Read, in the name of your Lord.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FallingPetals, Oct 12, 2020.

1. FallingPetals

FallingPetals Fapstronaut

It's one thing to join different challenges and accountability threads to help yourself improve in whatever you want to improve in but it's a whole different level of accountability for me when I create my own thread. Gives me a greater sense of responsibility, my own personal space and freedom to do things my way.

Although the journey of self-improvement is life long, there is one thing in particular that I really want to work on and get better in before 2020 ends. And that is the habit of Reading.

I have been trying to develop a consistent habit of reading for years now. There was a time when I absolutely hated reading but then I read my very first book (some fictional novel) in eighth grade and fell in love with reading. Made me realise how much I had been missing out on. However, my taste in books has changed now. I read books that help me in becoming a better person and help me understand my religion better. I have bought so many books and keep buying more, yet I have only been able to finish reading one or two this year. In Shaa Allah I am able to finish at least 3 books by 31st December 2020.

I have just turned 23 and I really want to achieve some really solid reading goals within the 24th year of my life that has begun. It's the perfect time to start this new journey of self-improvement.

And as always, the goal isn't perfection, it's growth.

One Eyed Owl, ......., bdn94 and 5 others like this.
  2. FallingPetals

October Challenge
    Start: 19-10-20

Goals:
    1. 12 consecutive days of reading until October is over.
    2. Minimum one hour of reading per day.
    Strategy:
    • Check in here daily.
    • Try to read first thing in the morning.
    [I already kick-started my reading from September. Slowly trying to improve things now. Although my target is to read at least 2 pages of multiple books everyday and spend at least one hour on reading, I want to finish three books for sure by 31st. Dec while making some progress on the others as well.]

3. FallingPetals

Day 1 (19/10)
    missed
    (what a great beginning)

Day 2 (20/10)
    Reading Time: 1 hour
    didn't do it in the morning though but that's going to take time to adjust or maybe, I will just leave it to the evening. Dk for sure. Still working on improving my routine and finding out what hour is best for which thing.

4. FallingPetals

November Challenge

So, I am starting over. I completely failed October's challenge. It was a very busy month and after missing two days of reading, I gave up. Anyway, hope this month is better.

Start: 6-11-20

Goals:
    1. Minimum 40 minutes of reading per day. Keeping things easy doable for now.
    Strategy:
    • Check in here daily.

One Eyed Owl, ......., Musta and 2 others like this.
  5. Archangel01

Archangel01 Fapstronaut

Maybe you should do a page-minimum instead of a time minimum per day. And also don't buy too many books, put them on a list instead and buy one after another, otherwise it can appear too overwhelming to you if you see all the books in front of you to finish.

I have made a 3-step-reading process for myself.
    Generally I read every evening for an hour or two before I go to bed. I do this because I actually look forward to it, so that's no problem. But every now and then I come across a book I want to read but it's kinda boring.
    If that's the case I read every morning after breakfast 10 pages and then I'm done with it for the day.
    And if it is that dry and boring that I can't even do that it gets downgraded to the 3rd step. I put it in the bathroom and I read 2 pages everytime I do my business on the toilet.
    You have no idea how many books I have read with this system, even if they are just plain scientific books or if they are too complicated to understand for me at the moment to be able to enjoy them.

One Eyed Owl, ....... and Zeezee like this.
  6. FallingPetals

Day 1 (7/11)
    Not sure how much time I spent on reading but I did take a start at least
    Day 2 (8/11)
    40 minutes done.

One Eyed Owl and ....... like this.
  7. Viking83

Viking83 Fapstronaut

Here's a quote that helps me to stay motivated about reading and helps me to give priority to it:

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man that cannot read"

8. FallingPetals

Day 3 (9/11)
    missed
    Day 4 (10/11)
    40 min done :)

9. FallingPetals

10. FallingPetals

Day 6 (12/11)
    missed
    Day 7 (13/11)
    Done!

11. FallingPetals

12. FallingPetals

Day 9 (15/11) Day 10 (16/11)
    missed
    Day 11 (17/11)
    done :)
    I know I am still not as consistent as I want to be but I am pushing myself more than before so I am grateful for the little progress I am making. Alhamdulillah.

13. FallingPetals

Day 12 (18/11)
    missed
    Day 13 (19/11)
    done

14. FallingPetals

Day 14 (20/11)
    Missed
    Day 15 (21/11)
    done. Did more than usual.

15. FallingPetals

Legit forgot about this thread and haven't read anything in soooo many days. Things have been super busy lately but that is no excuse. If I couldn't do 40 minutes, I should have at least done 5 minutes. Let's start again.

December Challenge

So, I am starting over. I completely failed October's challenge. It was a very busy month and after missing two days of reading, I gave up. Anyway, hope this month is better.

Start: 5-12-20

Goal:
    1. Minimum 5minutes of reading per day.
    Strategy:
    • Check in here daily.

16. FallingPetals

Day 1 (5/12)
    done.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  17. FallingPetals

Once again, have done a pretty flop job with checking in on here.
    Check-in
    Day 2 (7/12)
    Day 3 (11/12)
    Day 4 (12/12)

....... likes this.
  18. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

Do it everyday on the same time. I myself read between one and 30 minutes every evening before i go to sleep. It doesnt even feel like a challenge when your book is next to you when ur getting to bed. I read because of this habbit more then 40 books so maybe it also works for you!

FallingPetals, Shanto2001 and ....... like this.
  19. FallingPetals

20. Shin Iu

Shin Iu Fapstronaut