1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last book you read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Exactly... that's exactly why it's so irresponsible to make your main characters endorse racism and what is essentially slavery. In an adult book, I could see that theme being addressed in this way and having it be something more subtle that people can discuss and dig into. But children aren't going to think that way. They are just going to see their favorite character being racist and think "well, if Harry Potter says it's okay, then I guess it's okay."

No. I will read and enjoy stories however I want to. One of my favorite things in the world is analyzing stories and thinking about them deeply. Don't tell me how to live my life. I have no interest in blindly ignoring problems in books just so I can "have a liking feeling." I don't think there's anything wrong with digging deep into a story and discussing what you like and dislike about it. Not everybody has to like everything all the time, nor do we have to think the author did a good job and didn't write anything poorly.

I think it's a) extremely irresponsible to endorse racism in a children's book (which, by the way, is harmful because of people who read books the way you do, without thinking very deeply about them and just blindly supporting the main character's decisions because the author wants you to. The author has effectively made you, without thinking, adopt a racist mentality without even realizing it or recognizing it as bad) and b) poor writing to make your main character do something so unlikable, without addressing it as a flaw, because it makes people not want to root for them anymore, which is what the author wants you to feel.

The author wants me to like Harry and Ron and to feel positive feelings about them. She failed in that by making them racist. This is just bad writing. I'm an author, myself, and it would be a huge mistake if I decided to, say, make the lead male in a romance novel chest on his girlfriend and never address that being a bad thing or a flaw of his. Readers would hate him, as they should because that's a horrible thing to do, and if I wanted them to like him, then I failed. I wrote a bad character if I wanted him to be likeable and made him do horrible things that everyone rightfully thinks are wrong. Not only is it rather disgusting to endorse racism in your book, it's also just bad writing.

Also, this is quite ridiculous and rude to say. I could have easily said that the reason you aren't thinking deeply about the story is because you're too young to think deeply about things, but I did not say that, because it's incredibly rude.

There is nothing wrong with thinking deeply about stories. They were written to be thought about deeply. Authors of children's books don't write them with the intention of nobody thinking deeply about them or having deep emotions about them. You can read books however you want, but stop insulting the way I read and basically saying it's because I'm old and don't know how to enjoy books. That's ridiculous.

The last thing I will say is this: stories absolutely have a huge impact on the real world. Fiction shapes people's views of the real world, whether you realize it or not. To think you can just completely separate the two is, in my opinion, extremely naive. Especially if we are talking about children, who are even MORE susceptible to being influenced by fiction. This is why we don't allow children to read books about certain subjects that we consider to "grown up" for them, because they aren't fully able to think logically through these things. They are going to adopt the very same mentality you have, which leads to supporting a mindset that is wrong and not thinking it's a bad thing that you are supporting that mindset because "it's just fiction."

People indoctrinate people through fiction all the time. It's extremely common and very effective, especially in younger people, but even in adults. Fiction matters to the real world and has a huge impact on the real world. It's why romance writers, like myself, should care about what kind of romantic relationships we write about, because we don't want to glorify abuse. Because young teenage girls read a bunch of books with love interests who are glorified as the heroes of the books, but they are emotionally abusive to their partners and they do tons of things that are huge red flags in a real relationship, that is harmful. Those girls, if they are just reading books the way you suggest, will allow the author to take them on an emotional journey that leads them to have loving feelings about a boy who is being abusive. If you think that kind of mindset doesn't carry into real life, even just subconsiously, you're wrong. Those girls could easily end up meeting a boy who reminds them of the love interest in their favorite book, and they could think (again, even subconsciously) "oh, this guy must be a good boyfriend, because the girl in that book was so in love with her man and they had a great happily ever after." But that boy isn't a good boyfriend... he's abusive. But the author has now essentially indoctrinated this girl into seeing abuse as normal and part of a good, happy relationship.

Authors have a big responsibility. When people pick up a book, especially if they are reading the way you are, they are essentially allowing the author full reign over their mind and heart, to take them on an emotional journey, and they will follow the author wherever they want to take them. That's a huge responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly, in my opinion. It's almost borderline brainwashing, depending on how susceptible the reader is. If you're a good enough writer, you can get someone to feel sympathy and acceptance for all kinds of different things that are morally reprehensible. And if people don't stop to think logically ever about what they are reading, they are going to be very easily susceptible to being brainwashed by whatever agenda the author wants to accomplish.

