1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Shakespeare on Lust - Sonnet 129

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Good day to you all. Today I read, and not for the first time, Sonnet 129 by William Shakespeare. I thought I would re-post it for you all to enjoy. To be truthful, few inadvertently summed up PMO more aptly than this playwright. Enjoy.

Sonnet 129

The expense of spirit in a waste of shame
    Is lust in action; and till action, lust
    Is perjured, murderous, bloody, full of blame,
    Savage, extreme, rude, cruel, not to trust,
    Enjoy'd no sooner but despised straight;
    Past reason hunted, and, no sooner had,
    Past reason hated, as a swallowed bait,
    On purpose laid to make the taker mad -
    Mad in pursuit, and in possession so;
    Had, having, and in quest to have, extreme;
    A bliss in proof, and prov'd, a very woe;
    Before, a joy proposed; behind, a dream.
    All this the world well knows; yet none knows well
    To shun the heaven that leads men to this hell.

William Shakespeare

goodnice 3.0 likes this.
  2. Beetenen

Beetenen New Fapstronaut

one of Shakespeare's favorite sonnets. still like sonnet 88. To me, Shakespeare's figure is legendary. His writing style, linguistic skills and the meaning he puts into his works are incredible. I recently read some sample essays at https://studydriver.com/william-shakespeare/. And I was struck by some of the pitfalls in his Othello work that I had never noticed. In the play Othello, written by William Shakespeare, it’s evident how one can manipulate a person to fulfill their own personal agenda. In this play, Othello’s trusted advisor Iago fools him in to murdering his beloved desdemona. He achieves this by lying to him constantly eventually tricking him. What do you think about it?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020