute couple.

engelman likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Having only watched the movies, I did always find it extremely odd that the wizarding world is structured the way it is, with non-humans segregated and sometimes enslaved. Kinda made it difficult for me to root for the heroes winning when they supported a system that supported slavery.

Reminds me of that Dr Who episode with the Ood, where it turns out the only reason they "love to serve" is because they were essentially lobotomised.

TakingTheSteps likes this.
  10. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

The rest of wizards isn't much better. When Potter asks Hagrid why are the wizards in hiding from the muggle population he explains that it's because muggles would want magic to improve their lives too and that would be just too much work for the wizards. He says that almost as an aside when Ministry of Magic is introduced to the reader in the first book which is sort of bizarre since this segregation is certainly one of the foundational qualities of the Potterverse. I think Rowling just did not think it through very well lol. Btw Americans seem to be indoctrinated into viewing racism as the most horrible sin which is laughable. It's not such a big of a deal, stop seeing it everywhere and spare us the moral panic.

11. karlos kent

karlos kent Fapstronaut

May be the last book I read was around 1 year ago. I read the thread and my books kinda seems very off topic from the thread. Dont exactly remember the last book so i thought why not list 2 books. My last 2 books were:
    1) Elon Musk---How the CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our future. (5/5)
    2) The monk who sold his Ferrari (by Robin Sharma) (5/5)
    Both books were really worth reading. If anyone is thinking to read them, just go for it!

Meshuga likes this.
  12. The seeker

The seeker Fapstronaut

I know it's all just opinion but I thought it was by far and away the best book he ever wrote. I know it it was his first major novel but none of his other works kept me as engrossed as that one.

13. The seeker

The seeker Fapstronaut

Just read the the great Gatsby and it was incredible. It is only 180 pages but absolutely puts you through the emotional wringer. 4/5

Meshuga likes this.
  14. I loveeee Doctor Who. My favorite show ever. That episode with Donna and the Ood was so valuable for her character. I love how she so easily accepted these other alien races as beings who deserve the same rights and respect as everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2022
    engelman likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

I used to like Doctor Who, but it was a long, slow decline for me that culminated with the final Capaldi episode being the last straw.

16. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

cuz of all the genocide/ethnic cleansing of 20-21th century? or their own history of slavery, oppression and genocide? Or just maybe taking nazi germany as an example of what can happen when it get too far(and their role in stoping it)? take your pick.
    I personally wouldn't take Hagrid opinion on something such as this he is not exactly bright or at least very naive, a more likely reason is that the wizards are afraid of muggle, wether it is Voldemort or Grindelwald they both wanted to subjugate them but not in an all out war, rather by influencing head of state and use of selective assassination. It is implied that muggles in the dark ages persecuted wizards and magical creatures, driving the wizards into hiding as well and many magical creatures(the ones who survived them), and then just forgot about them. The wizards let themselves fade into myth. This was back when their most powerful weapons were trebuchet and crossbow and their total population was below 1B. Now wizards are shown to be able to have telekinetic powers and their wand can one shot humans easily enough tough it can be blocked physically; but it is slow, can only target one person at a time and wizards themselves have not been shown to have supersonic reaction speed that the slowest human weapon can easily exceed as well as various WMD that are just as fast. It is not by accident that homo sapiens are the only humans around or that no animals take them as their prey of choice, hiding is the smart move here.

17. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

Ethnic cleansing is older than the 20th century and certainly less than pleasant however that's not racism - races, as in how most people understand them, are the 3 basic ones. The overwhelming amount of ethnic violence was and is among groups of the same race and thus not racist according to this definition. Slavery has nothing to do racism, the American kind is the only case I can think of where the slaves were of specific race and even then the reason for that was that in Western sub-Saharan Africa where the colonists of America and their progeny got their slaves, you simply couldn't buy a non-black one. Race happens to be inherited and so did the slave status so there you go. The German genocide was so non-racist that in order to figure out whether you ought to be interned in a camp and gassed the Gestapo had to dig into your documents since by looks alone it couldn't be decided.

This really doesn't sound like he's stating his opinion here, more like repeating a commonly-known fact:
    Even if it was just Hagrid's confused view, it's still weird that this here is AFAIK the *only* occurrence in the books where the topic is discussed.

Brain-Police likes this.
  18. Oh yeah, I agree. I've only seen the series with Bill and that was the last one for me. From what I've heard of the series after that, I'm not looking forward to watching it. Everything after Clara left has been pretty crappy imo. And I'm extremely pissed about the stupid Timeless Child crap. I heard about that and it made me not even want to watch it anymore.

19. Sorry, but I disagree. I think it's obvious enough, in my opinion, that the wizarding world is kept secret because they fear how they would be treated by humans. I'm not sure if there is any specific mention of that, but I don't think there needs to be, because it's a very common trope. Look at any vampire story ever. Creatures who are different than humans (even the ones who don't harm humans) don't want humans to know about them, or else they might be taken and studied or killed out of fear. Harry's family is a good example of how some muggles would react toward wizards if they knew about them. That's a really common trope in most any contemporary story with supernatural elements, where the overall story is set in our world, but there is a secret magic world that we humans don't know about.

It's also just more fun to read. Rowling made a choice, instead of making up a completely new fantasy world in which humans and wizards coexist, or wizards are on their own planet or something, she made this magical secret world that exists in our own world, but that we don't know about. I think that was just a choice made because, quite frankly, it's fun. It's fun for kids to imagine that there is magic out there and there is this cool, secret land that we haven't discovered yet. That's a lot more fun (and also easier for kids to grasp) than a completely new world that's totally different from our own.

I've never gotten any impression at all that the wizarding world is kept secret because they're selfish and don't want to share magic with the muggles. Maybe some people feel that way, but I never got the sense that any of the "good guys" do. I mean, Ron's dad is absolutely obsessed with muggle culture and loves muggles. There is even a class at Hogwarts about muggle culture.

183.204 g/mol likes this.
  20. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

For one your definition of racism is either outdated or just plain inaccurate, the etymology of words is not their definition; There has been ethnic cleansing before but for the most part it was localized in a single city or geographical area, 20-21th century is different in that it was a consistent government backed effort at total extermination of an ethnic group, you can believe whatever you want but the definition of genocide was made in reaction of the Armenian genocide, if you don't believe that is caused by racism that's on you and i don't want to discuss that point further, let's agree to disagree.
    Wether it's in the book or the tv there is plenty of occurrence where the wizards show that they are scared of humans either becoming aware of them or going to war with them, Grindelwald's whole deal was that humans technology was becoming steadily stronger while magic was staying static or going weaker.