1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I start boxing ?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Callaf, May 14, 2019.

1. Callaf

Callaf Fapstronaut

Hello guys !
    I have a question for you.
    I’m 18 years old , I have experience only in swimming(professional)
    I want to know how to defense myself and my family , boxing would be effective ? Or I should do other martial arts ?
    If anyone of you a boxer , please write here ,what to expect from training , is there some injuries and head traumas ?
    Thanks for response !

2. It's one of the best martial arts and it's great (if not the best) for fitness, But if you want a martial art strictly for self defence then I'd recommend muay thai. Muay thai is a little bit more advanced than boxing as it utilizes legs, knees, elbows, clinching and punching. Boxing only teaches you punching (but makes you very damn good at it). It would also be wise to combine boxing or muay thai with jiu jitsu or wrestling because they would make you a complete fighter whose able to fight well both on the ground and standing up. Boxing alone is still great for self defence and I recommend that you try it. I box and practice jiu jitsu.

Ra's Al Ghul and Don Corleone like this.
  3. Callaf

Callaf Fapstronaut

Thx mate .
    Again , boxing is very traumatic sport , how can I prevent injury ?

4. Cake Shop

Cake Shop Fapstronaut

I only tried boxing for a little bit but never fought in the ring and didn't do it for long. Tried judo for a bit as well. That's all the experience I have. But from your question, it sounds like you'd like some sort of self-defence system type of training. Boxing can get you out in a pinch but it's not geared for protection as its main thing. It's a combat sport. Outside the ring, things might change. Perhaps something like MMA that has Muai Thai and other martial arts mixed in could work? Or maybe search for a place that solely focuses on self-defence training for real-life situations. But you must know that self-defence is more about your surroundings and not getting yourself in bad situations to begin with. Fighting is a last resort as the outcome of a fight is never guaranteed to be in your favour.

About the traumatic thing, all combat sports are "traumatic". Even having done judo which is relatively safe, there are injuries all the time. If want to be injury free, don't practice a combat sport or anything that requires body-to-body contact. Simple as that.

5. enz

enz Fapstronaut

6. TonyH

TonyH Fapstronaut

I would recommend martial arts instead of boxing. Less traumatic. I've been a black belt in Kenpo Karate and it really makes you think and utilize your whole body when defending yourself. It can be high contact if you want. But a lot of it is self-defense utilizing all extremities. My sensei has been excellent because he also was a wrestler and offensive. So I've learned some of those skills also. Good luck

7. EmperorLaStrang

EmperorLaStrang Fapstronaut

I personally do BJJ and have done boxing in past.

I prefer BJJ, because I find it easier to learn and I'm paranoid about traumatic head injuries. Which can be a byproduct of Boxing, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, etc. Not to say to not do them. As BJJ has its own risks with it too (just look at the news recently), however, I want to keep the lights from flickering upstairs as long as I possibly can. Lol.