1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Science is Everything..

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Harsh, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Harsh

Harsh Fapstronaut

Hi, Friends

This is complete off-topic thing to this forum.

Straight question : "Who believes ,Science is everything ? " Or "Behind everything there is a Science"

I believe in that.

I have been thinking lately that everything happen for a cause. Or at least can find a proper cause of event after it happens, a logical one.

So want to say that I don't believe in magic and magical stuff. That includes anything like supernatural. And believe me, from which country i come ,it is hard to stay on this type of mentality.

At the teenage time when i get scared by some ghost stories or something like that, I found a solution at that time.
    "The only thing exist in which you believe. So i stopped believing the existence of ghosts."

(I am sorry if you find this things go out of track..)

Then i started to question...really "what need of these ghost on this planet".
    "To just disturb living souls!!" "No ..No way.."
    "What language they may speak"
    "Can they read my mails or SMSs" (Funny though..:p )

So..I couldn't find a single logical answer, Scientific answer. (Give me a laptop and Internet connection...i can spend a night at the most haunted mention . :D) )

& hack...
    "why God would let stay something like that useless thing on earth.."
    "Why would God make someone make more powerful then other person!"

Yeah..I believe in God..:D..from heart...but not the traditional God.
    Keeping these aside..

Science is trying to find every answer to every question that ever been asked. I believe in evolution theory of life & big bang theory for birth of Universe. Now scientist are finding that Human mind is much more complex than any other thing.
    But one day, they will solve its complexity and give proper logical explanation to everything.

Thanks for reading...Would like to hear your views. :)

2. Mark

Mark Distinguished Fapstronaut

3. Harsh

Harsh Fapstronaut

Hey Mark
    I couldn't understand the exact point of that article. & that can be author's personal view, which i found somewhat biased.

I would be delighted to know what you think.

4. Pootis

Pootis Fapstronaut

I don't think we'll ever discover everything from science in time before the era of the heat death of the universe. The observable universe is just too huge and there's possibly the non-observable parts of the universe where their starlight haven't reach Earth yet. But I don't know what I'm saying :confused: because I study history not science as much.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. Mark

Hi sorry I was rushing about and it was probably a little rude of me to just stick the article up and leave it at that:eek: I guess for me science absolutely has its place but I've always felt that much 'mainstream' science (the stuff taught in schools government funded/approved) and 'organised' religion are both flip sides of a fake coin that has been pedalled for centuries to keep the masses in subservience to a system that serves the few at the massive expense of the many.

But much as I often feel 'cheated' by mainstream science there are some great researchers like Bruce Lipton and Greg Braden and the classic 'Tao of Physics' by Fritjof Kapra, which do indeed, to back up your idea that theres a science behind everything, provide scientific 'answers' and back up to ancient 'spiritual' wisdom etc.

I also love to see science (left brain) balanced with the abstract (right brain) because we have to join the dots and enable us to perceive the fuller picture (holistic=balanced=healthy)

I remember my Aikido teacher saying 'The mind leads the body, the body influences the mind', and I guess it's all relative? For example, what causes a withdrawal? Is it physical or mental? I guess it starts in the abstract (a thought) which then manifests itself in the physical, which in turn influences thought and so the craving (cycle)has begun? Or does it start as a physical (chemical?) reaction because a certain substance or physical act is being denied which then triggers a thought??

Chicken? Egg?

During an Aikido lesson many years ago I remember the teacher demonstrating something called unbendable arm which consists of projecting thought/energy through the arm rendering it 'unbendable' when somebody slowly tried to bend it. This had NOTHING to do with competition or the usual 'get me look how tough I am' nonsense that all too often passes as 'strength' but was simply a demonstration of a different kind of 'strength' On this particular occasion it was being shown for the first time to a physics teacher at a local secondary school. And it was working. He wasn't using any physical strength whatsoever and yet nobody could bend his arm. He had never experienced anything quite like it before- and he was amazed!