There is great power in words and stories. It's not as simple as you suggest to separate stories from reality and their impact on reality.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2022
  2. In fact, did you know that this is actually literally one of the prominent ways that people brainwash societies?

Back when gay relationships were not considered acceptable, there was a large group that discussed the importance of getting people to accept gay relationships as normal and good. Ans you know what their main way of doing that was? They wanted to have more gay representation in media, specifically where gay characters are portrayed as the good guys and the people who are against the gay characters are portrayed as the bad guys. And that's exactly what they set out to do, and it (along with other things) worked to make gay relationships more accepted as normal.

Now, I'm not making a commentary on whether or not that was a good thing, just that it was an effective thing.

But did you know that there is currently a group of people trying to do this exact same tactic with ped0philia? They want to do this exact same thing: see more ped0philes in media, portrayed as good characters, and more bad guys portrayed as being anti-ped0philia.

The reason they want to do this is because it works. And the reason it works is because people are very susceptible to being influenced by fiction. And that's why authors like JK Rowling have a responsiblity not to portray their good, main character role models as racists who support slavery.

3. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

That's very true. However the house elves were a magical species, not humans, so selectively targeting them with anything can hardly be called racism. Also, they enjoyed their enslavement - Dobby and Kreacher were exceptions, dysfunctional machines of sort. You might protest that it's a nuance that doesn't make it to the subconscious while the social stratification does. And you might be right. I doubt Rowling, who is a Labour activist, intended that however. The elves, just like muggles, are plot device, not social commentary.

I read a Soviet propaganda children's book when I was about 5. It had three major locations which corresponded to three stages of society according to Marxist theory. There was the Sun City, hi-tech and flawless, which represented communism and a dirty chaotic colony on the Moon which represented capitalism. As a child I found the Moon colony much more exciting than the Sun City, so in my case, the propaganda backfired.

4. That makes zero sense... they are an entire race of beings who are being treated poorly for their race. That's racism. The wizards are also magical beings. so are giants and goblins and many other different species. To pretend that there is no parallel to racism with that is just stupid.

Lol have you not heard racist people make that exact same arguement about the black slaves in America? You're literally unironically using the same arguement as slave owners, and you don't see an issue with that?

I have no idea what she intended, and I'm not making any claims about her intent. I'm talking about the outcome and the harm and, honestly, from the start I was actually just saying something about a book that I didn't like because it made me dislike the characters.

Just like the muggles? Um, no... there is very clearly a message in the Harry Potter books about racism against muggles being bad. That's like the entire motivation of Voldemort and the death eaters. Blood purity. They are racist against muggles, and people like Hermione who they call "mudbloods," all of which is portrayed as wrong and evil.

But then our main characters turn around and act the exact same way toward house elves, and we are supposed to be okay with it and think they are still the good guys? I'm sorry, but I just think it's ridiculous to act like there is nothing wrong with that message. Whether you find it offensive or not, you should at least be able to admit it's bad writing.

5. Kim Wexler

Kim Wexler Fapstronaut

Harry Potter has always been one of those franchises I have to turn my brain off to enjoy. As an autistic person I tend to fixate on worldbuilding and lore in fiction, and both of those things tend to be quite inconsistent in Harry Potter. JK Rowling constantly adding new stuff as an attempt to keep the series relevant doesn't help either.

Meshuga likes this.
  6. Kim Wexler

Kim Wexler Fapstronaut

I'm a big fan of horror stuff. I get a strange kick out of stuff that pushes boundaries into weird or shocking material. A book in that ballpark I read recently was "The Girl Next Door" by Jack Ketchum. It's a fictionalized retelling of the Sylvia Likens case, where a teenage girl was imprisoned in a basement and tormented by her caregiver and the neighborhood children. Very upsetting to read but excellent, and treated with the respect it deserves by the author.

