1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I join the service? (U.S.)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by AJ777, Jan 31, 2021.

1. AJ777

AJ777 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

So long ago I considered joining an easier/lesser branch of the U.S. armed forces such as the Navy or the Airforce. Basically, I want to join as an on-call/reserve. I don't want to be active duty - and I would like to take advantage of the free schooling. I am currently attending (online) community college to complete my writing certificate, but I am considering going full time to become an English Major. My ultimate goal (long-term) would be to get some kind of writing job (part-time during service, full time after) possibly as an English teacher, and in the future (hopefully) I can make a living writing/publishing books, as that is my dream.

I've always thought about joining in the past as I mentioned, but never did. Part of me is just super nervous / sketched out about taking such a big step and giving my life over to the government for four years (I would do whatever the minimum term is). But I think that it also might be beneficial, not only for the money and free schooling but I think I might learn a lot and also learn better self-discipline and might help form my character I guess... Idk.

Currently the branch I'm considering joining is the Air National Guard; as they have a base not too far from where I live. It looks pretty simple and seems easy, and they (claim) to take care of you and everything.... but of course, its always in the back of my mind that you are basically signing your life over to the govt. for four years at least and who knows what might happen.
    I know that the government is pretty corrupt and at the end of the day they don't really care about you all that much. I just don't know what else to do with my life and I'm wondering if this might be a good opportunity to branch out and do something different.
    I'm currently 25, living with my parents, working a minimum wage job, and I sure as hell don't want to still be doing this for the next five years.
    Thoughts?

2. L3t'sG0

L3t'sG0 Fapstronaut

I have no knowledge about what the military does on a day to day basis. I do have some thoughts you find to be useful.

If you want to be a writer, the first thing to recognize is that you can't write what you don't have. That's why a lot of writers often explore places or sometimes just research the topics they have to create stories. I don't know what genres you like to focus on, but at least try to use your imagination from time to time, even if it seems childish or stupid. That's creativity.

So with this in mind, you might find useful experiences by going to the military. On the topic of corruption, I do recognize that (in the US) they have made lots of mistakes. I don't have much advice on this other than know what you're doing. Evaluate the people you have to work with because sometimes you might be forced to do something against your code. It's ultimately your decision.

Hope you find this helpful.