1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Sabbath

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

Why do Christians celebrate Sunday as the sabbath when Saturday is the actual 7th day of the week? I’ve always wondered about this but then yesterday I watched a documentary saying it was the Catholic Church that changed the day and the verse about the beast seeking to change times is referring to this.
    “He shall speak words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High, and shall think to change the times and the law; and they shall be given into his hand for a time, times, and half a time.”
    ‭‭Daniel 7:25
    Are we being tricked by Satan to choose another sabbath? Do we have the right to move the Lords Day?

2. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Wait, what?

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

hmmm interesting, I knew about saturday actually being the 7th day, but didn't connect it with that verse. I'm not quite sure if this is connected, but it definitelly is a interesting thought. As for if we have a right to move the Lord's day. I think everyone will have different ideas about this, but to me I think it would be okay, but it wouldn't be ideal. Because I think sabbath was supposed to be a day where you would rest from all the work and routines you have in your daily life, and come together to praise God. So monday to friday would be impossible since almost everyone will be working, and although saturday would technically be possible it would be take a lot of efford to let all churches change that day.

4. What is the Sabbath rest mentioned in Hebrews 4? Is it a certain day of the week? Really?

What is the message of Colossians 2:16-23? Are we under any sort of law in Christ or are we free?

Well, what does Galatians 5:1 say?

I am a disciple and friend of the one who declared himself the "Lord of the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27-28) I will continue to follow him rather than rules made and argued about by men.

5. Kyrie eleison!

Kyrie eleison! Fapstronaut

We don't follow the Sabbath, because then we would have to keep the whole law of Moses (like in Gal. 5:3). The early Christians (long before the existence of the Roman Catholic church) started gathering on the first day of the week (=Sunday) because it is the day when Christ was raised from the dead (see Acts 20:6-7, 1 Cor. 16:2)

Please also read Romans 14, which is a very important passage concerning this topic. Don't just follow some guy on youtube but get to know the actual New Testament passages which talk about this topic. Watching some youtube video is of course much easier and effortless, but we need to make sure that we are fed by the Scriptures itself and get to know the Biblical big picture instead of just picking some verses out of context and build our whole theology around them because some guy on the internet told us to. ;)

iLoveRain, G0ReadAB00k and Tao Jones like this.
  6. Amen and amen!

And don't just do something based on comments here, either. Run everything by the Spirit and the Scripture, and then do as he instructs. Trust and obey! (I hear there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, unless you do!) :)

G0ReadAB00k and Kyrie eleison! like this.
  7. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

So I’ve always thought the law was not really applicable to us now in the New Testament as well. I know we’re not saved by the law, but what do we do with the sermon on the mount where Jesus said,
    “Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”
    ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:19‬ ‭ESV‬‬
    https://www.bible.com/59/mat.5.19.esv

8. v19 only makes sense in light of v17. You cannot pick verses here and there and have understanding. You must read entire sections and see the plain sense of them.

Who is it that must fulfill the law? Us? We cannot. Who then? v17 has the answer.

And if the law has been fulfilled, then we are no longer subject to it. Its power over us has been broken. See Romans 3:20. (And, really, Romans 1-8 is something to re-read regularly until it is fully worked into the core of your being.) See Galatians, too. The entire letter is worth reading, but chapters 3-5 make the point decisively, imo.

So, we don't denigrate the law and advise people to break it willingly. We teach as Christ revealed to the Apostles through his Spirit, that the law shows us our need for a Savior who can fulfill it on our behalf. And we celebrate and proclaim the great Truth of Christ -- he is himself our Deliverer!

WindWolf likes this.
  9. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

Yea I get it. Christ fulfilled the law and believe me I read all those verses you mentioned before I posted this. My question is do we just ignore the law then and knowingly live opposed to it? Obviously the law is there for our good. God wouldn’t tell us to do something that isn’t good for us. So while I’ve already fallen short of the law with my fapping, I don’t just give up and say Jesus fulfilled the law so I can fap all I want. I accept His forgiveness and then follow His teaching that lust is sin and because of His love for me, I try to bring my body under subjection so I don’t continually return to my vomit like a dog - pulling me away from my relationship with Him. So does the same principle apply to the Sabbath? I mean do we attempt to follow the teaching on honoring Him on the 7th day?

10. Re-read our comments above. I think it is clear we are not suggesting this course of action.

Can you point me to the teaching you refer to? I don't recall a specific instruction to honor Jesus every seventh day.

