1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a book that changed your life

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Thaala, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Thaala

Thaala Fapstronaut

Hi there, I'm looking for new books. Could you recommend a book that was responsible for a major turning point in your life?

2. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie.

Overdrive, Ippo, Ricardo ASDS and 5 others like this.
  3. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

The Bible for one and Matthew Henry's Commentary on it, The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts by Issai Chozanshi, Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi and probably a couple others too.

QuiggyG likes this.
  4. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Joe Dispenza.

5. Holy Bible! It sure has a lot of food for the soul and you can study it all your life. Thanks to this book I have many friends in Christ now and Im not lonely anymore and meet cool people every week. We meet, study the bible, talk about it and worship God. Sure it all started slowly but once I got committed to being regular in a church, I got invitations to many events and bible studies. From there it just snowballed and my life changed from lonely to a very social and spiritual, higher purpose life.

Ricardo ASDS, QuiggyG, drac16 and 2 others like this.
  6. DenThePan

DenThePan Fapstronaut

I have two very important books in my life and I don't know which one to recommend. So I'll write about both.

1. "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius.
    The book that was written by one of the most wise roman emperors. It's a compilation of aphoristic thoughts and his reflection. The point is that Marcus Aurelius was not only emperor but also a philosopher and this book is a monument of stoicism philosophy. Impartiality, beneficence, acceptance of fate -- these are the main virtues that this book brings up in a person. This book put many things in their place in my head and also helped me to develop calmness and clarity of the mind.

2. New Testament
    Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking -- "Hello, do you have a time to speak about God?"

But try to get rid of prejudice for a second.
    I was a typical young russian guy from capital city: booze, parties, memes, drugs, destructive lifestyle and neglect of religion. I can write the whole essay about how people associate orthodox christianity with obscurantism but that's not the point. I was quite satisfied with my life. However I had many problems with physical health, neurosis, the feeling of despair and depressive states. These things are so common among my peers that memes about them became a part of mass culture.
    One day I decided to start get my shit together and started learning about self-improving.
    Idk how but during that period I got interested about "christian stuff" and "their concepts". I started to browse orthodox web pages, learn and then decided to read The Bible with interpretations and explanations by russian saints.
    And I was shocked: it's a great philosophical and ethical doctrine that helps you develop and maintain inner peace, clarity and healthy lifestyle.
    After this book I stared having a healthy lifestyle, going to the gym, got rid of many psychological conflicts and got much more peaceful life. I still go to parties and have fun with my friends but now I do it in moderation so that I avoid all shameful situations and morning misery. I stopped blaming others and became more compassionate and mindful.

Ricardo ASDS, QuiggyG, drac16 and 3 others like this.
  7. Good story but you are still eating from two tables. Bible is from God and meditation is the way to invite deamons inside of you. Also party is a thing that puts you in a situation with one leg in the world. Satanists use to go to nightclubs and bars to find Christians to pull that other leg into the world. So be careful when someone starts to quote the bible and try to shatter your faith or making doubt God. Because there are not just Christians out there but those who work for the dark side of the spiritual kingdom.

Thaala likes this.
  8. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    :D

Jesus meditated.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Thaala likes this.
  9. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

Whatever works man.

10. Fraud

Fraud Fapstronaut

'The Secret' by Rhonda Byrne

Its based on the law of attraction, My whole life changed just by thinking differently

Deleted Account, Thaala and Priceless like this.
  11. Priceless

Priceless Fapstronaut

The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi

Thaala likes this.
  12. blunt.ever

blunt.ever Fapstronaut

Hmm... It sounds interesting.

13. Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl.
    It's a classic, but I'd only really read the prison camp experience sections. The rest is not written for the general public (a bit too academic for me). If he can survive the worst possible experiences people can be given, surely we can improve ourselves.

Overdrive and WinTheDayPS7326 like this.
  14. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

'The Pilgrim's Progress' by John Bunyan. The only thing I would criticize is that the language is very out of date (it was written in the 1600s, so Bunyan was merely using the english that was common in his day). It's a story of a guy named Christian and his walk to the Kingdom of Heaven. It's an allegory of what every christian will go through in this life. I can't recommend it enough! :D

WinTheDayPS7326 likes this.
  15. WinTheDayPS7326

WinTheDayPS7326 Fapstronaut

A Million Miles In A Thousand Years by Donald Miller

This is an amazing book on what it means to live a better life story. I've read it a few times now and intend on reading it once every year.

16. QuiggyG

QuiggyG Fapstronaut

Degenerate Moderns By E Michael Jones

A anti-P/anti counter cultural book. This one is not for the faint of heart but those who know the dangers of P and mass sexualisation of modern culture. It made me realise how normalised this stuff is and how we need to stop promoting it. It also reveals the underlying issue of modern sexual culture and how it also contradicts other things that society opposes.

The Bible

I know it’s already mentioned, but one can find true happiness (even temporal) by reading the New Testament. You don’t have to be Christian to read the Bible but I found true solace through reading what Jesus had to say. It helped me in times of need.

Thaala and WinTheDayPS7326 like this.
  17. KellticJK

KellticJK Fapstronaut

18. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Go The F*ck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach.

Gorgewalker likes this.
  19. Yujirō Hanma

Yujirō Hanma Fapstronaut

I haven"t read it already, but a lot of people says 'Not Nice' by Dr. Aziz Gazipura

20. There's two that I recommend to anyone I can.

The first is See You At The Top by Zig Ziglar. It's a fantastic book that really put a lot of things in perspective for me and helped me with self-improvement. Highly recommend checking it out.

The second is Positively Unstoppable: The Art of Owning It by Diamond Dallas Page. I've always looked up to and respected DDP. He's a guy that never took no for an answer and made his dreams come true. I'm also a big supporter of his DDPY program (look up Arthur Boorman's story on YouTube). The book does promote DDPY, but it's an overall inspiring book. You don't have to buy the program at all if you don't want to. The book tells Dallas' story, shares a few success stories, and gives amazing advice on how to own your life and get back on track. It shows how the impossible can become the possible.