1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Scripture Inspiration - NF Journey - Matthew 5:27-30

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Hi all,

After asking, some of the members on this forum said it would be a good idea to post about some passages of the Bible to interpret for concepts of NF and our struggle. This is somewhat of a personal study for me, but I will make it public to inspire and foster discussion. My only real aim here is to help, I will make posts accordingly, please let me know if this format is okay or if something else would be better!

NF in general is one aspect of what is incorrect in our lives. Scripture deals with what is correct, I believe anything can be applied to our selves to help us be better, be more who we truly are.

The first I would like to post about is from Matthew 5:27-30, here is the passages:

27 - “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
    28 - But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
    29 - If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna.
    30 - And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna.

27 - Reference to Exodus Chapter 20, 14 as one of the ten commandments. A special part of what the New Testament can be understood as is channel from the Old Testament and its application in our lives. This does not invalidate nor say that it is a different teaching, but an additional way of understanding, perhaps more illuminated for our benefit.

28 - Understanding emotions and feelings and how they are linked to thought and behavior is essentially for true understanding and correct action. Here, when one looks at a woman with lust, one has made the decision to have lust, one has made the decision to look. Our heart has changed in intent which works like corrupting us, even if our actions remain pure. Many might say this is 'natural' and if it was, here we are learning that what is ‘natural’ might not always be what is right, because man has choices and agency and can move beyond being a beast. When we are studying the word of God and following him, we are not concerned to live among the animals, but to learn redemption and truth. The nature of man is fallen, so now we must learn and be more, a fundamental part of the Bible, man is fallen, but Christ has shown us the path to redemption and we have great tradition and communities for that.

29 - Of course, all of us might be more handicapped without an eye, or body part. But let us start with an easier analogy to understand this passage. When we do NF, sometimes we have P blockers, we change phones, we create new routines. If our phones and lifestyle “causes” us to sin, we throw it away. We must be able to perceive what is right and wrong in our lives and make the conscious decision to be with the good, not evil. If we're always inundated with what is negative, it will be far harder to understand what is wrong. Though we are always capable of making decisions even in the face of evil, they don’t specifically cause us to sin even if they may tempt us, we choose to sin. Which is why the conscious choice to have blockers or change your lifestyle is also making an active choice in avoiding sin. If our perception is flawed, it will become very difficult to know what is right or wrong to know what to do. The eye is our perception and our way of seeing the world, if our way of perception and understanding is corrupt, there is no point to it. By seeing the world for what it is and where evil may be, we can follow the correct path. But if not, perhaps it is better to be blind than condemn oneself.

30 - Again, the right hand, our way of action and our ability to enact in the world, our right hand symbolizes what we put out into the world. If our actions are evil, it may be better to be rid of it and the ways we enable ourselves before casting ourselves down. The conclusion here is that it is always better to make the active choices to change your life away from sin, because in the end, you will condemn yourself if you don’t, even if you're throwing something you find essential away. The right hand of God is a sacred and honorable place, Christ was asked to sit at the right hand of God, who or what do you invite to sit at yours?

boilerball123 likes this.