1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I take a break from music and lower my consumption of it?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by The Mindful Metalhead, Jul 29, 2020.

1. The Mindful Metalhead

The Mindful Metalhead Fapstronaut

Now this may seem weird to read from someone who's username has the word "Metalhead" in it (a term used for someone/a community of people who are die-hard fans of metal music) but hear me out.

Music is a big part of my life. Metal is my favorite genre but I also listen to other music genres occasionally as well. I constantly think about it with having songs in my head, listening to it super often, writing and playing songs, watching videos and news about it. You get the idea.

The reason why I ask this question is not because I feel like it's taking a huge toll in my life, music has helped me tremendously before. But I seem to be using music alot as a way to escape from reality rather than using it for entertainment purposes only.

I don't plan on giving up music at all, but would like to experiment with it in a way to see what would happen if I took a break from it, almost like a dopamine detox. And if I had this metal detox, if you will, and get good results, I would then want to listen to it again, but not constantly so that those moments I have of listening to music count.

I also want to see if anyone else has ever done this before. From what I've heard when you do nofap music sounds 100 times better, so I am also curious about that. Thanks for reading this post and I can't wait to read what y'all think :)

2. r8js

r8js Fapstronaut

It's high time to stop music......

3. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

I think you should, and even more if it's metal because in my opinion it freaks you out, from very past and short exposure I had. It also contains negativity in my opinion.
    Been dopamine detox for a very long time and no music is a part of it. Overall increased my performance and I'm more focused ever since. It crazy how music changes people and affects their emotions. This is a thread I'll suggest checking out, there is some interesting perspectives on this subject.
    Here:

https://forum.nofap.com/index.php?threads/no-music.265442/

The Mindful Metalhead likes this.