1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion VS. true Christianity

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

1. My salvation’s fine, so long as I continue working on it. What is worrisome is not doing any work and expecting to be saved. Which is... what is it again? Oh yeah, slothfulness, one of the 7 Deadly Sins. Building your faith requires work, and it’s not something that can be accomplished overnight, as stated in the parable of the 10 virgins.

2. Yes, that sounds correct to me, so perhaps we did.

3/4: I still believe in free agency and foreordination, but alas, it’s true that this isn’t knowledge required to be saved.

2. Yes it is in theory, which is why it is given to us by the holy spirit making all christian things completely rooted in grace 1000%, so we can't boast. Our faith is not our own but Christ's.

3. Well, I think we're on the edge of having an endurance contest. I'm gonna cool off now.
    ps. I'm sure your not a dummy, I like my debates spicy.

MLMVSS likes this.
  4. ImASinnerWhoJesusSaved

ImASinnerWhoJesusSaved Fapstronaut

Whether or not you believe Scripture is flawed does not change the fact that it is not flawed.

Show some proof that Caesar got to decide what went in the Bible. You won't find any because he didn't. Constantine did not ratify any books of the Bible that I am aware of, nor did any earlier Emperor.

Bring evidence to support your claim that "Most scholars agree that the first 4 gospels were not written by their namesakes."

What supports your claim that the lifespan of the time was too short for the gospel writers to have been alive? Even if an average lifespan is 50, it doesn't rule out the possibility that someone can live to be 90. In our time I have heard of people dying in their 20s, but also in their 100s. You may want to rethink that argument.

Yes, in Matthew 6 Jesus says to, "Not worry about tomorrow." But if you read on a few sentences you will see that Jesus is speaking about unnecessary anxiety that people still struggle with like, "O my, what will I wear today?" Jesus isn't saying, "Yeahhhh just be chill and don't plan ahead at all." To suggest that this is the case is contrary to what the text clearly says.

I'm arguing this because your post seemed to be riddled with holes. If you want to believe something about the Bible, you are free to do so. But you must either (A) have stronger arguments, or (B) acknowledge that you simply hold your opinion because you cannot stand the thought of the entire Bible being perfect.

5. ImASinnerWhoJesusSaved

God says that we are dead in sins and trespasses. How can one who is dead, come alive, do some good works, and then say "God I've done some good works, give me some grace now."

GRACE is defined by Webster's dictionary as "free and unmerited favor." To suggest that one must do good works to receive grace to ignore the very definition of the word. In essence, it's not grace if you have to work for it.

Now I understand your point. You can't just say, "Thank you Jesus for your grace!! Now I'm going to go fap all the time and maybe steal and murder too! He'll forgive me."

However, you mustn't throw the baby out with the bath water. We should not sin that grace may abound, but this does not change the fact that grace DOES abound. Otherwise how could the thief on the cross have been saved? He had no chance to do good deeds before he died. Yet Jesus said, "Assuredly I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise." He DID NOT say, "I'll cut you down from here, you can do some good things, and then I'll bring you to paradise."

Faith without works is dead, but grace is a gift, not earned in any way. If we are spiritually dead before being saved, we must be made spiritually alive. This is grace. We are made alive through the grace of God, and then, and ONLY then, are we enabled to do anything good.

6. ImASinnerWhoJesusSaved

Hebrews 11 (and the whole book) is a sermon to those who are already saved. Thus, the faith discourse (By faith...) that is being spoken of throughout 11 is to be an encouragement to those who have already been saved. It is an encouragement to continue on, not an argument saying, "do some works."

7. ImASinnerWhoJesusSaved

Salvation is not a process. Sanctification is process.

8. So everyone is clear upfront I am Catholic and this explains very clearly what is being argued. I dont expect to change anyones mind but it would be nice if anyone who disagrees at least understands the theological positions. Denomination is very important because it convays your interpretation. Even if you disagree with every denomination it only means you are a denomination of one not that you are non-denominational.
    https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/justification

9. CyV

CyV Fapstronaut

Like dude you are trying to convert us. I get it that you value Christianity. It is cool to see people standing up for and talking to others about their life philosophies.

True religion is selfless love.

MLMVSS likes this.
  10. Still I try to be objective so I tried to show some of the rebuttals to these arguments to so you can decide for yourself, I listen to both sides of any argument.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2018
  11. Calling people dumb, laughing at them and then quoting scripture.
    Oh, how loving of you!

12. If he is he's breaking the rules of this forum.

13. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

That's very sad to see how people get deceived. Or maybe you wanted to say "sanctified" instead of "saved" ? Because sanctification indeed requires works such as abstinence from fornication, but sanctification is NOT salvation, it's the growing fruit of salvation.
    "Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." -Ephesians 2

14. EXPONENTIALLY

I am NOT trying to convert you. But if anything, it's the grace of God !

15. I have to disagree, religion is just part of the game of power. Not based on truth, love, nor compassion. Rather a desire to control people. Forcing people what to think, the 3 Abrahamic religions command through the Torah to stone unbelievers & the Qu'ran takes it a step farther saying cut off their throats & fingers. The New T is a little more forgiving saying love your enemies. At the end of the day though religious institutions exist for the purpose of enslaving the sheep of the world. No pun intended. Spirituality is something a little more real (in an abstract since.), it doesn't stem from a desire of control but genuine love & appreciation of the universe.

16. EXPONENTIALLY

You have the same attitude (jumping into others' sins to feel superior) as the Pharasees who rejected and killed Jesus. 'Check yourself before you wreck yourself'.

17. As the old jewish rabbi meme goes, one man says the apple is green, the other says it's red. The Rabbi says the first man is correct, & so is the second.

You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." James 2:24

18. Have ye forgotten, love thy enemies, it's a blessing to be persecuted. Stop whinning about disagreement, let's be gentlemen here :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. EXPONENTIALLY

Greetings from James

"James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting." -James 1:1

Unless you're a real Jew (by lineage from your mother) who can affirm from which tribe he is, the book of James is NOT adressed to you. But you can get inspired from it in a spiritual sense off course.

20. Eh with all this confusion in the bible I just wish sometimes I could stop dealing with this headache, if that's true then why would he put that requirement on only the jews, & can't one be a jew inwardly by accepting the divine within them, doesn't that make us one of God's chosen?

Deleted Account likes this.