1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last movie you watched v. 1

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 7, 2018.

1. TheLoneWolf88

TheLoneWolf88 Fapstronaut

Wrong Place 2/10

With a Bruce Willis movie, you'd think it would be enjoyable. It was far too boring

2. One Eyed Owl

One Eyed Owl Distinguished Fapstronaut

3. TheLoneWolf88

TheLoneWolf88 Fapstronaut

John Wick 9/10

Always a classic. I don't like that the following two sequels get more and more graphic, though

4. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Ouch. This one hurts. Top 15 favorite movies ever that happens to be about existentialism and aimlessness in life and probably the best one I've seen in those topics. Why didn't ya like it? I recommend watching it again. This is one of those movies ya gotta watch a couple of times, because i didn't like it either the first time I watched it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    One Eyed Owl likes this.
  5. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

"Rain Man" - Barry Levinson (7.5/10)
    There are a lot of classic movies I have yet to see, and this is one of those that has been on my "to watch" list for years. I finally saw it last week and was pleasantly surprised that it was really good! Cliche plot of two people not getting along who eventually do, but it's the acting and the way the characters bounce off of each other that makes this movie pretty damn enjoyable! Hilarious and emotionally driven. It's about a man who finds out he has a long lost brother who happens to be autistic. Great performances from both Cruise and Hoffman!

[​IMG]

"Skinamarink" - Kyle Edward Ball (7/10)
    One of the best horror movies I have seen in a loooong time that was both creative and a bit unnerving due to the atmosphere. It's about siblings who are in a nightmare, trying to see what happened to their parents, and at the same time, what is happening to them. Keep in mind however, that this is very heavily influenced by analogue horror that you see on YouTube and is quite unconventional in its story telling. So don't expect something like Scream, Halloween or Night of the Living Dead. Instead, its a visceral experience! Though admittedly, the shock wears off after the first time you watch it, and doesn't have a lot of rewatchability, and the story has nothing else going besides what it shows you and that's it. Still worth watching at least once!

[​IMG]

"The Whale" - Darren Aronofsky (7.8/10)
    Not gunna lie, I am not a big fan of Aronofsky. I despised Requiem for a Dream (I know, blasphemy) and found the movie to be very bombastic and melodramatic to the point where it is indistinctive from a lousy, shitty soap-opera. The constant theme-song playing whenever something bad happens is embarrassingly bad and hits you over the head of how bad addiction affects us all, as if the images and dialogue and the actions of the characters didn't already reveal that to you. Aronofsky treats his audience like they're children who have never read a book or seen a movie before. Requiem sucks balls.
    I prefer the infinitely better, more raw approach to addiction like Trainspotting from Danny Boyle. ((That was a great fucking movie! 10/10! A perfect balance of metaphors, symbolism and realism when it comes to addiction and the effects it does to people from all walks of life. How it decays and corrupts everything.))
    Haven't seen Black Swan yet, though I heard it's "heavily inspired" by Perfect Blue, which is why I am a little hesitant to watch it.
    I also saw Mother! from him which is derivative of Begotten, a genius, experimental, silent horror film from the 90's.
    Mother! was okay, but not great. Predictable and transparent as fuck to what it was alluding to. Won't spoil it, but it has to do with the "The Holy Book."

Now that that's out of the way, I thoroughly enjoyed The Whale. Aronofksy didn't treat his audience like idiots in this movie, and instead focused on the characters and their development. Though not perfect, he definitely is learning from his mistakes. I watched it twice in theatres, and was enthralled by Brendan Fraser's performance! Fucking amazing! It definitely made me tear up. It's about an extremely obese man who is a shut in who tries to connect with his daughter again after years of not seeing her. Very heartbreaking story. It has its faults, but I am definitely buying this movie on DVD. I highly recommend!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  6. One Eyed Owl

One Eyed Owl Distinguished Fapstronaut

It is just one of those movies that I just really care for it. I liked the idea of it but for me I didn't really care for the main character. Now I must say that I watched movies with similar main characters (Falling Down, King of Comedy, etc.). I had more investment in those characters then I did then Travis. I will definitely try to watch again.

Brain-Police likes this.
  7. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Ahh okay, King of Comedy is amazing, i am glad you brought that movie up. I like to think that Rupert is Travis' next stage of evolution in his life.
    Lemme know what you think the second time.

And Falling Down was a funny movie

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
    PR : 5/10
    Well, It's a classic movie but I didn’t like it as much. Maybe I was in a bad mood. The character of the hero and heroine was hard to grasp. This movie led me to some thoughts like...is true love always has to be forced?

9. Rebecca ( 1940)
    PR : 4/ 10
    Well, I didn’t like it either. Why a mystery movie has to be twisted like that?

10. Rain Man is one of my all time favorite movies. Dustin Hoffman was brilliant.

Brain-Police likes this.
  11. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Dustin Hoffman is a fantastic actor and he kills it in this movie!

Last Hope 000 likes this.
  12. The Guard (2011)
    PR: 8/10
    The movie was very good. Comedy and Thriller. The dialogues were very funny. I liked the finishing of the movie.

Vicit_fidem likes this.
  13. AbTheAb

AbTheAb Fapstronaut

Dune 2021
    1/10
    It's probably not that bad compared to the trash produced by Hollywood nowadays, but I don't watch Hollywood movies and it was the first one in a long time. Absolute waste of time, the story doesn't fit in a single movie. The only good thing about it was the shots shown in the trailer.

14. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

Jamaica Inn
    Hmmm 6.5

15. Troll (2022)

[​IMG]

6.5/10
    Norwegian

Predictable, mildly entertaining. It was fun to deconstruct it and tease out the themes. (myths, the unconscious, modernity/science)

16. Loved the dialogue in that one :emoji_laughing:
    A similar movie was In Bruges (2008), directed by the brother of the guy who directed The Guard. It also stars Brendan Gleeson (the cop in The Guard). He is hilarious and a great actor.

Last Hope 000 likes this.
  17. Oh, I didn’t know the movie was directed by his brother, I thought both movies are directed by the same person !!! Yes, both the movies are funny. Glesson is a great actor.

Vicit_fidem likes this.
  18. 28 Days Later ( 2002)
    PR : 8/ 10
    Probably the best zombie movie ever made. I liked how you get into the movie after the first scene. Directed by Danny Boyle, he makes the movie into a complete one. But, It's sequel wasn’t as good as this one, 28 weeks later.

Brain-Police likes this.
  19. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

The Reader
    7/10

When this first came out I refused to see it because of all the sex/nudity as well as the fact that the dialogue was in English rather than German. I changed my mind when it was recommended in an interview that I heard on the radio because of how it portrayed a Nazi trial. To be honest I fast-forwarded to the first half since I was more interested in the trial than the affair. It does a good job of portraying the complexity of seeing someone you were once emotionally evolved with on trial. It also shows how damaging it can be for a minor to have a sexual relationship with an adult. I think society tends to think it's bad for this to happen to a young girl but not a young boy. I will admit as a teenager hearing about a female teacher who slept with a male pupil and thought it wasn't a big deal. To be honest a part of me wished it would have happened to me since I found some of my female teachers attractive at school but the movie shows how damaging it can be.

20. Deep Water (2022)
    PR : 3.5 /10

This movie is not as bad as it looks. But the main logic behind this movie is nonsensical. Why should a person keep killing every lover of her wife? Also why the wife keep having relationship with strangers even when her husband keep killing the lovers?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2023