1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rewards.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anew2019, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Anew2019

Anew2019 Fapstronaut

Had a bit of a revalation this morning. I am beginning to understand how the brain works. How addiction hijacks the reward system. I saw how our reward system works. I think this may benefit me and possibly others so I wanted to share.

I started driving for Uber some time back. Been doing it for a few months off and on now. I love it. It works so well for our reward system. It really reminds me of video games. Grinding for gold for equipment. Each battle(Uber trip) one is given a small reward. A small amount of gold(money). A small reward for the work done. It feels nice. After bunch of battles(Uber trip) one reaches their bigger goal. A sweet sword(Making the amount you wanted to make for that day to pay bills, save and buy stuff). This is all very "rewarding". Lol I now understand why that term is used.

I was working a job a week or two ago where we were cleaning sludge out of the bottom of a sludge pond in an industrial site. Gross job, but I saw this same thing. It felt so good finishing a section.

It takes more effort than video games to get my money from Uber or other jobs and is more rewarding. So life really is a game.

I was looking over at filthy bathroom counter when having a bath. I thought to myself. It would be a "rewarding" experience to clean that off. I have not done that yet. I wanted to come and write this. It will be. It will feel great to get that small task done. Do some of those small tasks every day. My brain will reward me for it.

I can apply this to everything I want to get done. Writing music. Set small goals on the amount of lines of words or bars of melodies and just finish those. Just one line can be a rewarding experience. Cleaning up after myself. Exercising. Set small goals of amounts of steps. Watch my step counter on my phone when walking and see experience the reward of finishing 100, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10,000 steps. Pray a decade of the rosary. Fix my place up to sell. Finish things.

I quit social media over a month ago. It was the same thing. Say something or share a meme and get rewarded with that little notification dot with likes or comments.

I see how PMO has highjacked my reward system. That feeling of when you find the body you were searching for. That clicking of buttons for small rewards of beautiful bodies to stare at and edge. The ultimate goal of orgasm at the end. It is an effortless pursuit with a high payout of pleasure.

I can get that little buzz of accomplishment I get from video games, PMO and social media from real life things. finishing the line of and whole song. Clean my bathroom. Fix the hole in my wall. Crush some weights, walk. Go out and Uber, practice my singing. Go out and accomplish things that are good for the community and myself. I think that may be the path to a meaningful life. Life is my new video game, social media, and PMO.

i89rt5 and b-v-o-y like this.