But after a short while he started to get agitated and a 'troubled' look betrayed his inner dilemma. "Is there any instrument that can measure and verify this so it can be scientifically proven to work" he somewhat nervously enquired. "Can you feel it", asked the teacher, "yes I can", came the reply, "then do you not already have all the proof you need?"

We never saw him again!!??

And on the subject of addiction did nobody ever quit an addiction BEFORE we knew the science?!?! Yes it certainly helps and I love the work Kathleen DesMaisons has done on the biochemistry of sugar sensitivity and the knowledge of the role of dopamine in addiction etc.

I'm just not sure science is everything because science generates as many (if not more) questions as it does answers and I guess thats the essence of the article, that (mainstream) science has become the 'religion' for those too 'smart' to follow 'old time' religion.

But theres 'science and theres 'science' just like theres 'spirituality' and 'religion' and I guess the skill is navigating between the two and discerning the truth the best we can especially in an age of corporate/institutionalised self serving mis-information which is absolutely worse now than it's ever been.

Just thoughts (and I went on much more than I intended to then!):eek:

6. Pootis

Pootis Fapstronaut

Woahh, I really love your post Mark. It makes so much sense now

7. No Name

No Name Fapstronaut

I'm studying engineering and I can tell you that science is pretty sound. However, it is possible that all of our physical laws could morph over time or even instantaneously based on causes imperceptible to humans. Science is great, but it is not everything, which is why I believe the need for the existence of God.
    Mark I like what you said, I sometimes get this feeling too amidst my studies:
    I guess for me science absolutely has its place but I've always felt that much 'mainstream' science (the stuff taught in schools government funded/approved) and 'organised' religion are both flip sides of a fake coin that has been pedalled for centuries to keep the masses in subservience to a system that serves the few at the massive expense of the many.

I think there is a lot of corporate brainwashing to morph us into obedient slaves to fill company positions. I try to be creative in my regular life, playing electric guitar, etc. to build a resistance to this, but it gets to me more than I'd like to admit. There are many genius ways of doing things, and what I've notice are simple ideas tend to be the best ones. I currently have a plan for mass power generation worldwide that will be cheap and affordable with relatively minimal environmental damage. As of now I do not possess the funding to test a full scale model, but I'm planning on starting up this company as soon as I can.

8. No Name

No Name Fapstronaut

And just thought I should mention this thought struck me while in class on about 12 days of Nofap, when my brain was seething with energy, if that is a good advertisement of what nofap can do.

9. William

William Fapstronaut

I believe that humans are greater than the sum of our parts. That said, I believe our parts can be summed up. Some things about us are mystery, some are science. The problem we face here is pure science.

Peace.

10. Harsh

Harsh Fapstronaut

Mark, that was written brilliantly... & got exactly what that article meant..
    "No Name" best of luck for your start up...You will perform well.

You are correct. Science does generate more questions than it answers. But i think there is nothing wrong in that, rather than just to believe in religion blindly. We, humans seek explanation for everything, a logical one.

For example:
    Your internet goes down. So first probable logic you will use that there must be some fault in cable or at ISP's place. Not just start to guessing that "Ohh... I see...God doesn't want me to use internet connection."

I know our holy books and religions have many answers. But do we find it logical ?

No, So that is why science comes.

Thanks again (Actually there are lots of things going in mind regarding this.. )

11. Mark

Cheers and yes thats why I always encourage left and right brain (holistic) approaches which is how we are meant to think but unfortunately media/education (indoctrination/domestication) does everything it can to 'lock' us into left brain mode as much as possible which has its part in balance with the other side but which cuts us off when used predominantly alone (just as purely right brain people would be 'away with the faries') and of course the institutions that do all they can to keep us locked in the left brain purely five sense 'prison' do all they can to enforce that because 'balanced' people pose a serious threat to the status quo but increasing numbers are 'waking up' and these are interesting times for sure:)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014