1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Refurbished an original Xbox today

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Origin32, May 14, 2019.

1. Origin32

Origin32 Fapstronaut

I have been watching endless YouTube videos of people refurbishing old gaming consoles lately, and have been obsessing about fixing an original Xbox. Today I woke up, and mapped out all the local thrift stores in my area to search for old gaming systems.

First place I traveled was the city, and low and behold, the first thrift store I enter had an original Xbox right when I walked into the electronics section. The crazy thing is I didn't see it my first lap around, and there was a ton of people thrifting through everything. The second lap around I saw it to my left, and was so ecstatic.

It looked pretty beat up when I examined it, but I didn't care. I really wanted the challenge of fixing it if there was some malfunction upon powering it up. After purchasing it I had to go to Walmart to pick up the screwdrivers necessary to take it apart, as well as some compressed air.

When I got home, and plugged it in, it did power up and read disks, but was emitting a loud noise from inside. So, I took everything apart, cleaned the scuffed up case, blew out all the dust, and examined everything, from the drives to the motherboard and power supply. Everything looked good underneath, which concerned me, because I couldn't identify where the noise was coming from.

When I put everything back together though it went away. The only thing I wish I would have done was cleaned off the GPU and CPU, but I didn't have any heat sink compound, and Walmart didn't have any when I was there.

All in all I am happy with the results though. I need to buy a new desktop, so I can upload the files on a flash drive to mod it. Some of the videos I watched showed some really cool emulators - one guy had every single original Xbox game created saved on his HHD, but he has to swap the original one out with a new one that could store more memory.

I already have the games I want though, so I just chilled, and played GTA3 all day.

2. You can get some really good deals even on modern consoles as well, because folks don't bother to look inside and would rather spend more money on a brand new one. Mostly the problems are super easy to fix and don't require much effort or dosh. I quite enjoy fixing up stuff and seeing it work again!

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  3. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Cool post.

Which thrift store was it? Inquiring minds would like to know.