1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

She's too old for me, isn't she?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Jungler, May 16, 2017.

1. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

She's about to hit her 30s in july and I'm 7 years younger than her. I've known her for 4 years and never made a step forward to create an intimate relationship and I guess the huge age gap is preventing me to get closer to her, other than that she's a great friend to me.
    There's never been awkward silence between us, we pretty much see each other every other day or so and occasionally organized diner toghether when we have days off from work and these days toghether keep on coming once in a while.
    I swear she subtly hinted me her mild interests at me like the appartment of a hotel where she currently lives and works is 'empty' or that she's isn't sharing it with other collegues..
    She's so much more socially open to me and of course vice versa, our conversations can go on forever but never tried showing my emotions for her - I sometimes think we're better off being good friends and leave our emotions behind us.

I'm trying not to be too obsessed over this dilemma, instead accept the fact that having a friend like her is something to cherish.. even though I do have deep emotions for her.

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  2. Tekkadan

Tekkadan Guest

Forget about it. You are friend material, not dating material in this instance. Spare yourself the pointless pain. Stop dreaming about "signs" or whatever. That's in your head. Love happens from the get-go, now at four years, you're a little brother at best. Be glad you have an nice friend. Other people would be jealous of you.

ivanhoe likes this.
  3. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

No intent to make people jealous just for having a long time friendship. Not necessarily a relationship has to start once you meet someone you like, many develop relationships after years of knowing someone.

I'm still keeping my high hopes and value things that hold in the long run.

mski77, SheMonk and sparkywantsnoPMO like this.
  4. There are men in their 20s who are together with women in their 50s. So her being 30 is like nothing. As long as it makes you happy who cares. It's your life and your happiness so why give that up because of the fear of not meeting other people's ideas of what is normal?! No! I would say go for it. It's not unheard of that platonic friendship turns into very passionate romantic relationship.

5. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

I agree with @Shugi Shugi. Last year when I was 26 I had a date with a 32 year old woman, which didn't evolve into more but her or my age wasn't the problem. Now I'm 27 and I'm interested in a girl which has just turned 21. I'd say that it's weird when you only like women which are a lot older or younger than you; otherwise age is just a number.

So, whatever your chances are: The age difference shouldn't be an obstacle, especially considering how long you've known each other.

NoBrainer and sparkywantsnoPMO like this.
  6. My ex was 7 years older than me and the age gap became a problem. In fact one of the reason the relationship ended was because of the age gap. But really the reason why it played a part in the relationship ending was because my ex let it play a part. Due to her insecurity she couldn't get past our age gap, she kept reminding me she was older than me. She would often tell me that I was a young man and she was an old lady and that drove me nuts. We were friends before the relationship started but I think ex's make terrible friends so I I've cut all ties with her. Sometimes I think I was an utter fool to even want to have a relationship with her.

I once read in a book that in relationships you both need to view each other as equals and sometimes when there's an age gap couples don't view each each other as their equals. Of course for some people having an age gap is ok because they don't let it effect their relationship. So @Jungler I'd say be careful. You may think you know this woman but from my experience women change when they go from being a friend to being in a relationship. If you have a relationship with her you'll probably see a side of that you've never seen. Before the relationship I had no idea she was as insecure as she was. I actually thought she was a highly confident person but I was so wrong. I should add that the end of my relationship isn't just my ex's fault, I made some mistakes that led to the relationship ending but her insecurity was a killer.

Deleted Account and Degman like this.
  7. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

If you and her are on the same level, I can't see no harm done. You're both adults, so go with whatever flow feels natural to you.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

I would't want to break my friendship with her for a simple stupid mistake I could make, even though my emotions grow deeper for her.

I never asked myself if she feels the same way I do. But I'm quite sure I'm a good friend to her.

9. QCA

QCA Fapstronaut

Women in their early 20s have some time for bullshit. Women in their 30s do not. If you arent serious dont screw around.

10. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

May I ask for more indepth insight on this?

I kind of fail to understand your statement on women in their 20s and 30s.

And yes, I'm being serious about this to find the best approach without screwing myself up leading me to a broken friendship.

11. Whitehammerhead

Whitehammerhead Fapstronaut

I'm 21 and my gf is 37 so its whatever you prefer. If your happy what's the problem. Other peoples opinion's do not matter. You are the one who has to live your life

12. BrandonCodi

BrandonCodi Fapstronaut

One of my good friends dated a 30 year old when he was 21 for 15 months. He actually ended up breaking it off with her because she wanted to have kids and he wasn't ready for that. I think you're making the right decision in just staying friends with her. You would mess things up for sure if you tried anything else and your friendship would never be the same.

There are also of course tons of great girls out there. There are girls out there that you don't have to worry about your age with too. I have always noticed in relationships that if there is something you feel insecure about and can't talk yourself out of it, then your relationship will suffer. This has happened to me numerous times. Fortunately now I am in a relationship with a girl who I see no flaws with and am proud to be seen with her. There is only an 18 month age gap too so that is no issue.

But enough about me.

Cheers, brother

13. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

I'm 26 and my wife is 31... makes no difference.

Does she know about your feelings towards her?

14. Happy Man

Happy Man Fapstronaut

No issue

It's all about chemistry

Jungler likes this.
  15. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

Hard to tell really. I never put my feet in others shoes as it's my way to not feel obsessed and overly attached.

She probably knows that I'm physically attracted to her, and I do remember meeting her 4 years ago and told my father that I look 'cute' and the year after she personally said to me that I looked even better, which gave me a big confidence boost.
    On the other hand, she might suspect a thing or two of my feelings towards her, but I've shown little emotions to her, so she wouldn't entirely know.

16. QCA

QCA Fapstronaut

Sure. As women get older there are biological and sociological pressures to marry and have children which do not exist for younger women.

17. I haven't read a single thing and felt like winging it. I'm gonna say, yes!

18. Not reading anything else...no...you're both adults...however if you want family and kids...also no she's still got a few good years.

19. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

Women in general has a natural instinct in knowing if a male is interested...

My only question to you is... do you want her?
    If you do, you need to make your intentions clear. There's nothing worse than a guy using nice guy tricks and playing dumb etc.

But...

If you intend on keeping her JUST as a friend... again, make your intentions clear.

Being open and honest about your intentions makes you vulnerable and manly, because you're putting your balls on the line.

Be straightforward and honest about your intentions. Risk being rejected.

20. She knows, but is probably waiting for you to act. It's a woman thing not a girl thing. She wants a man and men act. Boys wait for stuff to happen or act indecisively. You're letting some high school level fear keep you from acting. She's an adult and a woman. Women are perfectly capable of platonic friendships even after the possibility of a romantic relationship has been discussed amongst friends. The reality is you're the only one who's making this decision a bigger deal than it needs to be. You think you've left your emotions out of this, but I think you're kidding yourself there. You're balls deep in emotions right now. If you have no problem just being her friend then you have nothing to lose if she turns you down, so I don't see where there's a problem?

Also I'm not trying to be rude, just saying.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017