In fact, I think such an idea misses the point. We are living branches connected to the Living Vine. We can do nothing apart from him. If we are only thinking of him and worshiping him once out of every seven days, our lives are poor indeed! Rather, we are to meditate on God's Word (Jesus himself!) throughout the day, all day, every day.

If we have given him our all each and every day throughout the week, what additional honor is there which has been reserved for a special weekly event? The command we have is "to honor the Sabbath and keep it holy." Scripture makes it clear that our Sabbath as disciples is none other than Jesus himself. Honoring him is an everyday affair. God is pleased with anything we give back to him, but he is not satisfied until we give ourselves to him completely and without reservation.

It seems to me you want to "do things right," but the Kingdom is not a matter of keeping rules. That way has already been tried and found wanting. Rather, the Kingdom is much more about *who* we know than *what* we know. :)

11. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

Can you point me to the teaching you refer to? I don't recall a specific instruction to honor Jesus every seventh day.
    Genesis 2:1-3 and then we have the account of God speaking to Moses:

“And the Lord said to Moses, "You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, 'Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you. You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever.”
    ‭‭Exodus‬ ‭31:12-16‬ ‭ESV‬‬
    sounds pretty serious to me. Also I know I can’t earn my salvation. I’m not trying too, but I do want to honor God and if anything my PMO addiction has shown me that His ways are far superior to mine i.e - nofap benefits have been very real for me. I didn’t believe fapping would hurt me at first. If I would have listened to Him right away I could have saved myself from a lot of pain.
    So I want to know His ways and do them so i don’t have to learn the hard way so often. He gave the laws to the children of Israel when leading them from captivity to freedom. They didn’t know how to live in freedom because they had been in slavery all their lives. The laws showed them how to live in freedom. Same applies for me. I’ve spent most of my life in Slavery to sin. The law will not save me. Only Jesus blood can do that, but He teaches us to live in freedom. The sermon on the mount shows He came not to do away with the law.

Kemar935 and Tao Jones like this.
  12. Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius Fapstronaut

Just throwing this out there, but Jesus Christ was resurrected on a Sunday. I'm pretty sure that's the reasoning behind shifting the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

iLoveRain and Kyrie eleison! like this.
  13. Right. He came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it. Now that it has been fulfilled, we are no longer subject to it. Go re-read the first bit of Romans 7. It's very clear.

Taking a break from labor every seven days is the way God designed us, so it's an excellent idea to follow that rhythm in life. This is not a religious obligation or a spiritual duty -- it's just common sense. But it doesn't really matter which day you choose. We have a modern concept of weekends off work, so choosing one of those weekend days makes good sense. But if you have to work on the weekends and choose to rest from your labor on a Tuesday, that's okay, too. God is not keeping score. Jesus has already taken the test for us and passed it with flying colors. We can rest easy in his completed work.

The Spirit will guide you far better than I ever could. You know the Scripture. When I read all that I have presented above, I am convinced that I do not need to worry about fulfilling Mosaic ceremonial law in order to have right standing with God. And I see where much of it was applied to specific culture in a specific time and place. I am free from all that, and I will not go back into it (Galatians 5:1).

If, after all this discussion, you are still looking for specific advice on which day is the Sabbath day for us today, I believe you are barking up the wrong tree. But you will have to follow the dictates of your own conscience in the matter. (See Romans 14.) Nothing I can say will convince you otherwise, nor should it! Let the Spirit be your guide. I wish you the best as a brother in Christ, pray that you will see how he has illuminated the path ahead for you, and cheer you on toward a new and better kind of life in him!

Onward!

Stragler and Kemar935 like this.
  14. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

I have to agree with Tao here

“And the Lord said to Moses, "You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, 'Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you. You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever.”

I mean, I think what the verse is trying to imply that it's very very crucial and important to keep the sabbath every week, but what day of the week wouldn't really matter.

''Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord.''

Especially this verse might be interperted as that we need to rest on the 7th day, and since the 7th day is saturday it we should have sabbath then. But I personally see it as that it says ''no matter when the sabbath is, you will not work beyond 6 days a week.'' So for example if Tuesday is gonna be the day you will have sabbath then from wednesday to monday you've spend working, but the 7th day ''tuesday'' you will have to rest and have a sabbath.

And so I come back to my initial point that even though it doesn't really matter to much which day it is, sunday probably still would be the more convenient day.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, in these kind of conversations I still have difficulties expressing myself in english haha

Stragler likes this.
  15. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

I just wish we had the sabbath on the actual day that it originated since creation. Could potentially be a stumbling block to some especially Jews who may have a hard time with this part of Christianity. Anyway thanks for the response on this conversation.

Kemar935 and Tao Jones like this.