TakingTheSteps likes this.
  7. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Stories are important. You can tell because people are obsessed with them. There are entire industries devoted to telling stories; TV shows, films, plays, books, podcasts, video games, graphic novels and webcomics. We have dense nomenclature to differentiate what kinds of stories we’re communicating and consuming; biography, sci-fi, documentary, newscast, fantasy, general fiction, horror, romance, reality TV, anecdote. We tell stories to each other. We listen to stories being told. Some stories last for years? Decades? Try millennia. Pinocchio, Cinderella, Jack & the Beanstalk… then there’s the religious ones, stories, whether you take them as fact or fiction; Noah’s Flood, Garden of Eden, Tower of Babel. We are fascinated with stories. We need stories, somehow. People dedicate huge amounts of time and/or money to develop and share stories, at a net loss, and they know their chances of success are slim to none and they do it anyway. We share stories at work, we have favorite stories from our own lives, about our own families, that we refine and repeat, over and over, defining ourselves and reassuring ourselves of our own identity and group identity, even as the story changes ever so slightly and becomes something that didn’t exactly happen.

Stories are huge. Stories are a sequence of cause and effect that hold us fascinated. Big stories, the ones that capture national or international attention, like Harry Potter, are particularly important if only for the impact they have on the public consciousness. It’s not “just” a children’s book. It’s part of the most influential set of books in the last 100 years, in part because it’s a children’s book. Nearly every kid of a certain age, an impressionable age where their brains were developing and they were integrating abstract ideas about how good people should behave in the world, read this book. Hand waving this as a children’s book with the implication that it consequently does not matter, is the opposite of how this story should be treated.
    Literally every university has an entire department dedicated to literature, where they do nothing but dismantle narratives and apply logic to the emotions. You don’t dedicate your life to this stuff as a professor (see the importance of story as evidenced by our collective obsession with it), you don’t even get a degree in this stuff, unless you love stories, not despite, but because of the intense study you apply to them.

lol wut? Adults love kids’ stories. Know who reads most YA? Adult women. The whole thing is condescending, and ignorant. Although it’s not ur mistake cuz ur age a bit low. Not had enough time to learn stuff.

This is true. If you can’t see how anyone could love something, you’re not using your imagination. Or you’re using hyperbole, which I think Steps was doing.
    Connecting a story with real world anything is, arguably, the entire point of the story. Otherwise it doesn’t mean anything. It can’t even be entertaining if it doesn’t mean anything, because then it isn’t interesting. It’s all a metaphor for something, even when the author insists it’s not. Art comes from a place, not a vacuum, there’s a reason they said what they did and not another, otherwise the story would be complete gibberish, which isn’t a story. Even Lewis Carroll’s absurdist children’s books and poems mean something.

When faced with the accusation that Harry Potter, the hero of a story you like, behaves in a racist fashion, and that behavior is not presented as a flaw to be overcome but is condoned in the narrative, there are several appropriate ways to handle it. You could say the accuser misunderstood. You could claim the rules of racism don’t apply in this context. You could say the humor of the situation justifies the racism, which would be even more disturbing but I could see that being a way a person could respond. Or you could agree and say the narrative is imperfect, but has enough merits that you still enjoy it. Dismissing it as “just a fun story” that doesn’t have real world application and shouldn’t have real world application, is missing an opportunity. Why is it entertaining in the first place? Why do you like it? It might sound like meaningless navel-gazing, but if you figure out why you like certain things, you’ll learn a lot about yourself and how to perhaps build yourself into someone who can behave more in line with their personal values, and what direction you need to take in the future.

8. The thing is, if the house elves were just some magical slave creatures, I could see your point about the parallel being silly.

But the thing is, I'm not the one who made the parallel... the author themselves made the parallel, IN the book, by having one of their characters acknowledge the fact that the house elves are being unfairly enslaved and that the wizarding world is racist against them. And the author brought this up only to have all of the other good guys in the book say "eh, we don't care, stop being so overdramatic Hermione."

So you can act all you want like I'm "reading into things" or something, but I'm literally just reading exactly what the author wrong. She recognize that the characters in the book were being racist, and that the treatment of house elves was wrong. And then she made her main characters choose to not give a crap about it. I think that's gross, harmful, and wrong. You're not going to convince me otherwise, so I think we need to just agree to disagree at this point.

9. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

All people with wizarding privilege treat the NMs (non-magics, let's use acronyms like good SJWs) in less than moral fashion. Harry et al. might not want to commit genocide like Voldy but they're perfectly okay letting NMs suffer terribly from diseases and other things when help would be easy to provide. I think we spoke about this earlier already.

I'm certainly not going to argue with that evaluation lmao. I used to devour HP when the books were first published, but after all of my attempts at re-reading them as an adult failed because you can roll your eyes only so many times before giving up, the nostalgic affection I had is gone. I still appreciate the use of Latin, though.

10. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

Well, wizards and muggles are people, humans. The elves are not. Would you consider having dogs sleep on the ground racist?

No, I'm not American. And I'm not making an argument but an observation. If it's an issue or not depends whether it's a true one or not - the point is that the American slavers were wrong, right? The blacks did not enjoy being enslaved. But I'm pretty sure the elves did - that's the lore. You assume that Hermione was right with her abolitionism while everyone else was wrong but I think it was the opposite. You're making the same mistake as her - judging magical affairs with muggle superstition.

11. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

My two cents: it gets dicey when you start trying to define personhood and rights. Some people do go so far as to consider dogs being treated as anything less as racist. Or specist, as it were. Dogs clearly think and feel. In the UK I think they banned eating octopus, because they decided that particular sort of cephalopod is smart enough that eating them is unethical. But we also think human babies are okay to kill, even after they can feel pain. It’s complicated.

In the case of the house elves, they clearly think and feel, but are ugly (a subjective standard) and aren’t so bright. And Rowling chose to make them enjoy their servitude, which definitely is a thing pro-slavers used to claim. Frederick Douglass, an ex-slave and one of the first recognized intellectuals on the subject of slavery, refused to be photographed while smiling because he didn’t want to propagate the “happy negro” stereotype.
    It’s that Rowling made so many choices that make it seem like house elves are a metaphor for African slavery. It’s weird, and gross, to see that in the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

At minimum, Harry could have given Dobby some clean socks. I thought Dobby gets his freedom, though? Isn’t this fussing premature?

12. Kim Wexler

Kim Wexler Fapstronaut

The plot of the upcoming game Hogwarts Legacy is actually about a goblin rebellion in the 1800's. While goblins are not slaves in the Wizarding World, they are essentially second-class citizens, despite being basically as intelligent as humans and capable of magic.

Honestly, I don't know what JK Rowling was thinking with some aspects of Harry Potter lore. The way human wizards subjugate and segregate magical beings almost seems to be some sort of commentary on imperialism, and the way the "good guys" benefit from this without thinking or caring about the implications could be a commentary on modern neo-liberalism. But it's so muddled I have no real idea.

I mean, come on, this is a story where the Irish character is called Seamus Finnigan and likes to blow stuff up. JK may as well have also made him an IRA sympathizer for how much of a stereotype that was.

TakingTheSteps and SPQR like this.
  13. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

Honestly this debate makes Potter seem more interesting than he deserves.

It's been a while since I read it but I think that after Hermione's attempts at freeing the school elves they refused to clean up after the Gryffindors or something as they took it for an insult.

Were they groomed into accepting slavery or was it their natural preferred state and does it even matter in the end? If emancipation is actively resisted by the subject party should it be forced on them since we know better what's good for them? Wouldn't it be like the animal's rights groups who free animals only for them to promptly die?

You raise another interesting and truly distressing point there - if it's unacceptable to kill octopuses, how come we allow slaughter of human babies?

14. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

Btw "dogs clearly think" is a controversial statement to say the least.

t0b1 likes this.
  15. You might enjoy a book I mentioned here a while back, called "The Last Thing to Burn."

16. Kim Wexler

Kim Wexler Fapstronaut

Thanks, I'll take a look!

17. Fantasia

Fantasia Fapstronaut

I just started by buying a compilation of 4 books, the "mainstream" books of Socrates life (Symposium; Apology, Crito, Phaedon) If i have to be honest i think Symposium was unnecessary in there but maybe i remind bad, since it was the first philosophic book (Symposium) book i've read. So i suggest you to do the same and if you find Symposium boring move directly to Apology, because this "triology" help you to understand things like how the Death isn't the greatest enemy of the humanity but just a normal fact like sleep or eat, i would suggest it to Hypocondriacs. Even if i still think that Phaedrus and Timaios are the best, but is my personal opinion, i would like to know your opinion if you will read these books. The Republic sometime it get boring even if i've read it two times, initially the interlocutors try to defend their ideas, but for mostly of the chapters they get completly confutated-raped by Socrates and they have no chance to debate, i was feeling like they were supposed to do so, but is an unfinished dialogue so mostly of the time they just say "yeah", "right" and never face Socrates openly

SPQR likes this.
  18. Freaking thank you. Lol geez louise, the only person who seems to understand what I am saying.

I wouldn't, no. But I don't think that's a fair equivalency at all. Elves are nothing like dogs... they are exactly like humans in almost every way. There is no logical reason to say they are equivalent to dogs instead of to humans. All of the other human-like creatures in the wizarding world have rights, and I don't see how elves are any less "human" or "people" than Goblins. Yet goblins are in charge of the bank system and have a pretty high importance in wizard society.

I think we just have a completely different perception of that. First of all, I think there actually were some slaves in America who would have said they were happy with what they had. But that would only be because they didn't fully know what they were missing. Just like someone who has grown up being abused might say they are happy in an abusive relationship, because that's what they think love is. That doesn't make the abuser correct...

Someone being happy, or thinking they are happy, doesn't make the abusive, immoral behavior of the other person justified. So I reject that logic.

For example, when Harry gave Dobby that old crusty sock, Dobby was ecstatic! But the reason he was so happy is because he thinks of himself as less than Harry, so of course he should be honored to receive any gift, even one that's thoughtless and was essentially a piece of garbage to Harry.

Does the fact that Dobby was happy and thought that was kind of Harry actually make it kind? No, of course not. It wasn't kind at all. To Harry, that gesture essentially said "oh crap, I didn't think to get Dobby a present. Well, he has nothing, so he'll probably be happy with anything. So I don't need to actually make an effort or give him something nice. I'll just dig in my trunk and fish out a piece of trash."

It sickened me to read that scene. Harry is literally rich. He could have given Dobby something much more special than that, but instead he treated him like he was basically an animal he could throw his scraps at. Actually, scratch that: I treat my animals way better than that.

latobg44 likes this.
  19. I'll respond to the other comments when I have some time. But for now I just have to say this...

We also need to remember that we aren't talking about real people here... we are talking about characters whose actions were specifically and carefully curated. We are talking about an author who actively and consciously chose to create a storyline that involved racism, prejudice, and slavery, just so she could consciously make her main character and his best friend make an active statement of support for the racism, prejudice, and slavery. In a children's book.

That's just... really freaking weird. I don't understand why this plot line needed to exist. I've written quite a few books, and never have I felt the need to create a scenario about racism, only to give my main character a chance to stand up and make it clear that she supports racism.

I just think this was a terrible plotline and I'm really glad they removed it when they made the films. It's extremely weird to me that JK decided to write that. I don't understand what she was trying to do with that storyline. I think some people maybe don't realize, if you have never written a book, how every single thing you write is really carefully chosen and important to the story. So it's very weird to me that this storyline exists, and it really makes me question what kind of message she was trying to portray.

Storylines don't just happen out of thin air. A person has to create them, and they usually do so for a reason. Which is what makes this all really strange to me.

SPQR likes this.
  20. Oh, I also wanted to touch on this.

Harry has lived in the human world his whole life and knows almost nothing of the wizarding world. So shouldn't he, of all people, be on Hermione's side in all this?

It actually made a bit of sense to me that Ron would feel the way he did, because he's grown up in the wizarding world and he's not a half-blood like Hermione, so he might have a bit of an ignorant or entitled perspective.

But Harry? Really? Of all the people in the world, Harry should be passionate about standing up for the fair treatment of others. And with all of human history to look at, he should have seen quite clearly how wrong and racist the treatment of the house elves was.

Which just makes it all the more weird that Harry, our most human character who we are supposed to see ourselves in and put ourselves in his shoes, is also pro-slavery.